Sign in to follow this  
JKstar

Unsinkable Carrier?

I add a soviet carrier in my WOE, edit a mission to sink it using AGM-86. However, I can't sink it no matter how heavy the explosive mass is... :dntknw: and, the AGM seems to be detonated a certain distance away from the target...the attachment 1 is the screenshot the time AGM blasted, attachment 2 is the "ini" data file of the carrier "Orjol",which is unsinkable...

Thank you for your help!

post-25313-1204303730_thumb.jpg

Orjol_DATA.rar

IIRC ships that are acting as aircraft carriers are unsinkable...if you check the addon section you'll find some ships that come in two versions, one serving as a carrier and the other as a mere warship, which can be destroyed.

IIRC ships that are acting as aircraft carriers are unsinkable...if you check the addon section you'll find some ships that come in two versions, one serving as a carrier and the other as a mere warship, which can be destroyed.

Thank you! But what should I do to change a carrier into a mere warship?

Having carriers be "sinkable" would pose some interesting problems for AI aircraft flying from them... Where do they go if their carrier is sunk? Do they just circle around where they thought it should be and wait to run out of fuel? Do they go look for somewhere else to go? What if YOUR carrier was sunk while you were on a mission? Would you know when it happened? When would you get a radio call, if any? Would you abort your mission to go help? Having no base to which to return opens a whole other course of events....

Having carriers be "sinkable" would pose some interesting problems for AI aircraft flying from them... Where do they go if their carrier is sunk? Do they just circle around where they thought it should be and wait to run out of fuel? Do they go look for somewhere else to go? What if YOUR carrier was sunk while you were on a mission? Would you know when it happened? When would you get a radio call, if any? Would you abort your mission to go help? Having no base to which to return opens a whole other course of events....

Oh, I see...

Would it be possible to change a carrier into a "general" warship just like a destroyer or something can be sunk through "ini edit"? and, How?

Having carriers be "sinkable" would pose some interesting problems for AI aircraft flying from them... Where do they go if their carrier is sunk? Do they just circle around where they thought it should be and wait to run out of fuel? Do they go look for somewhere else to go?

I still don't saw it, but what AI do when you destroy the runway of their home base? They still land on that runway? If they just land as if nothing happens, so it's a fail of campaign management. I believe that the answer for this question could be applied to carriers.

What if YOUR carrier was sunk while you were on a mission? Would you know when it happened? When would you get a radio call, if any? Would you abort your mission to go help? Having no base to which to return opens a whole other course of events....

"Simple", you loose your campaign as same way you loose the campaign if your home base is captured. You return to your carrier, don't find nothing and can spend some time looking for your CV until you run out of fuel or divert to a friendly airbase. Anyhow, you loose the campaign. Maybe you can abandon your mission, resulting in a mission fail, but can save the carrier. It's depends on how the campaign engine manage the objects of the campaign.

Until the point that I could see, the planes flying in a mission is somehow related to your mission. So I think, maybe I'm wrong, that in a case of an attack to your carrier your mission probably would be intercept the attackers. If your plane is an attack aircraft, you will have to rely on your fellows AI to protect your home base while you go strike the enemy somewhere else.

It make me remember one thing, I still don't saw my base been destroyed. :grin:

everybody knows that USN Aircraft Carriers are Invincible!!

:wink:

Until someone nukes them from below :tongue:

The same to the Russian?

I thought the Invincible was a British boat??

The reason they're undestructable is the collision meshes, that make them a runway. You can remove them, and thereby create a "normal" ship for say, convoys or in port scenery, but then you can't use them to fly from.

You'd need to create a 'copy' thats destructable. Not hard at all.

Wrench

kevin stein

i guess this was of British guys!

:haha:

I thought the Invincible was a British boat??

The reason they're undestructable is the collision meshes, that make them a runway. You can remove them, and thereby create a "normal" ship for say, convoys or in port scenery, but then you can't use them to fly from.

You'd need to create a 'copy' thats destructable. Not hard at all.

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks! I will try that...

Invincible is the name of one class of the British carriers, but in fact, all of the carriers in WOE seem to be "Invincible" :rolleyes:

Well, in a campaign, a destroyed runway can be repaired... That would be a bit more difficult with a sunk carrier... Anyway, AI need to be "told" (programmed) what to do explicitly, otherwise you get unexpected outcomes...

Jeez the possibibi :biggrin: litees are scary