Sign in to follow this  
WarlordATF

The Genie was let out of the bottle

I cant contribute alot as far as mods, but when i find something cool i try to share.

I have been reading alot about the Nuclear Tests of Operation Plumbob in 1957. Here is a cool picture of the only time a AIR-2A Genie was ever fired with a live warhead. It was launched as the "John" Shot,Almost looks like the sun huh?

geniebq3.jpg

That is a damn cool find. Thank you for sharing it. That is something I have never ran across.

Coooooooooool pic, relative close to the Airfield huh?? :blink:

Coooooooooool pic, relative close to the Airfield huh?? :blink:

Very close,Not sure which base that is in the pic but Area 51, then known as Watertown would often have to be shutdown and evacuated due to high radiation and fallout landing on the base. Even scaryier, 6 men stood directly under the detonation, it was only 18000ft over there heads! Another cool fact was that shot was done from a F-89J Scorpion, not the F-106.

Edited by WarlordATF

Thank you for this photo!

Any other pics?

I have on HD old beta of Genie explosion, could release it, but lack good reference photos to develop properly

Thank you for this photo!

Any other pics?

I have on HD old beta of Genie explosion, could release it, but lack good reference photos to develop properly

This was the only other picture i saved. But Google Operation Plumbbob and you will find tons of information and pics. YouTube has a couple cool videos too. It was kinda funny to see what happened to a Blimp (Airship) that they used as part of another test. It was a strange time when we didnt know a whole lot about Nuclear Weapons and we detonated close to 2000 Nuclear Weapons in all the tests combined, Many of them right here in the USA!

genie2gc0.jpg

Thanks for info, will check

More than likely, that Scorpion is at Nellis, since Frenchman Flats isn't too far east of there.

When in Las Vegas, visit the Nevada Test Site Mueasuem.

Wrench

kevin stein

Very rare!Thanks for the info!