Sign in to follow this  
ordway

MD-450 Ouragan probably had lead computing gunsight

I just read that putting an A-4B gunsight (which in standard form is *not* a lead computing air-air gunsight) on the MD-450 Ouragan is probably not historically correct and is artificially handicapping the fighter:

From Wiki French:

"Il est armé de quatre canons de 20 mm avec conduite de tir par collimateur gyroscopique, dans la lignée des réalisations anglaises de la Seconde guerre mondiale." WIKI

http://fr.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dassault_Ouragan

My translation on it is (one of my majors was French, but it does not mean that I am necessisarily correct of course): "It was armed with four 20 mm cannons which were directed by a gyroscopic computing sight in the line of the English world war two models." My Larousse dictionary states that the word collimateur is a word for an object that is a "sight".

At the very least you have the words "guns directed by a gyroscope" to contend with.

Also of course, the Israelis were notorious for upgrading equipment and techniques. Imagine that they were flying P-51Ds and advanced Spitfires with gyroscopic computing gunsights...and suddenly they were stuck with an aircraft (Ouragan) that "did not have a lead-computing gunsight"...guess what they would do in an eye blink?

So to give the Ouragan a lead computing gunsight, you would just open up your

MD-450 Ouragan cockpit.ini and replace these lines:

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=100

GunsightName=A-4b_sight.tga

MaxDepression=250

DefaultDepression=50

with the following lines:

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=50

GunsightName=F-100d_sight.tga

LeadComputing=TRUE

MinLeadRange=182.88

MaxLeadRange=1828.8

DefaultLeadRange=300

MaxDepression=250

DefaultDepression=50

What is "true for the goose is also probably true for the gander"...and so the Mystere IV would also need to be upgraded to a lead computing gunsight.

Sounds like they use a variant of the Mark 3 "Ace Maker". There's a nice Mk.III aiming reticle in my IDF Spit 9. Feel free to make use of it, if you wish.

This is what I used for the WW2 gunsight mods, in this case the Spit 9:

[GunsightFront]

HasGunsight=TRUE

GunsightMilSize=60

GunsightName=RAFMkIII_GUNSIGHT.tga

LeadComputing=TRUE

MinLeadRange=100

MaxLeadRange=500

DefaultLeadRange=250

MaxDepression=0

DefaultDepression=0

There's also a very nice K-14 mod, with a A-A and A-G sights, in one of my Mustangs...it should be here, but I don't renember which one!!! (I know for sure it's in the "WW2 Sabre")

Wrench

kevin stein

Sounds like they use a variant of the Mark 3 "Ace Maker". There's a nice Mk.III aiming reticle in my IDF Spit 9. Feel free to make use of it, if you wish.

This is what I used for the WW2 gunsight mods, in this case the Spit 9:

There's also a very nice K-14 mod, with a A-A and A-G sights, in one of my Mustangs...it should be here, but I don't renember which one!!! (I know for sure it's in the "WW2 Sabre")

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks Fougamagister for the feedback that the Dassault Ouragan had the lead computing gunsight.

Thanks Wrench for the info on the aiming reticle...thats where I'm headed now!