Having spent hours over the years perfecting 'carrier landings' in just about every sim that had that facility I got to wondering how many of you actually do a manual landing.

Do you land the aircraft yourself or let the Autopilot do it for you? I myself can land almost all airplanes on the deck with the exception of the A6 Intruder in WOV. With that one I never seem to get it right. I do sometimes end up 'below decks' but manage a landing 9 times out of ten.

How about you guys?

Love deck landing. Especially the Passionate Pachyderm, the RA5C. I never let the computer land it, no matter what condition I'm coming back in from "up north." Don't fly the A-6 much, usually the Phantom or Crusader, my two favorites, or the A-4 Scooter. Waiting for the new release of the Mirage Factory's new A-7, which looks to be just as good as their Gunfighter. Real men don't use asphalt. :biggrin:

Heck

of COURSE I manually fly them aboard!!

:yes:

Yeh :good:

Nothin like 'Sader Ball at state 3.5 with 4 MiG's to ya credit.... :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

Having spent hours over the years perfecting 'carrier landings' in just about every sim that had that facility I got to wondering how many of you actually do a manual landing.

Do you land the aircraft yourself or let the Autopilot do it for you? I myself can land almost all airplanes on the deck with the exception of the A6 Intruder in WOV. With that one I never seem to get it right. I do sometimes end up 'below decks' but manage a landing 9 times out of ten.

How about you guys?

Auto WHAT!!??? :rofl:

I don't even like to use it in the real airplane. I still fly it up to cruise and then engage the autopilot. Our company procedures don't allow us to use IAS hold (auto-throttle is not installed either) for the climb so IMO it's just too easy to get distracted and get too slow, especially with some of our more tired engines.

Manual landing and I love the A-6(even with it's quirky dirty flight). The Tomcat is a breeze to bring in as is the F/A-18(though visibility is less than optimal). Even landed a Thunderchief on a carrier!

Even landed a Thunderchief on a carrier!

maan oh maan the Thud would have been HELL to implement for the Navy..... :biggrin:

[seeing as how they jus tossed the F-111 :rofl: ]

Always a manual landing - though with the variety of jets in WOV it takes a few missions to get into the swing of it with whatever im using. This usually means a few dodgy moments and missed wires. :moil:

Always a manual landing - though with the variety of jets in WOV it takes a few missions to get into the swing of it with whatever im using. This usually means a few dodgy moments and missed wires. :moil:

Yep. Same here. It's all about practice makes perfect! :biggrin:

Just flown a carrier op from YAP 'Dead of Night' and landed the Skyhawk in the middle of the night on the USS Oriskany. Now that's not easy in any aircraft although the Skyhawk is a dream to fly. Finding the right carrier in the dead of night even with the radar directions is no picnic!

Edited by Brainless

The YAP carrier actually has lights though which is a bit of a bonus!

The YAP carrier actually has lights though which is a bit of a bonus!

Yes it's nice but still not easy. A great feeling tho' flying down 'in the groove' with all the lights flickering and then suddenly you're on the deck.

>Sniff, snort<

Smells like squid in here...

:biggrin:

:rofl::haha: even tho my sis was a CPO! lol but carrier landings are incredible! now throw in a night carrier landing! :crazy: Edited by Viper6

:rofl::haha: even tho my sis was a CPO! lol but carrier landings are incredible! now throw in a night carrier landing! :crazy:

Here we go with those Alphabeticals I can't figure out. What's a CPO :dntknw:

Here we go with those Alphabeticals I can't figure out. What's a CPO :dntknw:
Chief Petty Officer :ok: It's a Navy thing LOL. GO ARMY!

Chief Petty Officer :ok: It's a Navy thing LOL. GO ARMY!

Oh yes of course. I did know that one. It's just that... well I'm a bit Brainless today. :biggrin:

Even landed a Thunderchief on a carrier!

a chilling thought.......

must have been an impressive approach speed! With that weight, speed and sink rate the Final spot must have been somewhere below the hangar deck on the mess decks?

which brings to mind some other scenarios to try out........

"Buff, ball 45.7, heavy"

"Wave it off, Buff. To many motors at the ramp!"

:rofl:

we actually had a guy come to us from flying Hercs. His callsign, whatever it was before, was immediately changed to "motors"

:haha:

Always land manually. Well, 'land' is not strictly correct as I sometimes overshoot and end up in the drink or smear myself all over the fantail of the stern. :haha::oops: Worst one was when the carrier went straight over the top of me. Nice big 'kaboom!' ensued as the plane blew, which really impressed me. I find the A-4 a dream to land, as well as the Tomcat. Find the F-4 a little trickier, for some reason.

Looked at your video. Bravo, Kreelin, you da man! And that was close. Loved the sound of the reverse thrust that saved your ass.

a few other "interesting" carrier ops -

one of these is actually real......