Sign in to follow this  
Profontaine

Strike Fighters vs Wings Over Europe

Hello everyone. I bought Strike Fighters Gold about a month ago, and I've had a blast with it. The question for me now is, is it worth to buy Wings Over Europe as well? Or am I "just" paying for an extra terrain set?

Would be great to hear about how much different it is to play!

(Also, since I assume I'll get some suggestions for that, I'm not very interested in Wings Over Israel).

Thanks in advance!

Hello everyone. I bought Strike Fighters Gold about a month ago, and I've had a blast with it. The question for me now is, is it worth to buy Wings Over Europe as well? Or am I "just" paying for an extra terrain set?

Would be great to hear about how much different it is to play!

(Also, since I assume I'll get some suggestions for that, I'm not very interested in Wings Over Israel).

Thanks in advance!

Well If you wanted just one game I think you should have bought WOE instead.

Partialy for the reasons I mention at the end of this post http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=25939&hl=

that beeing that WoE has some files in it that you will really apretiate when starting to mod your game. Like all the cockpits from the previous games.

Then there's the content it self. I think stock WoE content is much more interesting that SFP1 and makes for much more interesting and diverse campaigns.

But that's a complicated question to be making as I'm sure most people here will tell you get them all !!! get all planes in the same game!!! then Get some add-on planes as well :yes: !!!

But that's probably not what you are looking for...

Thanks for the answer!

I have a ton of addons as it is now, in my SFP install. And I'd be willing to migrate to Wings Over Europe if there's enough reason...

I'm mainly wondering if there is any gameplay differences in terms of game mechanics, rather than content (since I think 90% of the interesting content is community made anyway).

I'm mainly wondering if there is any gameplay differences in terms of game mechanics, rather than content (since I think 90% of the interesting content is community made anyway).

TK always brings his older games upto the same game engine level as the new via free patches.

What you are paying for with a new game are new terrain, new models, new campaigns/missions etc. & the continuing development of the game engine.

WoE is a good choice.Esp with the mods available,in particular the new farms and forest mod transforms the terrain with huge forested areas,electricity pylons,road signs......

I started with SF,havent played it once since getting WoE......

I started with SFG about one month ago and then bought WOE new off ebay for a fiver and WOV as a download from TW. I've now settled on a 'merged' SFG and WOE as I'm not that interested in the Vietnam era.

I will get WOI as it's of real interest but I'm going to wait a bit until my four-year old PC is further upgraded or replaced!

I stuck with SFG for 4 years until now that I've got WOI.

The Desert is the best terrain.

FM, AI, etc are the same as WOE AFAIK. So you won't get any extra in the challenge.

Until patches are released to bring them up to the same standard, WOI is currently the most advanced of his games. SFP1, WoV, and WoE are all at a common point and indeed the only differences are the terrain and planes included and what the menus look like. :grin:

I stuck with SFG for 4 years until now that I've got WOI.

The Desert is the best terrain.

Just curious dude, but have you noticed that the default SF terrains kinda looks like the outer metro areas of Radelaide, the Hills notwithstanding??

Thanks for all the input! I ended up getting Wings Over Europe, and with the forests and farms addon, I think it's a great complement to SFP (the Desert gets a bit monotonous after a while). And it feels really good to pay for games like this when you know almost all of the profit goes directly to the indie developer.

Thanks again in any case.