Sign in to follow this  
gerwin

Static Aircraft in WOE

I managed to add a static C-130 Hercules to an airfield in a single mission.

There seem to be two ways:

1- Place it as an aircraft object (ini hack in downloads section).

2- Place it as a ground object (model by capun, with destroyed lod, in downloads section)

The first way adds the aircraft, it looks good, but once destroyed there is no wreckage left.

Also IIRC the thing was not hurt by gunfire, and it would probably be a A-A missile target?

The second way I liked more.

Though again this ground object remains untouched by any amount of gunfire.

Also I am kinda disappointed in the destroyed model:

From far it looks like it isn't a wreckage but the same intact airplane. This is because the LOD file uses the same texture. So I made a burned alternate texture and edited the lod binary. file to point to the new bitmap, yet it doesn't seem to accept this and the destroyed plane looks all white. Though I am sure I could pull this trick in other situations...

Any ideas?

I tried the same thing with parked birds for the SoCal upgrade...for some reason, even when entered into the terrain types* ini, hexedited/created a new d_LOD, new destroyed texture, they just disappeared. Only thing left was the destryed effet "vehiclefireeffect'' works nice, although 'mediumoilfire' is more smokey.

Even in WoI, there's no destroyed model...they just go "poooofff" and vanish. On a side note, you can always use the 'destroyed model' for the B-17 from the WW2 maps for a blown out Herc. Just a suggestion... :wink:

As to placing them, I'd wait a bit before spending a lot of time on it. I'm sure the patch, when it comes out, will upgrade the existing games to WoI status, in relation to parked aircraft.

Wrench

kevin stein

*I use them as terrain objects; gives a much finer control on what you can do

Since we're on the subject, how are the parked aircraft done in WoI?

Has it been figured out as to entries?

I saw very few in my 1st 3 campaigns, and they seem to expire as well.

I would like to adjust number of airfields with parked aircraft to maxiumum, and duration to forever!

:biggrin:

Guest capun

The problem is that there is a bug in the game, destroyed LOD textures have to go to the GroundObject folder and not on their own folder.

Since we're on the subject, how are the parked aircraft done in WoI?

Has it been figured out as to entries?

I saw very few in my 1st 3 campaigns, and they seem to expire as well.

I would like to adjust number of airfields with parked aircraft to maxiumum, and duration to forever!

:biggrin:

If you are wondering where to look, go to the terrain and look for the "terrain name"_targets.ini.

In that file you'll find various entries, for airfields you'll see something like this:

[TargetArea275]

Name=Hohenheide Highway Strip

Position=367000.000000,711000.000000

Radius=8485.281250

ActiveYear=0

Location=1

AirfieldDataFile=ROAD_AIRFIELD1.ini

NumSquadrons=1

Alignment=FRIENDLY

Target[001].Type=Road_Runway

Target[001].Offset=0.00,0.00

Target[001].Heading=0.0

etc, etc, etc....

Now, the bolded line references a ini that defines several things...but specifically the taxi and parking spots.

Going into a representative file referenced above:

[Runway001]

Heading=0

Offset=0,0

Length=2500

Width=90

TouchDownHead=0,918.5

TouchDownTail=0,-918.5

TakeOffHead=0,1300

TakeOffTail=0,-1300

TaxiHead[01].Heading=270

TaxiHead[01].Offset=88,1325

TaxiHead[02].Heading=270

TaxiHead[02].Offset=138,132

etc, etc, etc...

TaxiTail[01].Heading=270

TaxiTail[01].Offset=88,-1325

TaxiTail[02].Heading=270

TaxiTail[02].Offset=138,-1325

etc, etc, etc...

ParkingChance=90

ParkingMaxSpan=18.0

Parking[01].Heading=180

Parking[01].Offset=333,-482

Parking[02].Heading=180

Parking[02].Offset=354,-482

Parking[03].Heading=180

etc, etc, etc...

LargeParkingChance=70

LargeParkingMaxSpan=48.0

LargeParking[01].Heading=0

LargeParking[01].Offset=436,-125

LargeParking[02].Heading=0

LargeParking[02].Offset=384,-125

LargeParking[03].Heading=0

etc, etc, etc...

As you can see, it's pretty simple. The hard part is just figuring out the coordinates to place your statics.

Also, if aircraft are disappering in campaign, they might be getting attritted...

BTW, the parking chance numbers are not stock...I bumped up mine significantly.

FastCargo

Ah, good.

