Sign in to follow this  
hookedonphono

Wingman Permission to Engage- help

I have to admit, this one is baffling me & I feel I'm missing something simple. When in range of a bandit my wingmen request permission to engage. The manual states that I can press the "Y" key to allow this. It doesn't work though, Y just opens the Tanker comm page as usual.

I have studied the keychart & found no info there at all. Is there an old salt out there who can tell me what the actual key command is, or if one exists? :dntknw:

Hooked

Hooked,

I personally do not know if there is a hot-key or keyboard short cut to give the go-ahead, so I usually take the long way. When a wingman asks permission to engage, hit the "tab" key which opens up communications w/ your squadron, tanker, awacs, tower, ect. Once there, kit the corresponding key for your wingman, element lead, or your entire flight. New commands should pop up, and if I remember correctly, the button 4 gives the selected plane(s) the go ahead for weapons free.

I know I know, it's a bit of a walk around, but once you use it enough, you can do it w/o thinking.

What game are you guys playing. I have WOE and they don't ask me for permission, i just give them the command to "engage air".

What game are you guys playing. I have WOE and they don't ask me for permission, i just give them the command to "engage air".

PIGHUNTA69,

Uh, take a look what forum you're in. Probably not the ThirdWire series of games...

FastCargo

I have to admit, this one is baffling me & I feel I'm missing something simple. When in range of a bandit my wingmen request permission to engage. The manual states that I can press the "Y" key to allow this. It doesn't work though, Y just opens the Tanker comm page as usual.

I have studied the keychart & found no info there at all. Is there an old salt out there who can tell me what the actual key command is, or if one exists? :dntknw:

Hooked

This is for both Air and Ground engagements

If its just your wingman press W to get the menu then press 4 for weapons free

If its one of your element press E then 4 for weps free

If its everyone in your flight press R then 4

Before you do it blindly check if they will just be flying alone head first into 4 SU-27s

Yes you can also use the TAB key to access all the menus too

You will see if you keep pressing the W,R, Or E key you will scroll though all the commands for the wingman menu - there are loads - good luck

Edited by CoolHand29

Hooked[/qu

Edited by madmonk

Hooked

Read the post above then you will find out :good:

Dont take the manual word for word - a lot has changed since it was released

Treat the manual as a rough quick start guide - you will learn most things from forums and online flying

Also you can change the key mapping if you really want to use the Y key

Aha, thanks. I guess I'm remembering the old Jane's series where you could give an "Affirmative" to the wingies' call.

I actually had a MiG-21 to the rear of the flight & told the other element to clear their six- I assumed at the time they would shoot whatever they found. However, they asked permission first, so I tried to get a padlock so I could tell them to "Engage my target". Before that happened they both called "engaged defensive", & then they got smoked.

Aha, thanks. I guess I'm remembering the old Jane's series where you could give an "Affirmative" to the wingies' call.

I actually had a MiG-21 to the rear of the flight & told the other element to clear their six- I assumed at the time they would shoot whatever they found. However, they asked permission first, so I tried to get a padlock so I could tell them to "Engage my target". Before that happened they both called "engaged defensive", & then they got smoked.

I used to use that but not any more - but its best to find out the distance of the Migs first if you can from AWACs - under 20 miles in 2010 I would consider not turning around incase they had R-77s. Under 5 miles then run to your nearest F-22 / F-15 flight - because turning quickly will burn your speed off, theres no easy way to aquire them unless you have labels on (or use padlock)- and you will just walk into their missiles.

On the other hand they may be on a CAS mission or out of ammo - so you could get lucky!!

Edited by CoolHand29