Sign in to follow this  
Tailspin

37mm guns are up.

See the file announcements. Sorry folks, but at this time all you get are the guns (well, there's a new tracer and gun sound too). You're gonna have to place them yourselves. Of course if you already have one of my AAA MG mods installed its just a matter of installing the guns and replacing one of the MGs with one of the 37mm in the targets.ini.

Post a screenie, plz :biggrin: I'm a bit too lazy to fiddle with ini's at the moment :blush:

37sky.jpg

This is from the Verdun terrain. Over an airfield near some balloons. The red-ish tracers didn't make it into the final version.

Regarding doing the .ini work. I am always undecided about including an entire targets.ini with these mods because, 1. It overwrites everything. 2. Due to my limited HDD space I all I have is my "working/modding" copy and its got all kinds of stuff in it. I'd have to re-do all the .ini work I've already done...for each mod, ie. Bridges, Airfield AA MG, 37mm. etc. 3. Since the Verdun terrain is smaller with fewer target areas its the only terrain Targets.ini ready for release. 4. I NEVER get any feedback, good or bad, about installing these mods. Do most people want a completed targets.ini or do they prefer to do it themselves?

I suppose I could make an all inclusive Mega-Air Defense Targets.ini incorporating everything......................

I NEVER get any feedback, good or bad, about installing these mods. Do most people want a completed targets.ini or do they prefer to do it themselves?

I suppose I could make an all inclusive Mega-Air Defense Targets.ini incorporating everything......................

You wanted feedback so here it is. You won't like it though!! :biggrin:

Just kidding Taily it's all good. I installed the 1pdr Vickers Maxim, 37mm Sockelflak and 37mm Hotchkiss Revolving Cannon plus your AAMG sandbags. I put the gunners in my Test Objects mission folder and they showed up no problem. Really nice. I haven't tested in a mission yet so I don't know quite how they work but see no reason why they shouldn't as I followed your detailed instructions to the letter!

The sandbags are a real show stopper except (well there's always got to be an EXCEPT hasn't there) it's such a performance placing them! I felt confident to do this as I had previous WRENCHANATOR tuition but I could quite understand someone less, shall we say schooled, having mis-givings about attempting the process as it'so easy to do a 'Brainless' like missing a line of script or like I did the first time placing the files in the wrong terrain folder and then wondering why they hadn't shown up!

I find that if you have a ground object to mess with it's easier to place this where you want it on the mission map and then if you want to add something to that object just clone it and then copy the same co-ordinates in the mission builder facility to match the object you're attaching it to. It' quicker and easier to see the object you're placing as soon as you go back into the sim to find it. Placing objects in the terrain Targets/ Types is much harder to find, to see if you've done it right, if you see what I mean.

I've used this method time and again transfering objects from YAP to other terrains like artillery and sanbags, walls and personnel etc.

I tried putting the sandbacks in the Groundobjects folder but they don't show up. I know there is a way of doing this but I can't remeber how to do it. Do you know how to make your sandbags show up as a GROUNDOBJECT.

Of course if you've got the time to place them in the terrain folder and edit all the placements well what you said is fine and right but it took me ages sorting tho' Edwards marvellous Flanders terrain (which has airfields/towns etc. not in an exact alphabetical order) to find the airfield I was using in my test mission folder to place the sandbags and check if they displayed.

I don't know if any of my comments make any sense to you but this is definitely FEEDBACK even if only 'Brainless' feedback! :biggrin:

First, thanks for the feedback. Truth is I never learned how to use the Mission Editor and place all my objects by hand. When I did the Sandbags I took the "easy" way out :blink: and didn't make them a separate ground object. They were kind of an "add-on" to the AA MGs and they worked fine for me installing them that way. If you want to make them GO's you can create a folder for them, add the .ini and make a data.ini for them. You'll also have to change the line in the TYPES.ini to UseGroundObject=TRUE.

If you want to make them GO's you can create a folder for them, add the .ini and make a data.ini for them. You'll also have to change the line in the TYPES.ini to UseGroundObject=TRUE.

Ah yes that's it. Now I remember..probably get a clipped ear from Wrench for not paying more attention to his readme..well it is Brainless posting!

I found some more objects via your tip to Geo's site. Really nice artillery and some 'upright' ground troops. Not quite 'lineabreast' formation but nearly. Could do with some BIG artillery pieces but maybe someone will get to do some one day!

Thanks a lot for your objects. They're really good, installed and in use and I think that's the best way to show a modder you love his work and give one's appreciation for what he's produced.

All the best.

Edited by Brainless

First, thanks for the feedback. Truth is I never learned how to use the Mission Editor and place all my objects by hand. When I did the Sandbags I took the "easy" way out :blink: and didn't make them a separate ground object. They were kind of an "add-on" to the AA MGs and they worked fine for me installing them that way. If you want to make them GO's you can create a folder for them, add the .ini and make a data.ini for them. You'll also have to change the line in the TYPES.ini to UseGroundObject=TRUE.

Hmm..thought I could do this GROUNDOBJECT file creation but I must have got it wrong because having created the file the sandbags don't show up. I've changed the TARGET TYPES ini. from FALSE to TRUE and created the data. and ini.s but messed about with edits without sucess. This is where I'm at at the moment. Any help would be appreciated.

I have your three files and plus this below in the MGAA pit folder in GROUNDOBJECTS.

DATA_ini. file

[MissionData]

NationName=USAS

ServiceStartDater=04/1913

ServiceEndDate=11/1919

GroundObjectRole=Misc

Availability=COMMON

Exported=TRUE

ExportStartYear=04/1913

ExportAvailability=COMMON

[GroundObjectData]

DamagedModel=

DestroyedModel=Sandbags.LOD

DestroyedEffect=HMGObjectHitEffect

EmptyMass=100.0

Component[001]=

[sound]

[DetectSystem]

[WeaponSystem]

[MovementSystem]

[Gun]

[GunBarrel]

INI. file

[GroundObjectData]

ObjectFullName=SandBags

ObjectDataFile=SandBags.LOD

[LOD001]

FileName=SandBags.LOD

Distance=8000

I've sorted this now!! Had the _data.ini. line missing and renamed file to 'Sandbags.

Thanks again

Edited by Brainless

Here's some pics especially for Tailspin. His sandbags and what I was saying about an 'over the top' type offensive simulation. Enjoy all you WWI fans.

Tailspin's sandbags placed as a GROUNDOBJECT as I described here. Took about ten minutes to place as opposed to 30 mins in the TYPE TARGETS method

Enlarge shots to fully see what I'm getting at!

post-18933-1204840039_thumb.jpg

All quiet on the Western Front!

post-18933-1204840051_thumb.jpg

Waiting time

post-18933-1204840066_thumb.jpg

Open Fire lads

post-18933-1204840080_thumb.jpg

The Allied advance

post-18933-1204840092_thumb.jpg

Air shot of Allied Advance

post-18933-1204840109_thumb.jpg

Hope you like 'em. :biggrin:

Looks good Brainless. :good:

Glad you liked 'em :biggrin:

With all due credit to Geo's site where I got the troops etc. and of course you too Tailspin without these mods none of this would have been possible!

What I didn't say yesterday and should be acknowledged is that my method of object placement is only really good for single mission creation and you are right Taily when you say that the TERRAIN OBJECT placement described in your readme would be more appropriate to have the sandbags showing by default as it were. In fact I may well do this when I get time to do the TERRAIN OBJECT placements at the airports etc.to show the sandbags all the time. :good:

Thanks.