I'm back with another question 0_o. Could someone please clarify how targeting works for wingmen and other planes in flights under the players command?

For example I am playing a campaign in the Vietnam 1984 mod but the questions applies to all the TW series. I had two flights of four planes, all Phantoms and the mission was to bomb a bridge in North Vietnam. Close to the target several enemy planes appeared so I told the second flight to engage air targets which they did and they kept them at bay until my flight hit the bridge. If I order my wingman to attack my target which was the bridge, do I have to keep that targeted with the red aquare or can I switch targets, order the rest of the flight to engage dround targets at will and the wingman will still attack the bridge?

Also if I order a flight or one plane to attack air units and they are carrying bombs/fuel tanks, do they automatically ditch them before attacking?

I am finding managing all the planes hard work as Im new to the series and some help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

Sal

Only your wingman will attack your designated target, after you tell him to attack it you can switch to another target.

The rest of your fight will attack any ground targets near you but you can't tell them what to hit like you can with your wing man.

If your planes are armed for A2G and you tell them to go after enemy planes, yes they will dump their ordinance.

Only your wingman will attack your designated target, after you tell him to attack it you can switch to another target.

The rest of your fight will attack any ground targets near you but you can't tell them what to hit like you can with your wing man.

If your planes are armed for A2G and you tell them to go after enemy planes, yes they will dump their ordinance.

Thanks for that. I will be back soon no doubt with a few more questions lol.

Ta

Sal

Thanks for that. I will be back soon no doubt with a few more questions lol.

Ta

Sal

Read through the knowledge base, it has tons of great info!

Read through the knowledge base, it has tons of great info!

Just noticed that, cheers I will get stuck in and hopefully get some questions answered.

Ta

Sal

The red square is just a visual guide for the virtual pilot as you may realise.

The wingmen may not drop ground ordinance immediately after receiving the "attack air targets" command. If no air targets they will keep ordinance until some bandits are in range/appear.

And for ground attack, make sure you let the wingmen know soon enough so they can line up for a run in on the target. Otherwise they usually take a while to make a suitable flight path in to bomb on target.

Edited by csb