Sign in to follow this  
iam73

SFP1E Question - Choose extract folder?

I'm certainly not the first one who does this but I extracted all files from objectdata.cat and by default it put them all in the WoE\Objects folder... what a mess, fortunately, I had a backup of my Objects folder so I knew which files were defautls.

But I was wondering, isn't there a way to change the extract folder path? Or is there a better tool to work with CAT archives?

I mean, SFP1E is nice, but unless I'm missing something, you can extract 1 or all files, not let's say all the A-10 files. Can't change extract path either :dntknw:

I'm using SFP1E 1.0 from Check-Six by the way, I haven't found a newer release, not sure if there's one...

Thanks for any tips !

It always extracts to the folder where the cat file resides. ie: flightdata.cat, extracts to /Flight folder; terrains to those terrains.

No way to change that that I've ever seen

Wrench

kevin stein

It always extracts to the folder where the cat file resides. ie: flightdata.cat, extracts to /Flight folder; terrains to those terrains.

No way to change that that I've ever seen

Wrench

kevin stein

Thanks for the info!

I've looked at the CAT format and it seems to be a pretty basic binary data format...

I might start my own CAT import/export/editor tool.

If you or anyone else think it could be useful to have a CAT tool with more functionalities, let me know and what functionality you would like to see in there.

But as I said, I will probably start a little project for myself, I like that kind of stuff and I've worked with bin data files before in other games so it shouldn't be *too hard*.

Cheers!

I have copied the CAT file and extractor to a new folder and worked from there. Not as clean as having an option to put the stuff elsewhere but it works.

Actually. I would like a tool that would allow me to BUILD cat files. That way, if I wanted to combine my Objectdata.cat files from WOE and WOI for example, I could. I don't know if that would be legal or not though.

FastCargo

I have copied the CAT file and extractor to a new folder and worked from there. Not as clean as having an option to put the stuff elsewhere but it works.

Me too, similar way.

But would be cool if I will able extract with 1 step more selected files.

I heard about another program, and I have it somewhere(in a old hard drive) it's name is Were is it, but i never try yet.

Actually. I would like a tool that would allow me to BUILD cat files. That way, if I wanted to combine my Objectdata.cat files from WOE and WOI for example, I could. I don't know if that would be legal or not though.

FastCargo

Would Be Very Cool ! For Your own use, I think must be legal.

vulkan

Well, I've started something. I can read any CAT files (easy part done).

Next I'm going to add "sorting" i.e Sort list of CAT files by name, size, offsets...

Then will add the ability to extract.

Features I'd like to get (and gathered from this thread if anyone want something specific) are:

-Read CAT files (obviously)

-Sort CAT content list by offset/name/size/file type

-Export 1, many (selected) or all files in CAT

-Import files to in CAT

-Create CAT files

-Edit text based files stored in CAT without the need to export/re-import them (i.e. INI, TXT, STR files)

Cheers!

Wow, this could be a very good thing.

I mean it is nice to have the SFP1E, but it is pretty rudimentary.

With these items mentioned, it could pretty darned slick!

Rock and roll, iam73...

:clapping:

Short update on this small project:

What is is: A new CAT file editor tool

-Read CAT files (obviously) *DONE*

-Sort CAT content list by offset/name/size/file type *DONE*

-Export 1, many (selected) or all files in CAT *DONE*

-Choose export destination *DONE*

-Import files to in CAT

-Create/Merge CAT files

-Edit text based files stored in CAT without the need to export/re-import them (i.e. INI, TXT, STR files)

If anyone think about anything that would be useful, let me know.

Cheers,

iam

P.S (If anyone is interested in testing this when it's ready, please drop me a PM)

Edited by iam73

My friend, you complete this and your praises will be sung in the annals of 3rd Wire history. I can't think of anything else we woudl need it to do than what you have proposed. SO GO MAN GO!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!