Sign in to follow this  
Stary

Green Hell for Wings over Vietnam

ncredible; I am speechless; initially I avoded brain32 tiles, even if used his tods profusely.

But this was a great marriage between brain's tile and Stary,'s tods

And as rarely happens for eye candy, it has an impact on gameplay

Let me explain.

In the (sadly, but necessarily censored by CA staff) vietnamsea data and types I published, there were a lot of target areas, representing hochiminh truck farms, and routes. (somethign from me, something from the FREEWARE version of YAP, that I had received permission for, and once published on CA, and something from the VMAF-531 set of mission from comptntr , who gave me permission,.

Troops, hamlets, trucks are now often hidden by the forest. With the hud set without the red square, missions are really now turning into, a "bomb that piece of forest" in a Flight of the Intruder's fashion.

Looking for secondaries, to prove you have hitten something, and the tracer and flak erutpting from the jungle

Now we can say, really

South east asia, as it was.

I would like to release the Protective reaction campaign I designed, but,,is anyone itnerested?

Surely Canadair,

anyone knows what's the reason behind gumpy's nad lamanai's water anomalies?

Surely Canadair,

Sounds like corrupted tgas to me, not sure though.

BTW I love the mod,it looks incredible!

But sadly it kills my fps when dogfighting.

Any chance of a lite version with 50% of the trees? :dntknw:

Edited by WarlordATF

Sounds like corrupted tgas to me, not sure though.

BTW I love the mod,it looks incredible!

But sadly it kills my fps when dogfighting.

Any chance of a lite version with 50% of the trees? :dntknw:

Surely :yes:

It's easy to slightly decrease the number of trees by simple ini edit:

By doing so, you'll increase FPS without noticeable visual quality change

Open vietnamsea_data.ini

at the very top of it you have:

[TerrainMesh]

TextureThreshold=0.80

LowDetailMeshThreshold=0.50

MedDetailMeshThreshold=0.30

TileToHeightGridRatio=4

RenderMeshVertexCount=4096

RenderMeshIndexCount=6144

SolidObjectVertexCount=4096

SolidObjectIndexCount=6144

AlphaObjectVertexCount=4096 //2048

AlphaObjectIndexCount=6144 //3072

Change these numbers to original values:

AlphaObjectVertexCount=2048

AlphaObjectIndexCount=3072

(I doubled these values to show more than 256 objects placed in .tod files)

Surely Canadair,

i had a similar problem a lot of withe places (i use the Edward Eisler terraine from RazBam) i changed some entrys in the data.ini from .TGA back to .BMP and changed on the same files the entry HasWater=1 to HasWater=0

now all works fine ( except occasional some trees on the runway )

Hey

Thx for this beautiful work it brings this game to another immersion level

it works fine with brain32 terrain but got pb with yap terrain , i didn't copy the bmp and tga like you said . no more brain 32 tiles everything seems fine but i got switching textures depending on my external view, i mean i got green texture then i got water then green texture again.. perharps wilco could tell us if he gets this too

anyway thx a lot for sharing your work

Hey

Thx for this beautiful work it brings this game to another immersion level

it works fine with brain32 terrain but got pb with yap terrain , i didn't copy the bmp and tga like you said . no more brain 32 tiles everything seems fine but i got switching textures depending on my external view, i mean i got green texture then i got water then green texture again.. perharps wilco could tell us if he gets this too

anyway thx a lot for sharing your work

Such texture swapping happens when texture listed in vietnamsea_data.ini ain't present, from what I know, YAP terrain adds several new textures to the terrain, and mine data is for standard terrain only.

You should PM wilco, he has rewritten vietnamsea_data.ini to use YAP terrain textures and mine TODs for his YAP install, seems to run OK for him (check the top of this page)

Or wilco could you post your rewritten ini for YAP users to safe them work? Just an idea

I think the texture swapping is caused by mismatches of the "HasWater" entries. I'll post that file later, because right now I'm experiencing some odd crashes: When loading YGBSM, i get a blue screen (seems to be related to my video driver), can anyone reproduce this?

