Sign in to follow this  
navychief

NAS Cecil Field, FL "Gate Guard"

Anyone who visited NAS Cecil Field, Fl when it was still operational will remember seeing the familiar site of the A-7 Corsair that was the base "gate guard", perched on a pedestal by the front gate.

When the base closed, I always wondered what happened to that aircraft, and I only just recently found out.

It has a new home at the Don Garlits Racing Museum, located in Ocala, FL.

I emailed Don and asked if he had some better photos of the aircraft besides the one on his website, and here is what he sent back.

This particular aircraft used to be at Pax River, MD. I was a Plane Captain on it during the early 70s.

Navychief

NO SH*T!!! I have seen that A-7 when I take I-75 to go back to Melbourne. And oddly enough I wanted to take a pic of it and post it here (if I had a digital camera)... It probably wouldnt look that good from the road; driving by at 95mph :lol:

NICE!

There was also a few static displays on the eastern most entrance as well. Are those still there Chief?

Most of the other static display aircraft were moved to NAS Jacksonville.

Here are pictures of some of the aircraft at NAS Nax now on display. The S-3, I think, had already been with a squadron transferred to NAS Jax when it was retired to display status. The Crusader and the Skyhawk were at Cecil originally. There are other aircraft there also, including a P-2V Neptune, and another Corsair.

http://www.nasjax.navy.mil/index2001b.htm

I am not sure if all of them went there though. I will do some checking on it. Quite a few of my fellow shipmates from my tour with VA-15 still live in Jacksonville; specifically in Orange Park.

I'll have an update for you soon.

Navychief

Yeah my old Squadron VS27 was decommisioned in 1994 and then Cecil closed not long after that. I have seen all the static displays at NAS Jax last year when I attended my Dad's retirement cerimony and they looked nice. I recognized a couple from Cecil too. The VS31 bird looks new though, I dont remember that one from Cecil. The A4 and F8 I do remember though. Thanks for the picks Chief, I miss that base sometimes.lol :wink: