Sign in to follow this  
Major Lee

It's Alive, sort of...

Well, got the new machine assembled last night. Everything went well, until I went to load Windows XP... The error message stated "no hard drive found" :no: .... Further checking reveals HD not being detected... Tried new cable, different SATA port, etc... Looks like the Barracuda was DOA. I will load up with an old IDE drive to test things... Oh well, Newegg will send me another... Everything else seemed to be working correctly. :good:

Holding my fingers crossed Ken

SATA is different than IDE you can`t boot on SATA HDD when you have no Bootdisk A: or you have a Win XP with integrated SP2 so you can boot them and install win properly. had the same probs with my rig

SATA is different than IDE you can`t boot on SATA HDD when you have no Bootdisk A: or you have a Win XP with integrated SP2 so you can boot them and install win properly. had the same probs with my rig

I know, my mobo has both SATA ports and IDE... Computer boots from DVD drive and loads some drivers into memory, and analyzes the system. Then, where Win XP would actually load, it fails at the actual installation because it sees no HD... Is there some other step I need to take here?

Gigabyte P35-S3G

I just want to test the machine until the replacement HD arrives....

have the same Mobo did you activated the SATA ports in BIOS? or create on a running machine a bootdisk and put it into your diskdrive a: this one should work. but you have to activate the SAT stuff in your bios <--- important

My Rig

Gigabyte P35

1 TB HDD SATA2

4 GB RAM

8800GT

Was workin my self on getin those damn SATA HDD`s workin.

Seagate website doesn't indicate that additional drivers are required... I am planning on calling Seagate tech tonight... Last OS install I did just booted from the Windows CD and installation went without a hitch...

SATA is something like SCSI controlled HDD`s just try it... you need the disk to install win, cause normal winversions without sp2 doesn`t have the needed drivers...

That's what I am doing, using a new XP-PS2 disc to install windows. It starts the initial installation process but doesn't see a HD... Might there be seperate drivers from gigabyte?

Edited by Major Lee

interesting. I added a SATA drive which the system saw, but couldn't access. Had to initialize it.

good luck!

Initialize it? How did you do that?... Anyway, not sure why this would even be an issue, this mobo only came out in November of 2007... Not like any of this stuff is unknown technology here...

Edited by Major Lee

Did you activate SATA in BIOS setup?

Yes, changed it from IDE to SATA... Also set it to boot from DVD drive to install XP. One odd thing; one screen showed some kind of boot options, but only two choices (can't remember exact wording here) but it did list the exact model number of the drive, but the POST screen doesn't show it, Seagate disc tools won't run because it doesn't see a HD... I'll have to check this part exactly tonight... Probably some obscure BIOS line value not set just so somewhere... (or, as my old buddy Reese used to say: "Some BS checkbox somewhere ain't checked...")

Edited by Major Lee

There is an entry in BIOS

Integrated Peripherals:

Onboard Sata/IDE Ctrl Mode ----> change this to IDE

IDE? ok, worth a try. Will give it a shot tonight... But why IDE instead of SATA when it is a SATA drive on integrated SATA port? But anyway, it doesn't work with it set as SATA...

I hope it works for me too! Thank you very much for the tip. I will give it a try tonight. Can't wait to fly on my new machine... EVGA 8800GT.G92.512mb, E6850 3.0ghz, 2GB Kingston 1066DDR2 ram, Soundblaster X-fi extreme gamer sound card... Thanks for all the replies! :yes:

Edited by Major Lee

Blackbird; you are the MAN!!! :ok: I "disabled" SATA mode and XP kicked right in... HD is formatting now as I type this... THANK YOU! I can't wait to run SF on "Thunderbolt", my new machine... :clapping:

Well, WOI on a 22" monitor @ 1680 x 1050 and unlimited settings looks absolutely stunning... :good: Need to tune clock and fan speeds... This is a blast! Newegg is a great PC parts supplier!

Edited by Major Lee

Well, WOI on a 22" monitor @ 1680 x 1050 and unlimited settings looks absolutely stunning... :good: Need to tune clock and fan speeds... This is a blast! Newegg is a great PC parts supplier!

I envious. I wonder what the Better Half would say if my computer "torched" and I told her I needed to go a new one........

:wink:

Well, crap... After Alt-N, the first radio comm will result in a BSOD crash... Looks like the Soundblaster driver is not happy working with the EVGA 8800 driver.... Need to disable my sound card to test this... Got the latest nvidia drivers. Need to try the onboard sound and/or the new beta soundblaster drivers... oh what fun... Still, it looks and sounds great, at least until it dumps...

That is what I fly WOI on too.