Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

3 hours I will never get back

Yeah,so I was bored with the sims I had and decided to purchase IL-2 sturmovik 1946"the signature series"(insert glorious fanfare here).

"Looks kinda cool."I thought to myself.Little did I know of the frustrations to befall me.

I quickly headed home and pulled and tugged at the apparently gamer-proof clear wrapping(15 minutes)

and popped open the container which only contained 2 discs,one of them containing only videos and promotional gobble-dee-gook.

I then procceeded with baited breath to install said game,which to my surprise seemed to take a long time(45 more minutes)

Then, as any responsible gamer would do,I figured Id better check for game updates,so I made my way to the Ubisoft website as fast as my finger could click. There I was asked to fill out a registration form so I could recieve customer support and download all the stuphs I would need to blast folks outta the sky.(6 E-Z steps,15 more minutes)

Then I procceeded to the downloads/patches section,where I was shown a list of all the variants of said game which I had so foolishly paid for,and upon not seeing the version by name as it appeared on the case i was looking at,I chose the closest facsimile.(15 more minutes)

I downloaded the two patches and installed them and then I started with the dreaded READMEFIRST!!!!!11111 file(30 minutes)

You might think I was about to soar majesticly thru the wild blue yonder,wouldnt ya?

--------------------------------------------WRONG------------------------------------------------

I clicked and I clicked at the neat lookin icon,to no avail,until finally Id had enough and decided for the sake of my mental well being and my computers life expectancy to uninstall the "game".(45 more minutes)

Now,knowing that some programs leave stuff behind after they "uninstall" themselves ,I decided to go check to see if anything was there,and what do I find,but lo and behold! A ubisoft folder with over 2 gigs in it!

Just sitting there like it owned the place!

So,I did a D.O.D grade file deletion and a reboot(15 more minutes)

To make a long story short,UBISOFT SUCKS!

Edited by gwar

Ubiusoft sucks .. you`re right.. but not il2 from 1C Madox. I play now for 6 or 7 years .. started with the first demo of the game. Have everything what was released and now, like you 1946. It`s damn smooth on my machine. you only need 2 patches and tha`ts it .. without registration on ubisoft .. there are some threads over the il2 site where is explained how to install stuff. Hope yu try it once again without ubisoft support

Heh, I was expecting a thread about Michael Bay's Pearl Harbor.

Anyway...screw Ubisoft. If I need a patch I usually look here first:

Link: DLH.net

Your first mistake might have been to try to patch your version. 1C has done multiple "all included" incarnations of IL-2. For me the last and greatest was 1946. With so many boxed versions of the same sim you can't just get the "closest looking patch", chances are you will either break the game, or revert it to an earlier version. I also fire up the game after each install and between each patch to make sure I didn't just break it with a corrupt initial install or update. In short, I've started with Pacific fighters and have brought the series up to the most recent 1946 patch and have had no problems. Don't give up, try it again with a bit more patience. IL-2 has it's problems (personal taste issues really) but it's a fine WW2 sim.

If you have Il-2-46, which is I believe ver 4.06m, you only need the 4.08m patch which I think is all-inclusive and lets you skip 4.07m. However, to be safe you could install that one too.

There's no CP for Il-2-46 at 4.08, either.

Thank you your responses,gentlemen,and sorry I havent got back to this sooner as I had a four day run in with the flu.

Also,I seemed to be having trouble with hyperlobby detecting IL-2,am I wrong or do I remember seeing somewhere that you had to change the install folder name for Hyperlobby to detect the game .exe?

Once again,thanks for helping out !

Ok,I feel like such a n00b now,I reinstalled IL-2,and this time I actually payed attention enough to see what version it was (4.07). I have patched it up to V.4.08 and guess what,,,IT WORKS!

You can all laugh at me now,I deserve it,, :haha:

Now,who wants to be the first to blow me outta the sky?,,,heehee

Download the Hypperlobby it`s great to connect to other server and play MP. But i think you need the old il2.exe ... not sure.

I got in a few missions last night,gameplay is fine,only thing is,when mission is over and I exit ,it restarts my comp,,any ideas? :dntknw:

Download the Hypperlobby it`s great to connect to other server and play MP. But i think you need the old il2.exe ... not sure.

With 1946 you won't be able to connect to IL-2 games since that's the old game. You'll want to look up Forgotten Battles, that's what 1946 connects to. I think most servers are runing 4.08 this days.

As for hyperlobby not detecting the game I think that usually happens when you install the game after hyperlobby. You need to hit the disconnect button on hypper-lobby. Then press Ctrl(I think it is CTRL, but im not sure it's been a while) and click connect should bring up a dialog box where you can search or manualy insert the game path.

Don't Forget the game is "Forgotten battles" not "IL-2".

As for the crashing I've had the game crash before but only during play, and I always dismissed it as hardware issue, maybe not. Don't think I've ever had it crash on exit like that. hard to tell.

Good luck.