Sign in to follow this  
Wrench

Modern Range and Red Range Upgrade

Modern Range and Red Range Upgrade

View File

Modern Range and Red Range Targets Upgrade

This little package will update the Modern Range and Red Range with the addition of more target areas, a new movement ini for practice Armed Recon missions, and general tweeks to some of the destroyed effects. Somehow, it seems to have either gotten lost, or somebody never did upload it...... :sorry:

Included is the Factory Place, Truck Depot, and the Rail Yard. The 'ship target', as seen in my WW2 upgrades, has been switched over to use the stock 'Cargo Ship'.

Remember -- as there is no ocean on this map, there are NO anti-shipping missions. Also remember, since there are 2 Ranges (one for each side), you =CANNOT= fly a Western/US/NATO aircraft on the Red Range. Just as you =CANNOT= fly a Soviet/WarPac or other 'enemy' classed aircraft on the Range. The game engine WILL crash out with a 'singlemission.dll' fault. So, make sure you have BOTH terrains installed.

This mod works in SF, WoV, WoE. It -should- work in WoI with the correct terrain cat pointer; this has NOT been tested, and is at present NOT supported.

Please see the enclosed readme for relatively simple install instructions.

Happy Practicing!!!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Thanks! :good:

Wrench I had this entry in my target data for the range, should be no problem adding this area to your range data right?

Also one question, how comes that, in the original range in the least, each single mission had a different number of sam launnchers at the sam site (the one included in the bombing area), at the same level of airdefense setting? aT times one at times the full battery, at times none...never observed that on any other terrain

I added for experiment another sam battery, and it always appears in its entirety

Guest ansons2
File Name: Modern Range and Red Range Upgrade

File Submitter: Wrench

File Submitted: 5 Mar 2008

File Category: Terrains

File Version: 2.5

Modern Range and Red Range Targets Upgrade

This little package will update the Modern Range and Red Range with the addition of more target areas, a new movement ini for practice Armed Recon missions, and general tweeks to some of the destroyed effects. Somehow, it seems to have either gotten lost, or somebody never did upload it...... :sorry:

Included is the Factory Place, Truck Depot, and the Rail Yard. The 'ship target', as seen in my WW2 upgrades, has been switched over to use the stock 'Cargo Ship'.

Remember -- as there is no ocean on this map, there are NO anti-shipping missions. Also remember, since there are 2 Ranges (one for each side), you =CANNOT= fly a Western/US/NATO aircraft on the Red Range. Just as you =CANNOT= fly a Soviet/WarPac or other 'enemy' classed aircraft on the Range. The game engine WILL crash out with a 'singlemission.dll' fault. So, make sure you have BOTH terrains installed.

This mod works in SF, WoV, WoE. It -should- work in WoI with the correct terrain cat pointer; this has NOT been tested, and is at present NOT supported.

Please see the enclosed readme for relatively simple install instructions.

Happy Practicing!!!

Wrench

Kevin Stein

Click here to download this file

Thanks Kevin for your dedication to my favorite sim ! Any chance that you upgrade/finish the Kosovo Map too? I am currently creating missions based on the "War in The Balkans" Osprey's book and find out that some tile's textures near the kosovo coast do not fit well with the map heights. However it is a nice terrains with a lot of hills .

Stephane

Simply stated, paraphrasing Dave (USAFMTL) hisself "The Kosovo map is junk" :rolleyes:

To do it right, require a lot more skill than I possess. It need to be rebuilt completely from stracth. There are ways of fixing the coastline problems (as also seen in the SoCal map), but I don't know how to do them. I can do targets, movements, etc all day long. But I can't fix the terrain itself. Sorry.

As to Canadair ? about the sams...I've noticed that blow themselves up sometimes!! Don't know why!!! What we need, and I'll have a go at this in the near future, is a 'fake' SAM....just a target that don't shoot at you. Adding an empty launcher is quite easy...you just make it a 'terrain feature', no different than a parked ship or destroyed building.

Wrench

kevin stein

Well sir, as per the modern_range_update.txt, I figgered I'd iterate some findings.

First of all, I do like the newly added areas to the West, very cool depot, railway station, et. al.

But, and you knew there had to be at least one, I have a couple of issues.

