Sign in to follow this  
StanG

Help with landing, mission 9

Hi All,

I am new to Falcon AF. I'm having hard time to get grips with the sim.

I have been trying to land (mission 9, Landing Final Approach). I load the mission, starting conditions are 200 knots, throttle mid-range (they seem to call any speed mid-range, be it 200 or 400 knots, hence I'm not sure how to adjust my throttle). If I keep the speed at 200 knots, which is around 75% RPM, lower the landing gear and try to keep the flight path marker on the level line 0 degrees, I'm below the speed of 160 knots in no time.

My other option is to get the speed below 300 knots, then lower the landing gear. This starts slowing the jet itself. Following the instructions and start slowing the jet to 160 knots by setting RPM to about 75% and keeping the flight path marker on the level line 0 degrees, slows me down very quickly and again I am below 160 knots in no time. Never mind extending the speed brakes which I should be doing next! My only option now is to rev the engine as much as I can not to fall. I'm sure that this is not how to do it!

Any comments what I'm doing wrong, what I should be doing instead would be great. Or possibly direct me to some page with 'fool-proof' instructions how to land/successfully finish mission 9.

Many thanks for your help guys.

Hi All,

I am new to Falcon AF. I'm having hard time to get grips with the sim.

I have been trying to land (mission 9, Landing Final Approach). I load the mission, starting conditions are 200 knots, throttle mid-range (they seem to call any speed mid-range, be it 200 or 400 knots, hence I'm not sure how to adjust my throttle). If I keep the speed at 200 knots, which is around 75% RPM, lower the landing gear and try to keep the flight path marker on the level line 0 degrees, I'm below the speed of 160 knots in no time.

My other option is to get the speed below 300 knots, then lower the landing gear. This starts slowing the jet itself. Following the instructions and start slowing the jet to 160 knots by setting RPM to about 75% and keeping the flight path marker on the level line 0 degrees, slows me down very quickly and again I am below 160 knots in no time. Never mind extending the speed brakes which I should be doing next! My only option now is to rev the engine as much as I can not to fall. I'm sure that this is not how to do it!

Any comments what I'm doing wrong, what I should be doing instead would be great. Or possibly direct me to some page with 'fool-proof' instructions how to land/successfully finish mission 9.

I don't remember exactly what the mission tutorial says, but you're not going to be able to set the throttle in one spot and not touch it. You'll have to keep making small adjustments all the way down to keep the flight path marker in the right spot.

For me personally, I usually drop the throttle pretty low to get my speed around 200 kts or so, but then after gear (and brakes) come out I usually need to throttle back up considerable to keep my airspeed in the 150-160 range and keep the FPM on the end of the runway.

Basically, use whatever throttle setting you need to to get to the runway. Small adjustments and think ahead.

Remember, when in landing config you control altitude with the throttle and speed with attitude! :wink:

Or possibly direct me to some page with 'fool-proof' instructions how to land/successfully finish mission 9.

Heres one way

start at about 2000 AGL - keep the FPM on the near end of the runway to keep a shallow decent - keep the speed about 190kts

Flare when you are near the ground as normal - dont lift the FPM above about 12 degrees otherwise you land on your a*se. As soon as you land hold down k - put throttle to zero - and if you are not straight get the nose down and put the NWS on (while holding down k still) - keeping it on the runway and breaking are priority.

Theres no foolproof way - even now the final landing can be touch and go for me sometimes - u just need to practise - the SF series dont quite prepare you for this nightmare!

Try landing the Su-25 in LOMAC: Flaming Cliffs, that makes F4 look easy. Otherwise, I think F4 is the hardest to land I've flown.

Thanks! I finally landed!

I guess I should not follow the manual to slow to 160 knots and keep the FPM on level line 0 degrees. That way I will definitely fall down. The only way I can land is to get the runway to 3 degrees below the level line, only then I get the landing gear down, extend speed brakes, point at the runway and then just do my best to keep it that way.

It's definitely more art than science. I usually bounce my landings pretty badly, but in the old F4 I used to smash the engine nozzle by flaring too much. So, practice makes...slightly better.

Try landing the Su-25 in LOMAC: Flaming Cliffs, that makes F4 look easy. Otherwise, I think F4 is the hardest to land I've flown.

Havnt played that so will take your word for it :rolleyes:

If I play F4 consistently my landings will improve to the point where I not only land straight but can keep the nose wheel up - still with plenty of time to stop. If I dont play it for a few months - then it will mean lots of dodgy landings till I practise it again!

I also had difficulties landing and started a thread on Nov. 28 asking for assistance. Here's the link:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=23666

Take a look at post #4 where Platinum Rogue kindly provided a link to a Download Tutorial. Believe me, once you read that you'll know exactly what to do, and best of all, it works!!

Good luck.

Thanks Conehead,

This tutorial is great, I can land with ease now, well...ease... I know exactly what to do and how to do it. I don't suppose you've seen a link for the Instrument landing with a great tutorial like this one?

I wish I did (but unfortunately I don't), and I've certainly found that trying to land by instruments was a nightmare in futility. Others tell me it's practice, practice, practice...

Never mind landing with the instruments, at this moment, I wish I could at least centre the CDI on the HSI. I usually overshoot, too short, or end up on an angle and once I straighten up I'm going elsewhere.

Also, I don't have the From/To indicator in red when I fly towards the station. It is never in red, no matter which direction I am heading. One of them is in red in the manual when you fly towards the station. The HSI is a bit of a puzzle to me. And what is the red rectangle? And the dots, degrees of deflection, how do you use it?

I'm scratching my head! Any help, or links to tutorials for Tacan, HSI, ILS would be great. Thanks