Sign in to follow this  
HrntFixr

scary landing attempt

Sorry Jim, I see no ships !

Sorry the first attempt didn't work, try it now!

works! Man, that Airbus was really getting tossed around.

wild ride :)

lucky enough it ended safely..!

Yep. Glad, the second approach was successfull. The left winglet of the Airbus A320 got damaged and was repaired over weekend. The aircraft went today back in service.

Bet someone had to change their underwear :blink: not much air betwen that backboard wingtip and the deck

Bet someone had to change their underwear :blink: not much air betwen that backboard wingtip and the deck

In fact the port wingtip touched the runway, causing the damage to the winglet. :wink:

Scary video... indeed... scary...

Luckily they had a good pilot there.

The plane trys to straighten for the landing when the wind blows the right wing up, causes the left wingtip to hit the ground, and blows the whole plane to the side of the runway, where no doubt the pilots are applying every bit of throttle they can to get her airborne again...WHOOOOWEEEE!!! No THATS exciting!!! Glad I wasnt on that bird...

Yep. Glad, the second approach was successfull. The left winglet of the Airbus A320 got damaged and was repaired over weekend. The aircraft went today back in service.

Looks like one of my USUAL landings as FS9 has wind settings (in my view) way too high. Seriously tho' I think the pilot should have made the decision to go round sooner but I guess we are all wise with hindsight!

More crosswind landing practice in the simulator for that crew. :blink:

Wing down,Top rudder plus differential throttle,gents.

And don't wait for the last second,do it 1/2 mile or more out to get the feel of the wind. :ohmy:

More crosswind landing practice in the simulator for that crew. :blink:

Wing down,Top rudder plus differential throttle,gents.

And don't wait for the last second,do it 1/2 mile or more out to get the feel of the wind. :ohmy:

While that is the correct procedure for most airplanes, watching the video IMO (professional) what they should have done is divert. That was a serious crosswind to be blowing an airplane as big as an airbus around like that! We in the airline industry sometimes give in to the "Gotta get there" attitude caused by pressure from the company (dispatchers/management), and the passengers we fly when the more practical and safer aeronautical decision would be to wait it out. All aircraft have a published "maximum demonstrated crosswind component". This doesn't mean that landing shouldn't be attempted with greater crosswinds, but it does mean that the crew, or pilot (in single pilot situations) needs to evaluate the wisedom of attempting to land in the particular situation.

That kind of approach only should be done on a computer,in the real life,someone can be hurt,or worse.I think the best choice was to abort and try again later.

Woow,scary video...

WetFeet

Someone knows how to work their feet!

Well, lets take what we see with some perspective.

First, we don't know the actual winds or gust factors.

Second, we don't know the experience of the flight crew.

Personal observations:

1. I would NEVER attempt a landing if the winds are beyond the "Max demostrated x-wind limits" specified in the manual. You can't answer the mail if you bend metal doing that..."Trying to accomplish the mission" won't cut it.

2. Crosswinds aren't as big a deal as GUSTY crosswinds. Steady x-winds can be planned for in your flare. But gusty x-winds blow! You could be all set up and the next second, you lose 10 knots of cross...

3. I've know plenty of pilots who can do the 'last minute' transistion to the 'wing-low' method every time, do it safely, and smartly. They're that good and/or that proficient. I'm not, so I tend to transistion about 500-700 feet prior...it's more work, but I tend to be more stable doing it that way.

4. Finally, it's a judgement call, that's why we get paid the big bucks. I've seen plenty of situations where it could go either way and the final call is practically a coin flip. Hell, he could have tried it 30 seconds later and 'greased' it on. Sometimes, it just ain't your day...

FastCargo

Well, lets take what we see with some perspective.

... But gusty x-winds blow! ... Sometimes, it just ain't your day...

FastCargo

ROFLMAO! :yes:

In some german news on tv they report some facts of the ongoing investigation.

The Airbus-crew got reported only minor wind over this runway. A 24 year old woman, the co-pilot on this flight, was steering the aircraft on the approach and at the time of that wind gust, the older captain took over the control. This was maybe planned of both pilots, a spokesman said.

Both pilots are now in vacation. Not as result of that incident, but to allow them to hide from the press, the Lufthansa airline said.

This information is released so far, but no final report.