Sign in to follow this  
Oscar

Noob Questions - *.Cat Extraction

Greetings to All:

I'm just getting started with SF:P1. Great FlightSim..BTW. I've been reading about "extracting *.cat files to get to *.ini" files. After some research, I found the Cat Extractor over at CheckSix, installed it and began exploring.

So, I thought I'd give it a try, using MontyCZ's "Crater Mod". I extracted the "ParticleSystem.ini" made the changes and ran the game. I didn't see the new effect but I did go back verify each line change in the *.ini file so I'm pretty sure its right.

The question I have at this point is: There are now, 2 "ParticleSystem.ini" files in the ../Flight directory - one in the FlightData.cat file and the extracted one. Shouldn't there be only one file? Does the game know to use the extracted one - or - does it always go and use the one in the *.cat" file regardless. If this is the cases, why not just extract the entire *.cat file and remove the cat file?

Any assistance is appreciated, since this appears to be a major step in modding the game.

The game uses extracted files first and when it is unusable (something wrong is in it) then it has second file in CAT archive so dont delete cat file :-)

remember you must have crater.tga file placed into flight directory (name must be the same as in particlesystem.ini file)

Thanks Monty.

Obviously then, something is dorked in the *.ini file. I'll check it again.

Thanks, got it. I want to run a compare on the ParticleSystem.ini files and see where I went wrong.

Again thanks to all.......