I think the texture swapping is caused by mismatches of the "HasWater" entries. I'll post that file later,

:good: thx a lot it would be cool

because right now I'm experiencing some odd crashes: When loading YGBSM, i get a blue screen (seems to be related to my video driver), can anyone reproduce this?

you mean the windows xp message error blue screen? i use to have it with yap or woe i never found an issue to this pb, i dont think it's due to your video drivers because when i reinstalled the game everything went fine. ...

CA-Stary - you truly are a king amoungst men - I would have paid for that mod!

In fact with the trees the high res looks much better than the payware terrains - the tile edges arnt so obvious either.

The only issue I could think of for people installing this into a YAP install is that some targets and objects may have trees growing out of them now.

I think the texture swapping is caused by mismatches of the "HasWater" entries. I'll post that file later, because right now I'm experiencing some odd crashes: When loading YGBSM, i get a blue screen (seems to be related to my video driver), can anyone reproduce this?

yes you're right, odd is I have checked data and everything is fine on my side.

What is YGBSM mod?

YGBSM is YAP mission where you're flying the F-100 F Wild Weasel. As soon as the loading screen says 100% my system crashes. Other missions heading for the same target area (Phu Tho) work fine, so I guess it has nothing to do with the modded terrain.

Beautiful mod, CA_Stary. Thanks for posting that data.ini fix. I'm now able to run all graphics on high settings if I turn off shadows, cockpit reflections, and use Normal for my terrain distance. I get a very slight hit to frame rates over the large jungle areas, but nothing unacceptable. Oh, I did use one other ancient fix on my low end system (1.4Mhz). I used a paint program I have to reduce the size of Brain32's .bmp's from 512 to 256. Hated to do it, but I had to, because of my system. Don't use YAP, so I can't help with any ideas there. Posting this to say thanks, and offer another idea to people with low end systems like mine.

Oh, yeah. If you turn your target boxes back on and make them a deep bluish, or greyish color, it makes them very hard to spot in the jungle areas, but you can pick them up. I use this since the game doesn't have smoke rockets, and I haven't found a way to make ground units emit smoke themselves.

YGBSM is YAP mission where you're flying the F-100 F Wild Weasel. As soon as the loading screen says 100% my system crashes. Other missions heading for the same target area (Phu Tho) work fine, so I guess it has nothing to do with the modded terrain.

Sounds to me your missing something that mission file is looking for.

As for all the frame rate hit questions.......try this in your Flightengine.ini

[GraphicsSettings]

ZBufferDepth=24

MaxVertexCount=16384

MaxIndexCount=32768

MaxTextureCount=8192

MaxModelType=2048

MaxMeshPerScene=4096

MaxModelPerScene=4096

MaxLightPerScene=512

AspectRatio=1.333333

MinPixelSize=1.0

B Oh, I did use one other ancient fix on my low end system (1.4Mhz). I used a paint program I have to reduce the size of Brain32's .bmp's from 512 to 256. Hated to do it, but I had to, because of my system.

how does it look like, I am on 1.6 at the moment and was thinking about this solution

Thanks for this great work.

But trying to do that :

Open your flightengine.ini,

and under

[HighDetailOption]

find a line:

DetailMeshSize=6

try changing to higher values (like 8 or 10, even 12 if you have decent rig)

Lexx_Luthor told me about it, credit goes to him

It basically increases the range of objects, values are in kilometers?

Here's what I've got :

vbmktree_pb.jpg

phu8tree_pb_ii.jpg

It appears when I increase DetailMeshSize above 6.

I precise I've got a X1950 pro 512, 2 Go of RAM and a WoV alone installation.

Tanks for your help.

how does it look like, I am on 1.6 at the moment and was thinking about this solution

I like it. I don't notice that much lack of detail by changing the bitmaps to 256. I've been playing with CA_Stary's solution in the VietnamSEA_data.ini by changing the AlphaObjectVertexCount= and the AlphaObjectIndexCount= to see what values give me the best compromise between frame rates and amount of detail. For us low end users, it's going to be the best trade we can get between frame rate and amount of detail. If I set the values very low at:

AlphaObjectVertexCount=512

AlphaObjectIndexCount=1024

I get smooth as glass frame rates, but large open (green) areas in the jungle areas. It doesn't seem to affect the woodlots, just the large jungle areas. If I set them at:

AlphaObjectVertexCount=1024

AlphaObjectIndexCount=2048

I get slightly choppy frame rates over the jungle, but more dense jungle.

