Sign in to follow this  
doc serizawa

WEAPONDATA is crashing game

Yesterday, I decided to sit down and sort out the giant mess that is my WEAPONDATA. I deleted a bunch of duplicates and stuff I didn't need, and was about half-way through reorganizing it so that I could actually find stuff. I dropped it into WOI, and now the game crashes on start-up. Ugh.

Was it something that I did? I used the WOI weapons editor, and I didn't do anything besides using the moveup/movedown buttons, delete and save. I never touched anything with the text editor. After the crash, I looked at it in notepad, and nothing looks out of whack. The only thing that I can think of is that I need to open and close all the weapons now that I moved them, but I thought that was only so that could be used in game, not to keep the whole game from crashing.

Has this happened to anybody else? Is this a known issue I just don't know about? Any ideas about what to do?

And yes, I did back it up before I started. I still have a good WEAPONSDATA, its just the same mess its always been.

Nope. I did that a long time ago. My Weapons Editor runs just fine. I've messed around with my WEAPONDATA.ini with the Weapons Editor plenty of times and have never had any problems (besides that it is completely out of order). My problem, now, is that after working on it so that there is some sort of order to it, WOI crashes as soon as I try to run it.

You definately used the Latest Weps editor that was released just after WOI?

Does the game run if you move Weapondata.dat out of the folder?

Do you have any other Weapondata.dat files in other subfolders in Objects?

You definately used the Latest Weps editor that was released just after WOI?

Yes. Definately. Even if I hadn't, judging by the experiences that other people have reported on the board, the game would run just fine, I just wouldn't have any weapons available at the loadout screens. I don't even get that far- I get a window saying "Wings over Israel has encountered a serious problem and needs to close. We are sorry for the inconvience."(Or something like that. You know the window.)

Does the game run if you move Weapondata.dat out of the folder?

Yes. If I delete them or sub in other versions, WOI starts up just fine. The only Weapondata.dat and Weapondata.ini that doesn't work is the one I tried to organize.

Do you have any other Weapondata.dat files in other subfolders in Objects?

No. A search says that the only Weapondata.dat/.ini files in the whole Object folder tree are the ones causing the troubles. I do have backups of Weapondata.dat/.ini in Objects, but they are all renamed, so they shouldn't be an issue. They've also been sitting in there since I started modding this game, and have not caused any problems.

Did you remove any of the default weapons? I have noticed that is you do that, it will crash the sim.

wow, here's a coupla ideas to try:

1) extract stock weaponsdata ini; add the weapons you want, do the add weapons ini dance.

2) D/L the TMF weapons pak; add the weapons you want do the add weapons ini dance.

Both/either will fix the problem

Wrench

kevin stein