1> The runway is coated with treacle, or some super sticky and viscous gel. I need full AB to even get rolling! Tried the F-16XL 1st, and thought there maybe

an issue with it, but the same occurred in the F-15E & the F-111F. Odd.

gallery_310_81_6951.jpg

2> Some of the trucks, they look to be troop carriers, are without skins. Naked, as it were.

gallery_310_81_9725.jpg

I tried to target them to see what they are, but can only target one item until it is destroyed, which leads me to;

3> Why is it that you cannot scroll through ground targets on the range? It has always been like this. It will pick you out the nearest, and you cannot "T" switch

until it is gone. I would love to be able to SHIFT+T through them like in any other map. There must be a setting somewhere that negates it at the range.

I would edit the INI if I knew what setting caused this.

Opps....looks like I missed a couple...(btw, these were not changed from the original upload, from some year ago)

Open the types ini, and scroll dwon to item #69, the Soviet Truck

Change this line

UseGroundObject=FALSE

to this one:

UseGroundObject=TRUE

You also want to do that for Items 70, 71; the BRDM and Soviet Command Vehicle.

A quick check of the Red Range types ini shows this has been fixed.

Wonder why I did't catch that....????? :dntknw: Blame it on the flu..

edit: forgot to answer the others

As to the runway problem, I've never experienced it. I usually test the US stuff with a Phantom or Scooter. The Red was tested with a Famer and Fishbed, don't know what to say there. All that was done was add targets at the Bombing range. I didn't even add the US or Russian flags at the 2 bases. Might be a plane problem??

As to the target scrolling, I think it's been like that since Day 1. Honestly, I never noticed it!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Done.

Cool, I would not even have thought to look there.

Can we get a FOD truck on the runway?

:biggrin:

___EDIT___

You were editting as I was posting.

As to the runway, I dunno either, as I tried 3 different jets, all the same. If I'd used a non-AB jet like the A-7 or summat, I'd have been stuck.

And yeah, the range has had the Target non-switching issue since day 1, and it always vexed me. Just figured I'd throw it out there for someone less clueless than I...

Edited by Spectre_USA

A truck parked near the ends??? That's easy...open the targets ini, at Home Base, find the "EOR shack" (i think that's the one) and replace with "USTruck". Might want to angle it a little, unless you want it parked parralell (or at right angles - disremember it's actual heading) to the runway.

Looking at the XL picture again; noticed the nose gear sunk in the runway. I've seen this a lot of late....in the ASW, SoCal and now i'm seeing it at Krag Island (in another part of the world - not the one everyone wants; same region though)

It usually means the airfield isn't flattened (or flattened enough). I didn't do anything to the fields; might just be with those aircraft. Very oddd though...

Low tire pressure??? :wink:

Wrench

kevin stein

Ah, you took me literally!

The FOD truck I emntioned was to suck the treacle off the concrete.

Sorry, a little Ex-AF linesman humor... :blink:

I think the airbase problem is due to the airbase being the first entry in the targets.ini... known bug. :wink:

<smaks self in head!!!> DOH!!! I'd forgotten completely about that... don't forget, this was built in like 2004 for SF, and that problem had never cropped up yet!! I ALWAYS try to catch and fix that...oh, dopey me!! Well this was a quick fix only...

ok super easy to fix....this can be used for both Range and Red Range targets inis...

Open the Range_targets ini, scroll down PAST Home Base, to TargetArea002, which is CheckPoint 1

Highlight and CUT the text out. Scroll back to the top, and PASTE it in ABOVE Home Base. Then just re-number the target areas...

It should look like this ....

[TargetArea001]

Name=Checkpoint 1

Position=435000.000000,623000.000000

Alignment=Friendly

Radius=500.000

ActiveYear=0

Location=2

Alignment=Friendly

Target[001].Type=Watertower1

Target[001].Offset=-0,0

Target[001].Heading=0

Target[002].Type=Warehouse1

Target[002].Offset=90,0

Target[002].Heading=0

[TargetArea002]

Name=Home Base

Position=442000.000000,614000.000000

Radius=6000

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

AirfieldDataFile=desert_airfield6.ini

NumSquadrons=2

Target[001].Type=Runway6

Target[001].Offset=0,0

Target[001].Heading=270

This way, you only have to renumber 2 areas; that should do it!!

Thanks to jtin for pointing that out...I should've known!!! This is/was the fix I used for ANW upgrades as well. :ok: Oddly enough, the Red Range ALREADY has this fix!!!

Wrench

kevin stein

Oo, cool.

I had never seen it before, so was unfamiliar with the issue.

Will try it out tonight, after work, unless I pass out from lack of sleep the last 3 nights, hoo-boy!

Now if I could just figure out that that danged target situation. >Mumble, mumble, ah, mumble...< :shok: