Sign in to follow this  
Salraine_Chi

Several Questions FOA regular players

I have recently bought WoV, WoE and WoI all in the last week and am enjoying them very much. I have added some basic addons such as a cloud mod, explosion effect, terrain/tiles ect and am sticking to them until I gain more knowledge on how to add planes ect. The Vietnam 1984 mod is especially good.

I have searched and not found a few answers to questions I have:

1. Is it possible to change the distance I can see planes and ground objects? At the minute a plane disappears at a very short range and I would like to increase this.

2. Am I able to change the sound levels for certain things such as engine loudness or gun sounds by it self rather than across the board?

3. Can I change the font size and position of the text ect on the HUD of planes?

4. Recommendations for must have addons.

5. I am playing on normal settings for AI and sim difficulty. Is it advisable to up this to hard as I am finding I rarely get into trouble from the enemy and when following an enemy plane it often will just fly in a straight line and not try to avoid my missiles/bullets. Basically what are the perfect settings to give me a challenge but not frustrate me?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I would like to get the most from these games and as a newcomer I would like to thank any posters that may help me in advance.

Ta

Sal

Edited by Salraine_Chi

I'll give this a shot:

1.) You can't change the distance at which plane models first appear to your eyes. You can, however, change the distance at which the little red and blue boxes appear. I believe the horizon-distance setting will affect the distance at which ground objects appear.

2.) The only way to change the volume of individual sounds is with a sound editor.

3.) Don't know. I know that it's possible to make on-screen elements disappear entirely with text edits.

4.) The Su-27 'Flanker' and the latest 'Weapons Pack'.

5.) Definitely up the AI to 'Hard" mode.

That's about all I can think of at the moment.

Tristan

Edited by Tristan

I have recently bought WoV, WoE and WoI all in the last week and am enjoying them very much. I have added some basic addons such as a cloud mod, explosion effect, terrain/tiles ect and am sticking to them until I gain more knowledge on how to add planes ect. The Vietnam 1984 mod is especially good.

I have searched and not found a few answers to questions I have:

1. Is it possible to change the distance I can see planes and ground objects? At the minute a plane disappears at a very short range and I would like to increase this.

2. Am I able to change the sound levels for certain things such as engine loudness or gun sounds by it self rather than across the board?

3. Can I change the font size and position of the text ect on the HUD of planes?

4. Recommendations for must have addons.

5. I am playing on normal settings for AI and sim difficulty. Is it advisable to up this to hard as I am finding I rarely get into trouble from the enemy and when following an enemy plane it often will just fly in a straight line and not try to avoid my missiles/bullets. Basically what are the perfect settings to give me a challenge but not frustrate me?

Any advice would be much appreciated as I would like to get the most from these games and as a newcomer I would like to thank any posters that may help me in advance.

Ta

Sal

Get into this website and do delve in. Its a pandora's box.The download section caters to every whim, fancy, or fetish you might have for the flying machines.

Try the Ai discussed here a few days ago. Play around with the settings. Personally I've changed everything to hard, except for visual targeting because I play on tiny 15 '' laptop. The new AI extracted from Woi( see http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=26039) can be further tweaked to personal preferences and makes for immersive gameplay.

Thanks for both these replies.

I have since found the HUD.ini and have changed the text size and it looks much better. I have also made the waypoint triangle and target arrows a lot smaller which is also what I was after.

I have installed Bunyayps weapon pack as this was recommended although some of the weapons will not work/fire. If anyone has the answer to this please let me know? Im guessing I need to do something else apart from just installing it!!

I have searched all the addons and am happy with the cloud, sun and effects mods I have found so far but I will have to research the plane addons as they seem a lot more complicated to get working. I have a copy of WoV with the Vietnam 1984 mod in it which has a load of new aircraft, can I just copy the plane folders to WoV and that is it the planes will be flyable in that game too or to WoE/WoI?

I have cranked up the settings to hard although I might have to use normal for the HUD and targeting as I don't have a clue what to do. I spotted the bearing counter in the cockpit but I cannot see a dial which tells me what height I should be at.

Sorry for so many questions but I am eager to learn.

Again any tips or advice would be welcome.

Ta

Sal

Edited by Salraine_Chi

Yeah you can copy an individual (3rd Party) planes folder and paste that into any game and it will run. The game you add it to may need the effects, weapons adding that the planes uses. also in WOV you may need to alter the games date for later jets because by defualt it only goes to 1973.

Transfering stock jets - you would at least need to extract all of its game files from object.cat before you transfered it.

Do the weapons in the pack show up in the loadout screen?

Radar guided A-A need a radar lock

Laser guided need a designator - some may need a ground target lock with E

Leave the HUD on normal unless you have a very high res monitor and a track IR IMO

Most of the cockpits have an altimeter - normally one of the larger dials - but you can check by seeing which ones move when you climb or dive. Will be 1000s of feet but marked in single digits normally ie 1,2,3,4,5, etc

Some jets may give you one dial for Altitude (above sea level) and one dial for "Radar Altitude" (above ground level)

I have a quick question or 2 while were at it.

How to you lock onto ground targets with mavericks? What is the process, step, by step? I've searched the forums and haven't found anything.

Also, I play the game with all difficulty settings on hardest. How do you identify a ground target that your supposed to bomb ( Destroy enemy building in the area ) without the boxes and triangles?

I have a quick question or 2 while were at it.

How to you lock onto ground targets with mavericks? What is the process, step, by step? I've searched the forums and haven't found anything.

Also, I play the game with all difficulty settings on hardest. How do you identify a ground target that your supposed to bomb ( Destroy enemy building in the area ) without the boxes and triangles?

To lock a Maverick on a ground target you simply press E to choose a ground target -missile will lock automatically, all you have to do is to point your nose generally in the target direction and fire when in range. Modern avionics equipped aircrafts should automatically switch to warhead image on your radar/TV screen showing the selected target once you select Mavericks -or any guided missile/bomb

• Dislike 1

Thanks Stary :)

1 more question. Bit more difficult one though.

I've dl'ed the Mirage Factory's weopons, and F-4's and installed them. I'm having fun with the campaigns, I decided I would edit the Yom kippur war campaign to use their F-4. Well, I figured out how to do that thanks to bunyap's walk though in the Knowledge Base forum. Only one problem, I decided I needed to have at least 1 maverick missile to go with it :) So I picked the AGM-65A

I added it to the list in my new WOICAMP4_DATA file below the aircrafts entry like this:

Supply[012].WeaponType=UK1000LB

Supply[012].Quantity=40

Supply[013].WeaponType=Tank370_F4

Supply[013].Quantity=240

Supply[014].WeaponType=Tank600_F4

Supply[014].Quantity=120

Supply[015].WeaponType=AGM-65A <------

Supply[015].Quantity=40 <------

But still it doesn't appear in the load-out screen in the campaign. Can't quite figure this one out. Anyone else done this yet? I considered just deleting TK's F4 Kurnass and replacing it with the Mirage Factory's F4 IDF. Just renaming all the files in the MF's F4 to the same names as TK's F4, and deleting TK's. And then seeing if it would appear in the campaign with the weapons set that MF gave it.

I did see that in the weapons data ini that the service start year for the AGM65A is indeed 1973.