Sign in to follow this  
iam73

WoE "modern" Custom Campaign w/carriers?

First of all Hi Guys! Totally new here, first post.

Trying to get in to TW sims, been doing lot and I mean LOT of reading and I feel a little bit confused lost in all this SF/WoE/WoV/WoI world.

Merged installs, WoV, WoE, mods, addons... wow, is there a lot of stuff involved or what (not that it's a bad thing, but I find it hard to digest :blush: )

Anyways, I have bought WoE and WoV and installed WoE only for the moment.

It's great! A few years back I was mostly trying to fly Janes F-18 and F4 but had to stop as it demanded too much time. WoE seemed a little easier/less hardcore and my first impression was really a good one!

I know there aren't any carriers in WoE but read there was in WoV. I also saw and downloaded some pretty nice F-18/F-14 models on Column5's website. Now, I'd love to fly those planes from a carrier, even better, play a campaign involving carrier takeoffs/traps.

So, are there any custom campaigns with that? And are there any "modern" carrier model anywhere?

Also, how are the carrier ops in WoV, is it pretty basic? It's probably not as deep as in Janes but I have a thing for those ships and their planes :yes:

Anyways, thanks for helping and looking forward to bug you all with more questions later!

Damn, I should quit stalling on this carrier ops article I intend to write. :blush:

Yes, there are a few modern carrier models in the d/l section (look under add-on ships) and a few campaigns that make use of them.

Carrier ops in the TW sims is in my opinion rather basic, you can take off from a carrier and may land on it...but only in campaign mode or in a single mission made with the mission editor. Instant action or single missions, created with the ingame mission generator, will not feature carriers.

Edited by Gocad

IMO keep your games separate if you can + if you install a campaign you should be putting it into a separate/new install again.

(see the knowledge base)

theres user made campaigns/ missions here

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...&showcat=29

Theres Vietnam 1984 for WOV which may be of interest http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5289

but there are others.

Thanks all for you replies!

IMO keep your games separate if you can + if you install a campaign you should be putting it into a separate/new install again.

(see the knowledge base)

Coolhand, I've searched the Knowledge base sections but didn't find anything about that, the "Adding Campaign" section is empty as well.

Could you elaborate on this, are you meaning that for every custom campaign, I copy make a fresh 900+ mb install?

Thanks for the help.

Coolhand, I've searched the Knowledge base sections but didn't find anything about that, the "Adding Campaign" section is empty as well.

Could you elaborate on this, are you meaning that for every custom campaign, I copy make a fresh 900+ mb install?

Thanks for the help.

I haven't had a problem with adding carriers to the existing campaigns. I see no reason to make a separate install. Works ok, but you do have to follow all the steps carefully.

Thanks for the help.

Yes - If you put a campaign in, it will replace or add a lot of files. Put another campaign on top of that and again will replace/add files and screw up the first campaign (and other things).

Assuming you only have 1 install:

1. make a copy (dont cut/move it) of your entire current game folder (ie a backup of the entire game)

2. then uninstall your game from add/remove progs

3. Install the game again

4. Put the patches on

5. Make a copy of the entire game folder for the new campaign

6. Dont touch the original install again (use it to make new copies)

You should now have 3 installs

example

c:\.....\Wings Over Vietnam

c:\.....\Wings Over Vietnam_Campaign

c:\.....\Wings Over Vietnam_Backup

You can still play your original game that you backed up - by running it from the exe file in its folder

hope that makes sense - it looks difficult - although if you dont try it you wont learn much

Another reason to use a copy of the game is that if you screw it up you can just make a new copy ond remove the old one without having to install everything from disk each time!.

Well im sure there will be something there soon - problem is - how you intall one is dependent on the campaign!

Adding a campaign - well the readme should tell you what to do. Be careful - I saw a campaign last week (original Burning Sands 1983) that had a load of files (dlls) from the version of the game when the mod was created - so copying them over to a game patched to SP4 would mean the game crashed. Basically you needed certain parts of the original - and then all of the parts from the BS1983 update for SP4 (nightmare!)

Yes - If you put a campaign in, it will replace or add a lot of files. Put another campaign on top of that and again will replace/add files and screw up the first campaign (and other things).

Assuming you only have 1 install:

1. make a copy (dont cut/move it) of your entire current game folder (ie a backup of the entire game)

2. then uninstall your game from add/remove progs

3. Install the game again

4. Put the patches on

5. Make a copy of the entire game folder for the new campaign

6. Dont touch the original install again (use it to make new copies)

You should now have 3 installs

example

c:\.....\Wings Over Vietnam

c:\.....\Wings Over Vietnam_Campaign

c:\.....\Wings Over Vietnam_Backup

You can still play your original game that you backed up - by running it from the exe file in its folder

hope that makes sense - it looks difficult - although if you dont try it you wont learn much

Another reason to use a copy of the game is that if you screw it up you can just make a new copy ond remove the old one without having to install everything from disk each time!.

Well im sure there will be something there soon - problem is - how you intall one is dependent on the campaign!

Adding a campaign - well the readme should tell you what to do. Be careful - I saw a campaign last week (original Burning Sands 1983) that had a load of files (dlls) from the version of the game when the mod was created - so copying them over to a game patched to SP4 would mean the game crashed. Basically you needed certain parts of the original - and then all of the parts from the BS1983 update for SP4 (nightmare!)

As a technique, I add the terrain mods, the most current weapons kit, and weather mods to the backup, and basic install since you will always add those anyway. One less thing to do when you are fitting out a new install for a new campaign.