Sign in to follow this  
JKstar

Shot down by Abrams MBT

Using a attack helicopter, flying a CAS mission, at about 1000ft with 80 kts, I suddenly see a green shot coming towards me, :blink: too late for any movement...Now I should be careful of the main gun of a tank!

That's surprising...

post-25313-1204525362_thumb.jpg

:shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok: :shok:

Happened to me a few time in Fighters anthology, but I've never been shooted down by a MBT in TK's sims. I will be more cautious.

Guest Bounder

other then the size of the "gun" mistake while flying CAS to low Ive been hit many times , and downed a few times to. Just don't fly between them as they shoot.

You all are going to be in for some very big surprises, when the DS mod finally gets finished.....

Also, sounds like somebody been messing around with their gundata ini...

1) I'd also reccomend having a look into you Abrams data ini...there's something real wrong in there...considering there is NO such weapon in ANY of the weapons paks gundata inis.

2) Western tank guns do NOT use the green tracer tga; again, somebody's playing games...

3) I know for a fact, the M-1 data ini dosen't have Air_and_Ground defined for the main gun. In face, NONE of the AFVs do...again...somebodie's messing with things

Wrench

kevin stein

Is the 3500m is refering to the range of the gun right? I know that the caliber is 120mm.

Using a attack helicopter, flying a CAS mission, at about 1000ft with 80 kts, I suddenly see a green shot coming towards me, :blink: too late for any movement...Now I should be careful of the main gun of a tank!

That's surprising...

I use some modified (ini edited) tank add able to target aircraft, and its work! (not hit me TankGun, but the machine cannon)

And apologise/thinking around why not can I destroy other aircraft with a rocet pod like UB-32 , when i'm in air combat ?

vulkan

No, the after action log tells WHAT weapons were fired at you, which hit you and the result;

ie:

Major Wrench was hit by AA-2 Atoll.

ZSU-23 fired 90 rounds of 23mm ZU-23 cannon at Major Wrench

Old Man with Water Buffalo fired 54 cal musket at Major Wrench

Major Wrench was hit by 54 cal musket

Major Wrench was shot down over Jibip by 54 cal musket. *

or something like that

Wrench

kevin stein

*movie reference - bonus points for IDing.

I use some modified (ini edited) tank add able to target aircraft, and its work! (not hit me TankGun, but the machine cannon)

And apologise/thinking around why not can I destroy other aircraft with a rocet pod like UB-32 , when i'm in air combat ?

vulkan

If I understand correctly, you are wondering if you can destroy enemy aircraft with a air to ground rocket pod.

The answer...yes you can. I've done it. No modifications needed.

FastCargo

*movie reference - bonus points for IDing.

Flight of the Intruder

Edited by arf16

vulkan: have you looked at my 17PF/PF (sp-16) Fresco mods??? You'll find new a-a rocket pods that work. In the downloads section here.

The stock ones are defined as air-to-ground only.

Wrench

kevin stein

Flight of the Intruder

Nope

W

vulkan: have you looked at my 17PF/PF (sp-16) Fresco mods??? You'll find new a-a rocket pods that work. In the downloads section here.

The stock ones are defined as air-to-ground only.

Wrench

kevin stein

No yet but I maybe have this I was blind man...

vulkan

That's surprising...

I read that in Afganistan, and Iraq some helo shoot by RPG, and the C-130 pilots is in fear to RPG, because the SA-7 attack is

parry-able chaffs, flares and (newly laser gun blinded)

vulkan

I read that in Afganistan, and Iraq some helo shoot by RPG, and the C-130 pilots is in fear to RPG, because the SA-7 attack is

vulkan

The RPG (Rocket propelled Grenade) is unguided - so hitting anything moving in the air is a fluke - especially firing it upwards where it would be forced all over the place by gravity and never go straight anyway

vulkan

You're right there! A well aimed RPG or S-5 rocket will do heaps more damage than a SA-7/14/16 that has not been defeated by flares/DIRCM.

Any Enemy that you can see on the battlefield is just another target, when I served in the cold war, we were trained to use our TOWs to shoot down WP Helo's, guess if a Tank can hit a moving tank with its maingun, it can also hit a Hind. But I have to say, I never seen it before in a TW game. It could be colatteral damage, if the tank was shooting at another ground target behind you, and you just happent to be in fire line???????

