With all this complaining going on about how long LO-MAC's been in the works, the delays on Il-2:FB patches, I just wanted to add my thought on the matter.

I was in the Il-2 forums and saw a thread debating the trees in FB. How they deflected and blocked rounds and rockets. People were asking Oleg to fix it so certain rounds could pass through, and others would be detonated. SOmeone even suggested that during winter it'd be easier for bullets to pass through sicne the trees would be bare.

When you start expecting a sm developer to calculate the deflection qualities of different seasons of trees, its no wonder that simulations like LO-MAC and FB take so very long to create and to patch.

Hell, I'm amazed that they managed to get FB and it's complex flight and damage models to run on anything but a Cray. I mean, yeah, computers are getting more and more powerful, but it still takes comparably the same time for a programmer to work through the same complex algorithm. Just look at X-Plane as an example. Its been around for I don't know how long, say just ten years. With a single programmer who has worked full time on it. You can exactly chart the performance and complexity of the simulation.

Just think of that the next time you complain about the delays on LO-MAC and FB. I definately had to step back and hold my tongue.

Yeah it isn't just the flite sim community.

Sierra has been working 6 freekin months on a patch for N2003 and they finally get it close to done...it gets leaked...and it's got a major multiplayer bug in it.

So it's back to...we'll have it done soon...lol!! :D :shock:

Well, I do agree that when we start to get totally hardcore flight simulations that have major air to ground action, it will definately play a part. But in order for us to see such earth shattering realism we're going to have to settle for longer development times.

Guest MrMudd

I agree if we look at the sims back in the mid 90's they were only verying from 8-30 megs in size.

I believe the Time Management and the expense it takes to build todays and future sim titles. That it will take allot more Capital and resources as well as development time to satisfy the gameing market.

I think Eagle Dynamics has been wise in their approach of pulling resources from past developments like the Flanker series and expanding upon them. This is where Microprose and EA errored in their sim management.

Right now UBI has 2 Heavy Hitters. Il2 series and the Eagle Dynamics Flanker and Lomac series. No competitors and both of these sims have a large following if not all of the sim market dollars comeing there direction.

I downloaded DI's Tornado and DI's Longbow today from a site that hosts Giveaway software from publishers. its amazing how far the Gameing market has evolved in the past 10 years

I knew I had a reason for these old 486s in storage.

Guest MrMudd

http://free-game-downloads.mosw.com/

in the Abandonware section.

Also have sometimes irresistible desire for playing some old game, you used to play at a time, and not only on PC? Then abandonware section is here right for you. You retrieve here full versions of games, that have got their greatest fame already long over, however this doesn't in any case mean, that you can not be having great fun by them! These lovely nostalgical recollections are now here for you, totally for free.

I should post a link to that on the main page. I'm sure there a few that would love to take it out for a spin again.