Was wondering about the chance= numbers, if those were stock, I'd have no prayer.

Will have to go in and juggle those numbahs!

Have you noticed them disappearing after a while? On my way from waypoint 2 - 3, I usually do an F6 scoutabout. I'll see some somewhere, and then go look again

later, once the pre-planned mission is complete, and they are no longer there. It is almost like they have mission times, somewhere, and when their hard day of parking

is over, they go home.

Yet another reason I'd love to see a "save" button on the debrief screen, but I've railed on that one enough before...

The problem is that there is a bug in the game, destroyed LOD textures have to go to the GroundObject folder and not on their own folder.

Thanks capun, putting the C-130 burned texture in the GroundObject folder made it work.

(see image) This already looks a lot more convincing.

I could not find the B-17 destroyed lod for now, after looking in some of the ww2 map folders.

post-32175-1205400771_thumb.jpg

Guest capun

Not all of the Static planes have a destroyed/damaged LOD.

Open the Data ini and look for this (just an example here)

[GroundObjectData]

DamagedModel=

DestroyedModel=Mi-24DS/Mi24D-Dest.LOD <- You need to have an entry here. Also note that it needs the file path added

DestroyedEffect=LargeExplosionEffect

EmptyMass=5500.00

Spectre: ground object disappear all the time...I've actually watched them 'pop' out of existence; just without the transporter sparlking effect :haha:

They're populated by the game engine at their various locations; say a vehicle depot or docked ship, when the player is at an as yet undetermined (at least by me) distance. I think the engine does that to save on on computing cycles; it only seems to happen for those set as "GroundObjects" Plays hell when trying to get that docked tanker at the oil terminal...or a Silkworm launcher to show up.....

Items set as 'terrain objects', like a country flag or buildings, fer instance, and possibly because it's LOD is so small, remain permantently visible. SAMs, AAA, tanks, trucks, APCs, EW & SAM radars, etc are all removed beyond a certain distance.

Wrench

kevin stein

Yup, noticed the proximity versus ground targets for a while now, most especially when F8'ing to a fixed target, then doing an F12 disconnect and doing a wander

around the area. Also, when a CAS mission kicks off, it waits until you hit waypoint 4 before the targets are "beamed in."

But the parked aircraft seem more like, well, aircraft.

They seem to have a mission to sit on the ramp and chill, and hit their 1 waypoint until a certain time, as all aircraft flights do.

I'm gonna keep rummaging, but I think they are done on the fly, when a mission is generated for the player. Finding those missions in memory would rock, but is

a bit more complex then I am able to handle.

i just hope we can add modern static Aircraft to campaigns in WOE

i hope an addon will be in the making because i had fun knocking out statics in WOI

It's tedious, but conceptually straightforward. I've already done it.

gallery_12105_43_97159.jpg

GermanyCE terrain with:

Hi Res airfield tiles

Gepards airfields

JSF_Aggies Road airbases

Airfield light addons

Brain32 and CA_Stary's tile and terrain object mod

Yep, this is WOI....

FastCargo

Guest pfunkmusik

What if you want to add static aircraft to airbases in a WOE campaign?

What values do you have to input into the terrain_Targets.ini and the terrain_types.ini?

pfunk

What values do you have to input into the terrain_Targets.ini and the terrain_types.ini?

pfunk

I have tried this a few times via making a static airframe lod (gear down), you then have to place the lods and bitmaps into the terrain folder you're going to use them in. Then you have to make an appropriate entry in the types ini for the static aircraft, usually a MISC object will do with little value. I think I copied over the entry for the static aircraft in the Range terrain for simplicity. Then using the type name of the static, you then go about finding offset positions from areas in the targets.ini to make appropriate placements for your aircraft. It's just a bit tedious. Especially when trigonometry gets involved to make your statics look uniformly directioned and spaced out on a ramp that points at 151 degrees :blink:

pfunk

For statics at various NATO and a few East German airbases in WOE try this mod (using Capun's static models) - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6299

Look in the "Add to GermanyCE_targets.ini" file I provided at the extra entries to the following airfields:

• Diepholz
  • Fassberg
  • Gutersloh
  • Jever
  • Laage
  • Putnitz
  • Wunstorf

The longevity of the statics can be controlled using the InactiveDate command per entry in the targets definition (e.g. Target[XXX].InactiveDate=04/30/1979)

Also, look at the supplied README for details how to increase the stock max number of ground objects the game supports (you'll need to do this, otherwise you'll get a CTD).

Regards, comrpnt.