Sign in to follow this  
Miya_Sama

video card...256Mb or 512Mb ?

was looking at purchasing a newer video card but am confused since every forum has threads which contradict themselves. Is 512Mb really better than 256Mb? Seems obvious to me, but the forums are replete with people saying it is a waste, only a marketing gimmick

I have a 512MB x1800XT.

I used to have a 256MB x800 XL.

Depending on the way the game is written, the quantity and quality of the textures, and you choice of settings (resoultion, anti-aliasing, etc.), the extra memory can make a difference.

If you actually intend to play games that benefit from more RAM, make your you get a card with at least a 256-bit memory interface to allow the card to use the memory fast enough and have something like AGP 8x or PCIE slot to permit the PC to transfer the data back and forth to the video card fast enough.

The gpu's RAM also needs to be clocked fast enough for all of the other parameters to reach their full potential.

Of course your PC CPU needs to be fast to send and fetch the data fast enough as well.

It is easy to buy a video card and have it crippled by a bottleneck within its own design or in the PC you are installing it into.

Some cards advertise large RAM, but one or more design parameters makes anything more the 128MB impractical (usually a 64-bit or 128-bit interface with older, slower RAM).

The only game I have that uses all 512MB of RAM out of the box (or download in this case) is Aces High 2, and even then that is only is I download the hi-res textures and check the option to preload all of the textures before starting the game.

The SFP1 series with hi-res textures (typical of current user mods such as Mirage Factory hi-def releases) sucks up gpu RAM, too.

If several hi-res aircraft are loaded at the same time, you will easily benefit from large RAM video cards.

To the best of my knowledge, I don't have any other games I play that use more than 256MB of RAM.

thank you, that is very informative. I currently am using an 7600GS 256 and saw that the 7600GT 512 is selling for $90. Of course there are better PCI cards out there but I am still using an AGPx8 system. It seems the best way to get a small performance boost with out a total upgrade would be to change out the video card.

The processor is a P4 3.4 HTT with 1.25GHz sdram, I know a long way from a gaming rig, but it so far works for my needs.

again, thank you for your very helpful advice.

More RAM allows more textures to be held on the card, which can result in the following possible benefits--using higher-res textures in the game, taking less time to load, increasing your FSAA and AF settings. Generally speaking things won't run any faster, unless you experience slowdowns using high-res textures when they get swapped in and out of card RAM. Then more RAM will alleviate that.

The processor is a P4 3.4 HTT with 1.25GHz sdram, I know a long way from a gaming rig, but it so far works for my needs.

I know you asked about a video card, but...

If you only have 1.25(GB)? of sdram, that you might benefit more from more ram, than from a new video card. Like at least 2GB of ram.

Just a thought.

From personal experience, I'd have to say, go with a 512MB card.

It simply allows for faster caching and video transfer.

Oh sdram... save your money and get your self a new rig... something about 4GB RAM E6750 Gigabyte Mobo P35 1 TB SATA2 HDD and a 8800GT 512MG... This is my rig and doesn`t cost the world .. remember you have to buy a new 550W "nuclear plant" :minigun:

I have a 1024 MB GeForce 8600 and it blasts the paper off the walls (visually that is)!!!!

thank you, that is very informative. I currently am using an 7600GS 256 and saw that the 7600GT 512 is selling for $90. Of course there are better PCI cards out there but I am still using an AGPx8 system. It seems the best way to get a small performance boost with out a total upgrade would be to change out the video card.

The EVGA-7600GT is just an overclocked GS with 512 of ddr2. Now if you want to spend the money you can get a Radeon 3850 the fastest, newest, and last AGP card out (but for that money you can get a new system.)

Now if you want good NVIDIA card look for a 7600 GT (256 DDR3) or a 7800GS on ebay. Also EVGA is having a b-stock sales on 7800gs's for 109 USD

http://www.evga.com/products/bstock.asp

So far, the best ATI card is the x1950, it is extremely powerful, but it is a power hog.

If you want to go cheap, (which means 512 ddr 2 for under $70) then go www.newegg.com and order a x1650 for 60 bucks.

512 ddrII vs 256 ddrIII.... not interchangeable as you may think. If the ddrII card has higher clock/core speeds and more pixel pipelines (or at least 12) then if the price is right and the card has good driver support and decent cooling, get it. But be warned, a lot of games/programs won't access of that memory, and most 512 ddrII cards are not designed to utilize all the available memory efficiently

But let it be known that ddrIII cards can access memory faster and ddrIII cards generally have faster core clocks, but if the ddrII and ddrIII cards are closely matched, then go for the card with the better driver support and price. IMHO there is no need to break the bank for a DX 9 AGP card, because you will be forced to upgrade pretty soon anyway.