Sign in to follow this  
Stevo75

Flight Equipment

Hey guys. Im looking at getting some decent equipment for use with my flightsimes. LockOn and Falcon 4.0

For the joystick im looking at the HOTAS COUGAR, however i have no idea about a decent set of rudder pedals.

PLEASE HELP.

Cheers chaps.

Stevo

we do have a game controllers forum here however you will get all sorts of opinions on the pros/cons of CH Pro, Saitek & TM HOTAS.

Where you are & your budget come into it too.

Mine is a Saitek X-52 i had the X-45 before Saitek has a very good support, but pls don`t buy the X-52 pro.... the normal one is much better.

but pls don`t buy the X-52 pro.... the normal one is much better.

I would disagree except in the vfm stakes.

The Pro is mechanically better but you are paying for the MFD when very few games currently can output to it - of course if the games that you play can use it then ignore that statement :wink:

The pro is different in feeling, i don`t like it personaly. And the MFD is on the X-52 too but i don`t think you can program it. never used mine.

test them and feel free in your choice. :type:

Stupid me didnt see the forum fo game controllers so sorry bout that. But ta for all the replies all the same. Well ive done it. Splashed out on the X52PRO and PRO Rudder Pedals. i no ill be recieveing it tomo, but does any1 know of the comparrison between the TM cougar and X52? ive read the cougar has high resistance, ie strong springs, is this the case for the X52PRO??

Follow the link in my sig, you can't go wrong. I am Ch convert. My Cougar collects dusk now.

Hey guys. Im looking at getting some decent equipment for use with my flightsimes. LockOn and Falcon 4.0

For the joystick im looking at the HOTAS COUGAR, however i have no idea about a decent set of rudder pedals.

PLEASE HELP.

Cheers chaps.

Stevo

I've read numerous time on Frugals (from F4 fanatics) that the Cougar is almost worthless without +150$ hardware mods...

You might want to search about this (google or frugalsworld forums).

Back in June of 06, I was at a similar crossroads. I had enjoyed my X-45, but wanted to upgrade. The two finalists were the TM Cougar and the CH line. I went with the Cougar, but I'm now looking to go CH. Here's some insight to the Cougar:

• Complex Programing
  • Expensive mods (they are worth it, but really expensive)
  • PITA customer support (as found out by others)
  • Possible design flaw/final assembly problem (metal on metal contact with no lubrication with wears down the gimbal, and produces metal filings that dump out)

I've heard that the CH items are MUCH easier to use, and cost a little bit less. Now, the Cougar is an exact replica of the F-16 controls, but as far as gaming goes, I'd go with the CH.

CH. They are a little more pricey but you can beat the living crap out of them for years and they keep going. They are easy to program if you don't want anything fancy.

CH. They are a little more pricey but you can beat the living crap out of them for years and they keep going.

But In Kirby's case, he uses his to play hand ball, thus why he knows you can beat the crap out of them. :rofl::biggrin:

The pro is different in feeling, i don`t like it personaly. And the MFD is on the X-52 too but i don`t think you can program it. never used mine.

agreed, it's stiffer which I like.

The X52 MFD can't display the same stuff that the X52 Pro MFD can.

At $100 (the price gogamer.com had for some time), the X-52 Pro was a steal.

I dislike the CH stick simply for the reason that I have no interest in F-16 style sticks (the closer to a B-8 the better for me).

I don't like the CH throttle at all.

I like the X-36/X-45 throttle more than any other availble in terms of layout/comfort and before I got rudder pedals, I liked the rudder rocker better than a twisty stick.

I already had an X-36 USB and an X-45.

I never bothered getting the standard X-52 since it didn't really offer me anything I wanted (the loss of the rudder rocker and addition of the twisty stick was a big issue with me).

The X-52 Pro's internals and overall feel were worth it to me and I used the money I saved on the stick to get rudder pedals (I keep the twisty stick locked).

The MFD tells me the time (useful while playing a game with no free hands) and what profile I am using (you can change profiles while playing a game, useful if you forget to select the right profile before starting the game).

I still prefer the X-36 stick's shape (more comfortable) and it's throttle's configuration (same as X-45), but otherwise love the X-52 Pro more.

I used an X45 until it broke after several years (I got my money's worth--no complaints) and now I use a standard X52. I prefer the paddle-type rudder control on the X45 over the twist-type control on the X52, but other than that it is great and reasonably priced.

But In Kirby's case, he uses his to play hand ball, thus why he knows you can beat the crap out of them. :rofl::biggrin:

Well, that, too.

Yank and bank, baby! Yank and bank!