Sign in to follow this  
oded

Which sim for a Laptop ?

I've been having lots of fun with WOI and would like to install a sim on my laptop as well.

laptop's specifications :

Intel dual core 2 duo 1.66 Ghz

1 GB RAM

video card - Intel 950 (integrated card).

looking for a sim that will run smoothly with a good gameplay (one of the thirdwire series would be great). what do you guys think ?

BTW, tried running "Lock on" on it and it was way out of its league...

Thanks, Oded.

I'd say for:

Laptop - WOI

Desktop - WOI!!

(and I have WOE, SFP1, WOV, WOI, F4AF, Lock-on etc...)

btw, the game will play off a USB thumb drive - a 2Gb is really cheap and it won't take up any space on your Harddrive.

I do play WoE, SFP1, rarely WoV and WoI on my laptop, and with no major problems on highest settings. Only an handfull drop in FR sometimes, but it's rare.

1GB Ram, Core 1,8ghz, Nvidia Geforce 7600

I've been having lots of fun with WOI and would like to install a sim on my laptop as well.

1 GB RAM

looking for a sim that will run smoothly with a good gameplay (one of the thirdwire series would be great). what do you guys think ?

Thanks, Oded.

Our laptops are somewhat similar:

1.4 ghz processor

768 MB RAM

GMA 950 integrated card

I run WOE/WOV on medium settings with no real issues. With your extra RAM, I would guess that yours will be able to do better. I also run F4:AF (Falcon 4: Allied Forces) on high settings with no issues, IL-2: 1946 on high with no issues. So out of those three, you should be able to pick whatever suits your playing style.

:good:

On my deployments to OEF/OIF, I've successfully loaded and play all of the Thirdwire jet sims without too many problems. My laptop is less capable than yours, but still on low/med settings I have a good time.

F4:AF should also work. Dont forget about the joystick. I bring along a cheapy Saitek and it's great.

Cheers,

Storm

1 GB RAM

Thanks, Oded.

I have a Dell Centrino Core 2 Duo @ 1.8GHz, with an Intel 950 series Graphics Chip & a Gig of RAM... Wings Over Europe and Falcon 4.0: Allied Force run like a dream on it with the majority of the details set to medium or high. WOE, the aircraft skins are set to medium detail, unfortunately... High detail, makes the machine stutter. The fact that your machine is 200MHz slower than mine will make little or no difference. Enjoy.

Edited by MigHound

On high detail you run into the limitations of the Intel graphics chip. Laptops with nvidia or ATI graphics will do better in that area.

Well I intalled WOI on the laptop and can play it with good results on Low settings (about 30 FPS), medium settings make the game stutter (10-17 FPS).

just for comparison, on my desktop computer - Intel core 2 duo 2.0 GHz, 2 GB ram & Geforce 8500GT (512 MB), the sim runs smoothly on medium settings (about 50 FPS), but stutter on high settings (12-20 FPS).

actually low settings is very playable. truth is I can hardly tell a difference from higher settings.

Oded.

If it doesn't bother you, than don't worry about it! :grin: Some people obsess over getting a game to play on the highest possible settings without bothering to see what they gain from it. A 1% increase in your perceived visual experience for a 25% decrease in performance just doesn't add up.

Seriously, avoid LOMAC if you are thinking of running it in high settings. Even my Dell laptop (Inspiron 6400 aka E1505 for some of you guys, with an ATI X1400 along with 2GB of DDR2 RAM) could barely run LOMAC in high settings, and once you get near to the water...my goodness.

Of course, I could always blame my Core Duo for that >.> .

Edited by kct

I got F-22 Raptor on my laptop. For any other Sims, I just must use a Joystick :P