That's surprising...

Not all that uncommon, in my little reality. hehehehe...

It REALLY upsets the opposing player, when I lay in on them, in their Mi-24 Hind, with a round from my trusty M-1A1 Abrahms, when they try to strafe on me, whilst playing Battlefield 2. I've actually nailed a couple planes the same way. That's REALLY embarrassing. :haha:

I've been hit directly by a KS-90 shell before. And Flak has never hit before that or since.

Any Enemy that you can see on the battlefield is just another target, when I served in the cold war, we were trained to use our TOWs to shoot down WP Helo's, guess if a Tank can hit a moving tank with its maingun, it can also hit a Hind. But I have to say, I never seen it before in a TW game. It could be colatteral damage, if the tank was shooting at another ground target behind you, and you just happent to be in fire line???????

When I was student (airplane mechanic), I was asked a Hind's pilot can shoot down a airplane or helo with Sturm?,

anh he answered YES, but little chance...

Now I think it depends to speed, and manuvering...

vulkan

Well, it all goes back to simple physics.

A slug doesn't care what it hits...period. You get in the way, you get hit.

Usually, the reasons ground to air hits (using non-AAA type equipment) doesn't happen more often is:

1) Slow rate of fire/velocity.

2) Targets aren't usually in the arc of fire.

3) Lack of proper lead against air targets.

RPGs can be very effective against aircraft if they are stationary or very slow. Most Ground to Air kills using an RPG have been against helos...go figure.

FastCargo

Air America ?

Yep.

I've actualy done some experimenting with 'splitting' the weapons types. For a tank main gun, you can leave it a "GROUND". If you've added at coax or cupola-type MG, you might be able to get to engage in self-defense modes against air targets. --this was tested in SF/WoE some time time ago; WoI may handle things differently

Now with the ability to have multible weapons on the same platform (ie: ships with SAMS and guns; AFVs with guns and missiles ie: Bradley).

This is from the M-60A3, which I think is a stock WoE tank...look at these statements...

[DetectSystem]

TargetType=GROUND <---

DataLink=TRUE

OpticalSight=TRUE

NightSight=TRUE

VisualRange=2500.0

ViewportPosition=0.0,0.0,2.59

MaxVisibleDistance=4800.0

RadarCrossSection=10

[WeaponSystem]

TargetType=GROUND general discription for gun(s)

GunRange=2500.0

PitchAngleRate=16

MaxPitch=20.0

MinPitch=-9.0

DefaultPitchAngle=0

YawLimited=FALSE

YawAngleRate=24

DefaultYawAngle=0

ReloadGunAtAngle=FALSE

GunRecoil=100

GunStabilization=TRUE

GunRadarTracking=FALSE

RangeFinder=4

BallisticComputer=2

YawModelNodeName=turret

PitchModelNodeName=GunMantlet

and for the 'gunner' and weapons

[Gunner1]

SystemType=GUNNER

GunnerID=1

TargetType=AIR_AND_GROUND <---interesting!!!

GunRange=1000

PitchAngleRate=12

MaxPitch=45.0

MinPitch=-5.0

DefaultPitchAngle=0

YawLimited=False

YawAngleRate=30

MinYaw=

MaxYaw=

DefaultYawAngle=0

GunMinAltitude=0.0

GunMaxAltitude=900.0

YawModelNodeName=MGTurret

PitchModelNodeName=MGBarrel

VisualSearchTime=10.0

ViewportPosition=-4.6,2.8.0,1.6

IndependentSearchChance=100

LookAroundChance=100

It looks as if the gunner is more pointed towards use the commander cupoloa MG. I haven't tested this much, as I haven't flown many CAS mission for the Red Side; one wonders if this could also be added for other MBTs, by adding the GUNNER station and A-A guns, or what? I know that adding the MGs will cause them engage ground targets...but adding the MG and spliting it targeting ability to both...

What it used to do, by changing GROUND to 'AIR_AND_GROUND', was the vehicle would be shooting at each other until aircraft showed up, then they would stop, and start shooting at YOU!!!

Just more food for thought...

Wrench

kevin stein