Has anyone else noticed that the Mig 21 (at least) is prone to ground impact in extended dogfights?

I've played the single missions flying the Mirage and F-16 (1 vs 1) and found that with aggressive tactics the the AI Mig is driven down into the ground almost consistently. Seen this at least 4 or 5 times so far, and I don't get to play very often.

Now, I don't mind the unexpected AI behaviour now and then, but if this is repeatable, then there must be a FM issue. I've never seen this happen in WoV, though I only got it a few months ago.

Those with more experience can perhaps be a better judge. Thanks.

Has anyone else noticed that the Mig 21 (at least) is prone to ground impact in extended dogfights?

I've played the single missions flying the Mirage and F-16 (1 vs 1) and found that with aggressive tactics the the AI Mig is driven down into the ground almost consistently. Seen this at least 4 or 5 times so far, and I don't get to play very often.

Now, I don't mind the unexpected AI behaviour now and then, but if this is repeatable, then there must be a FM issue. I've never seen this happen in WoV, though I only got it a few months ago.

Those with more experience can perhaps be a better judge. Thanks.

I second that, but for WOE. Mig-21 and Su-15 (though Flagon isn't a dogfighter) often hit the ground .

I think its pretty realistic if you ask me coz if ur on the other guys tail; ur running him outta altitude.

There are are many times i've been run out of altitude as well and i crash if im the bird cant recover; eg phantom, thud, etc.

And with all those vertical evolutions and hard maneouvres ur bound to hit the deck at some point, especially when uve run out of options and the other guy has a speed advantage and wont let you get out of dodge.

On my 3rd campaign in WoI, and I've not noticed the MiGs grounding themselves.

I have actually found them to be quite challenging, especially with the "almost a waste to hang `em" missiles in this iteration.

No, I have seen some long and arduous battles with my Wingies versus AI, and the MiGs usually spiral upward at full burner. One oddity with the -21's is that on

a few occasions I've seen them plug in the burners and just blast along around 20,000' for 80-100 miles at nothing in particular, wake up, and saunter home.

:dntknw:

Don't get me wrong, I understand that there is a certain realism there with hard maneuvering and ground impacts, and as I mentioned, I like the uncertainty when it shows up, but I've just seen it a little too often in the limited flying I've managed to do.

Spectre, if you're still monitoring this thread, try the Mirage vs. 21 quick mission, but try not to flame the AI in the traditional manner, but take his altitude away to see if you can replicate this. I also have not seen this happen in campaign, but I'm not thru the 6-day War quite yet. AND YES, they are very challenging...

Perhaps it is specific to the quick mission?

Thanks.

Edited by B Bandy RFC

It happens with me when I drag 'em down low, usually below 5000ft. The AI isn't afraid to fight in the vertical in WoI, but the drawback is that they'll try maneuvers that they don't have altitude for. The other drawback is that sometimes overzealous wingmen follow them.