Sign in to follow this  
ONETINSOLDIER

close encounters

First off,the title is a bit misleading,but it sure got your attention! This is one of the encounters I had while living in Fallon,Nevada directly under the glide path of the Naval air station.

I was splitting the rent with a friend of mine who had recently been discharged from the navy and had gone to work for Ford Aerospace. He was operating ground based radar systems that were "aquired" by the military from various soviet block countries and used to train U.S. pilots.

One day we decided to drive outside of town to a place called "Sand Mountain",which as the name suggests ,is a giant mountain of sand that people come from all over the states to play in thier dune buggies,etc.

We had turned off the highway onto the dirt road that led out the giant sandbox and were putting along ,minding our own business,when we started to hear a loud rumble approaching from behind us. Just as both of us turned to look out the rear window of the truck,an F-15,

sporting a red,white and blue paint scheme,thundered directly over us following the dirt road we were on at maybe 50 feet off the deck,at what sounded like full afterburner,causing both of us to lose at least two years off of our lifespan.

My buddie stopped the truck and we got out and watched as the F-15 climbed and looped around to make another pass over us,but a bit higher this time. As he approached, my friends radar detector started screaming bloody murder and my buddie looked at me and said,"I may be wrong,but I believe we are about to electronically blowd away!"

Im not sure if the pilot had us in particular painted,but we had a good laugh after our legs stopped shaking,and Im SURE the pilot got a chuckle out of it.

I might be mistaken about the model of the jet,but from looking at pictures,it sure seemed to be an F-15,but it was definatly painted red white and blue.

When I was deployed in Iraq 04-05 I was riding in the turret of a 1114. We were heading north on MSR Tampa with our TCN trucks with us. We were probably somewhere around 100 miles north of Safwan and just south of Cedar 2 or Al Nasiriyah in southern Iraq. I had reached down to grab a bottle of water and when I got up I heard this loud deep shrieking sound that seemed like it was coming from right on top of me. I didnt know what the hell it was and it scared me so good I fell down inside the 1114 and knocked my head on the back of the turret on the way in. I talked to people in my unit later about what they saw and from what they said they thought it was English Harrier or maybe a Jaguar or something. Theres no way I will ever know for sure what type of aircraft it was but my buddies told me that saw it was British. I didnt get up in time to get a good look at they guy leaving the scene of the crime. Everybody had a good laugh on me that day even the TCN drivers who saw it.

I don't know if the Brits deployed any Jaguars to Iraq or not, at least not in that time period. I think they're all retired now. Besides, if there's a good way to describe a Harrier, it's a "shrieking sound." Those things are ridiculously loud.

As for that F-16, it sounds like it might have been the VISTA/AFTI F-16. Other than the T-birds it's the only F-16 in a R/W/B scheme I know of and I think you'd have recognized if it was a T-bird! :wink:

Yeah I still dont know even after watching the video its been a long time.

That Rafale pilot was really pushing it man. That guy has a large set.

I was in St.Louis recently for the FIRST Robotics Competition and we had just left the arch when 4 F-15s flew over at about 1000ft (im guessing cuz they werent far above the arch) in diamond formation. Pretty cool to see especially cuz they seemed to come from nowhere. I kept watching as the fluw up and away. I bet the people in the arch at that moment got some good pics...but I dunno about the smells... :biggrin:

In addition, I need to stop playing AC6 cuz at first, I thought they were MIGs or Sukhois. I about had a heart attack...