Sign in to follow this  
squid

my FSX screenshots

Nice pics. I always wondered what the differece was between FS9, with all the landscape add-ons and thirdparty airports (I must have 75% s worth of the payware ones) and FSX and now I know. Not a lot! I've resisted getting FSX until I get a new system. I guess by then the add-on develpopers will have caught up!

i am finding that the FSX is much more graphics wise to the 9. Both vanila. I enjoy it a lot. What i like very much also is the at last updated cameras. Theres traffic on the roads, water is way better, higher resolution ground textures, etc depends always ofcourse to the scenery quality , addon or stock. I have waited to check FSX till my rig upgrade as well which took place in early december. (Q6600 @ 3GHz, 2Gb DDR2 1066, 8800GT 512) and its a nice surprise the smoothness of it with decently high settings :) accelerator and all patches installed.

Edited by squid

I'll have to do a review of an FSX addon for a TV program the company I work for is doing so I was wondering, since I'm a total n00b in terms of MS FS, is it possible to reskin planes as easily as for Thirdwire sims? Wanted to make a custom skin for one of the stock planes...

I'll have to do a review of an FSX addon for a TV program the company I work for is doing so I was wondering, since I'm a total n00b in terms of MS FS, is it possible to reskin planes as easily as for Thirdwire sims? Wanted to make a custom skin for one of the stock planes...

Yeap. i dont remember now if they are still using that special bmp format they used to (DXT?) or they are now common bmp compatible, but either way its pretty straight forward as with TW sims. Actually skining in all sims is the same thing, square bitmap images you repaint as you like based on a template file, its just the file format that is different (lockon for example uses the mipmaping capable DDS)

i dont remember tech details now about the FS skining, will post here if i find anything later

Edited by squid

Yeap. i dont remember now if they are still using that special bmp format they used to (DXT?) or they are now common bmp compatible, but either way its pretty straight forward as with TW sims. Actually skining in all sims is the same thing, square bitmap images you repaint as you like based on a template file, its just the file format that is different (lockon for example uses the mipmaping capable DDS)

i dont remember tech details now about the FS skining, will post here if i find anything later

That would be great, thanx! :good:

i just had a peek at the FSX texture files , they are using DDS. You need to download a set of DDS file format support tools made by nvidia and they are basically photoshop (and paintshop too i think) plugins, i think to get you going. Modman also might be handy with its DDS explorer. Unfortunately i dont know anything more right now, googling about DDS file format tools, nvidia, FSX textures, i am pretty sure will yield the necessary info sooner or later. Sorry dont have now the download links either :( (i think latest modman could be downloaded from lockonfiles.com)

Seems there also is a DDS plugin for GIMP - I only have a limited Photoshop 5 so I think I'm better off with the GIMP for editing, although nothing beats Photoshop, it's just that I don't have the latest version - maybe I should get it from somewhere...

Yes. I dare say it's easier, since you don't need to worry with decals. They are painted directly above the texture (skin).

Here's a first step in this art http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=ma...owto/paint1.htm

I hope I can back to the repaint business soon. And start repaint TW models too.

Guest Sony Tuckson
Yes. I dare say it's easier, since you don't need to worry with decals. They are painted directly above the texture (skin).

Here's a first step in this art http://www.flightsim.com/cgi/kds?$=ma...owto/paint1.htm

I hope I can back to the repaint business soon. And start repaint TW models too.

and who said using decals was compulsary under the thirdwire series?

It's not, really not, as anywhere else, all can be painted on the skin, why couldn't it?

But....decals, although having some drawbacks, offer some nice options, like individual numbers on a common skin, and they stay sharp while the skin might blur due to angles or other 3d effect...