On a side note, one reason I love this mod is because it makes ground targets harder to target if you've changed the color of your target boxes. I flew so low on my last CAS mission in an A-4E that the little buggers (infantry mod) shot me down by hitting me with two RPG's!

Heck

PS: After testing on my system:

1.4Mhz, 2Gig ram, 96meg shared video chip, 3058meg virtual memory

Here's my best compromise solution:

AlphaObjectVertexCount=1536

AlphaObjectIndexCount=1536

All bitmaps 256

Cockpit Reflections off

Shadows off

Mirrors on

Horizon distance normal

All other graphic settings high

Edited by Heck

Thanks for this great work.

But trying to do that :

Here's what I've got :

It appears when I increase DetailMeshSize above 6.

I precise I've got a X1950 pro 512, 2 Go of RAM and a WoV alone installation.

Tanks for your help.

I'm having with same error with DetailMeshSize=8

It's something with clipping distance in flightengine.ini but I don't remember what

Lexx_Luthor told he set it to 10

Lexx where are you when we need you?

Same problem here. Played arounfd with the cipping distance to no avail. Also, any advice on reducing the shimmering effect. I have Nvidea 8800 GTX and antialaising is not doing it for me. Thanks for any advice.

Sorry guys, I am/we are not allowed to redistribute the modded VIETNAMSEA_data.ini for YAP (that's what I expected), so if you want more trees in it, you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Same problem here. Played arounfd with the cipping distance to no avail. Also, any advice on reducing the shimmering effect. I have Nvidea 8800 GTX and antialaising is not doing it for me. Thanks for any advice.

Welcome aboard, norman

As you have fast modern card, I'd suggest to maximize your anisotropic filtering, and enabling full trilinear if you have options to do so, this should reguce the texture shimmering

wilco: that's quite funny on their side...

Sorry guys, I am/we are not allowed to redistribute the modded VIETNAMSEA_data.ini for YAP (that's what I expected), so if you want more trees in it, you'll have to figure it out for yourself.

Then make your own data for it. I mean no one has a lock on the letters and numbers in it. Just have to make your own data.ini. Example,

[TargetArea001]

Name=Kuwait City

Position=659000.000000,361000.000000

Radius=7071.067871

ActiveYear=0

Location=2

Alignment=ENEMY

Target[001].Type=HQBuilding1

Target[001].Offset=-2029.00,-1953.00

Target[001].Heading=90

Target[002].Type=CommBuilding1

Target[002].Offset=8592.00,-543.00

Target[002].Heading=270

Target[003].Type=EWR

Target[003].Offset=-16573.00,-137.00

Target[003].Heading=270

Target[004].Type=AAA

Target[004].Offset=-16935.00,-75.00

Target[004].Heading=270

Target[005].Type=AAA

Target[005].Offset=-16715.00,114.00

Target[005].Heading=315

Target[006].Type=AAA

Target[006].Offset=-16682.00,-318.00

Target[006].Heading=270

Target[006].ActiveYear=1964

Target[007].Type=SAMRadar

Target[007].Offset=-14469.00,-5484.00

Target[007].Heading=45

Target[007].ActiveYear=1965

Target[008].Type=SAMLauncher

Target[008].Offset=-14569.00,-5309.00

Target[008].Heading=330

Anyone can come with the same figures as I did, it is not proprietary. So extract the VIETNAMSEA_data.ini and start adding the data yourself. May take time but you will get it to work. That way it's your file and you are not using YAP's payware files.

Hi I am expierencing similar problem with areas of water on land appearing white do we know as yet why this occurrs? See photo below.

Stary did you by the way get my PM?

Lazboy

post-27199-1204484538_thumb.jpg

Lazboy, PM send

Same here with the white water.