Sign in to follow this  
column5

Modding / Permissions

Five years ago, a small group of us who bought into TK's vision began working intensively to create aircraft, cokpits, skins and other content for the series. The pace has never let up, and the number of mods available is astounding. People have come and gone, leaving a huge library for the community. Years ago when the community is small, a tradition started whereby we would check with other modders before using any of their work in new projects. It was gentlemanly and promoted goodwill and cooperation.

The policy has served us well, but I think we have outgrown it. There are so many files out there, and so many people have come and gone, that it no longer promotes close relationships, but stifles creativity and growth.

I would like to ask all modders to consider this, and if you agree, join me in the following decision.

From this point on any work that is attributable solely to me, such as skins, flight models, etc. is free to be used with only two requirements. First, please don't use my work as part of a payware product, and second, if feasible please put a link to www.column5.us in the readme if you used any of my original work. You DO NOT have to contact me or ask for permission. If my work can contribute to other creative projects, I want you to go for it.

This of course applies only to work for which I am the sole author. Things on my site credited to others, and Mirage Factory projects (I can't and won't speak for the entire MF team in this matter) are not included.

Sounds reasonable to me! I will follow your suggestion, just give credits for the work you use would make things a lot easier, especially for beginners. :good: So if anyone is using things i made, feel free to do so. Only limitations like Column5 said, no payware use and some credits in the Readme.

Me too, but I would add that the original readme file needs to be included in the mod :good:

Anyone wants to use my mods (read: repaints), that is A-OK with me. Like C5 said, no payware and credit in the readme. I also agree with Paladrian.

Edited by Longestpants

When asked, I don't think I've ever said no. Just put my name in the readme... that's why I use this little bit I call "Legal BS" in every one of my readmes...

Legal BS:

This is freeware; it CAN be distrubuted if permission is granted by me, the original creator, and the original readmes and all other pieces of the package remain intact.

This package may NOT in any way, shape or form be used in any payware addition.

See the original readme documentation (if any) for further allowances and restrictions

Any persons wishing to make further modfications, MUST obtain permission from the whole of the developers/moders.

Bribes are accepted; ask for the day's going rates

I expecially like the last line :rolleyes:

Hell, I even ask my own Team-mates to include OUR own stuff...I've always thought it was the considerate, thoughtfull thing to do.

I just wanna be asked....(ok, it's a 'never got to dance at the Prom thing' .....)

Wrench

kevin stein

btw: good for you Don! :good:

as always my skins are for freeware use as a thank you to the community.If anyone finds a reeware use for them they are most welcome to use them as they see fit.a thanksa in the readme would be nice but no permission is needed.

Hell yeah, that is what we need. The same goes for me. This of course applies only to work for which I am the sole author as C5 said. I am sick of this "Lets track down the author and hope they say yes." Lets get off this claimware BS and go to fair use.

I just wanna be asked....

That is the thing we are trying to get away from. Fair use, instead of stroking of egos which I think it ends up being.

That is the thing we are trying to get away from. Fair use, instead of stroking of egos which I think it ends up being.

Maybe for some people it was an ego thing, but I think for most of us it was useful to keep up with what other modders were doing, make new contacts and keep an eye on quality. Since things are growing so big now, we need to streamline things and make it easier for people. IMO, of course.

Now this is nice.....hoorray for the noble gesture! (thats how its spelled?) :clapping:

I agree! :good:

My skins/mods are available to all... so if you want to modify them for pushing the series further..... go for it!

Credit me in the read me and the post....hell I'm good with that. :clapping:

As stated above.... my work will always be free and CAN NOT be used in payware!

Now this is nice.....hoorray for the noble gesture! (thats how its spelled?) :clapping:

You got the spelling. ;)

And thanks. I have to admit though, its a totally selfish act...I want SF modding to grow to dominate the flight sim world. Muahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Maybe for some people it was an ego thing, but I think for most of us it was useful to keep up with what other modders were doing, make new contacts and keep an eye on quality. Since things are growing so big now, we need to streamline things and make it easier for people. IMO, of course.

Agreed, simple is always better. It encourages growth and new cooperation among fellow enthusiasts.

enthusiasts.

Is that what I am??? :lmaosmiley:

You got the spelling. ;)

And thanks. I have to admit though, its a totally selfish act...I want SF modding to grow to dominate the flight sim world. Muahahahahahahaha!!!!!!!

Thanks! :biggrin: Me too! :notworthy:

Ohhh, and Ace Combat too, in an weird sort of way :cool:

You got the spelling. ;)

Now lets see who steps up and follow suit.

I have a feeling we may get the Mirage Factory on board with this but have to ask. What about the A Team? What do you all say? Lets start this revolution. VIVA FAIR USE!

I may only have two crappy skins but any future mods I'm doing are good to go. Just give me some credit.

Oh, I must ask as a fan of the what-if and fictional stuff, are we freegame to use modders stuff in a mod of our own? I know some modders aren't fans of the fictional stuff at all so I might as well ask now....(so that I can release a mod :wink: ) I've got many fictional mods on my HD waiting for the day they can meet Combatace...

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

As fara s I am concerned it does't matter whether its historical or fictional. We need everyone to grow this thing.

:clapping: Thank you. Now just need to wait for some more peoples acceptance of this.

I mean think of the advantages. No peeing contests. No he said she said. None of it, we fly, we mod we all win, we all get along. We really become a community. A better one at that.

I'm in. Anyone wants to use any of my stuff all you have to do is include the original Readme file...and no payware please. :clapping:

Sounds reasonable to me! I will follow your suggestion, just give credits for the work you use would make things a lot easier, especially for beginners. :good: So if anyone is using things i made, feel free to do so. Only limitations like Column5 said, no payware use and some credits in the Readme.

Does this mean I can make a repaint of your Tornado cockpit? :biggrin:

As someone who has been simming for almost 20 years I have to say that the spirit of community is alive and well when people put time energy and effort into any project and share it with the people who enjoy the same hobby....your gesture is commnedable and from a simmer who often enjoys the modding work of others and see it as a vital part of the hobby I tip my cap....well done!

Mindbender