Sign in to follow this  
centrinoe

Manually turn on and off lights,is it possible?

Is it possible for me to control the wing light and landing light manually? If so, how can I make it?

by the way, how can I make the landing gears rotating? is it animated by the engine automatically?

Centrinoe,

Have you read the 3d Studio Max Exporter notes from Thirdwire? That gives you the information about the landing gear. In short, the wheels do not need to be animated, but their rotation axis must be defined in MAX.

Also, lights can be defined in the data.ini files and are turned off and on using the 'Lights' key.

If you have lights that extend (like for the landing gear), those can be controlled by using the landing gear animation as far as extending and retracting. Illumination would be controlled by the 'Lights' key. But, you have to define it in the data.ini as a Landing Light...that way it doesn't 'light up' when the gear is up.

FastCargo

A quick look at any data ini will tell you how the runnning lights and landing lights are done:

This is from the WoI Skyhawk, with a newly added landing light:

[bottomRedLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=-1.063,-1.26,-0.932

LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.0,0.00

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.05

LightSrcRange=0.3

CanFlash=TRUE

FlashTime=0.6

[TopRedLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=0.00,-0.42,0.795

LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.00,0.0

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.05

LightSrcRange=0.3

CanFlash=TRUE

FlashTime=0.6

[LeftPositionLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=-4.194,-1.54,-0.476

LightSrcOffset=-0.0,0.00,0.00

Color=0.88,0.25,0.25

Brightness=0.03

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

[RightPositionLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=4.194,-1.54,-0.476

LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.00,0.00

Color=0.25,0.88,0.25

Brightness=0.03

LightSrcRange=0.5

CanFlash=FALSE

[TailLight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Position=0.0,-5.96,1.2

LightSrcOffset=0.00,0.00,0.00

Color=0.88,0.88,0.88

Brightness=0.02

LightSrcRange=0.2

CanFlash=FALSE

[Landinglight]

SystemType=LIGHT

Color=0.88,0.88,0.88

Brightness=0.05

Position=1.50,1.19,-1.00

LightSrcOffset=2.6046,49.0560,3.50

LightSrcRange=150

LightRange=45.0

CanFlash=FALSE

LightNodeName=LandingLight

IsLandingLight=TRUE <--this defines that it turns off on gear retraction

Of course, they still need to be defined in the varions component sections (left wing, tail, whereever they're supposed to be) with the

"SystemName(*number*)= /name of light/

What's interesting is the SystemName dosen't actually have to be on the component where the light actually is! On the P-51D-30 Mustang, the 3 underwing formation light (green/white/red), the red light is actually listed in the Fuselage section. You just move them via the Position= numbers

I believe the 'on time' (meaning when they turn on for the AI planes) may be goverened by the cockpit ini -- but that MAY only be for the actual cockipt light itselft (the NightLightOn= time). Otherwise, it governed by possibily something in the terrainengine.dll???

I've added and adjusted hundreds of lights on these Birds... and I've always hated!!! electrical work!!! :haha:

Wrench

kevin stein

Wrench,

Since you've been doing the 'light thing', can you tell me what these lines mean?

LightSrcRange=150

LightRange=45.0

I tried searching TW forums and here, but it wasn't enlightening...so to speak.

FastCargo

The first 2 I'm not sure...I remember Capun or Charles telling me once, wrote it down and promptly lost the note!

the last, I think, is how far ahead it illuminates.

If that's the case, I can 'guess' the other two may relate to 'beam spread'. Man, this takes me back over 25 years, to when I got my first Lamp Inspector/Adjuster liscence!

The 'arc' could be the R/L spread of the beam, as it fades with distance, SrcRange could be related to that as well, but related to attenuating light (correct term? this isn't a laser...) fading on the outer edges.

But I"m guessing on those.

Wrench

kevin stein

NightLightOn is based on SunLightLevel found in Enviro, is a real number in the interval [ 0 , 1 ], and controls airfield lights in addition to cockpit lighting. Actually, setting it higher than 1 can produce interesting results if I recall.

LightSrcRange=150

LightRange=45.0

Light source offset is the position of illuminating source relative to effect position

Light range controls how far the illumination extends into space to shine on objects and terrain. Experiment to taste.

Light source range...mmm ... I don't know that one. mmm MMMMMM

Yeah Wrench, that 45.0 in Cargo's example makes me think LightRange is an angle for LIGHTS. But for bright effects that I use, it controls illumination power over distance. I have yet to mess with directional lighting.

Edited by Lexx_Luthor

b]Light source range[/b]...mmm ... I don't know that one. mmm MMMMMM

This operates in conjunction with the offset if you wish to place a "light" in a confined area. Whereas, on airfields brightness is controlled by the size and is not a concern, in a limited area you can designate brightness=very minut'e.

The LSR will compensate.

Ah, that is interesting. Like inside a hanger? Thanks!!

Re-reading this thread, we totally forgot to answer the original question:

Yes, you turn the light on and off with control/L. It's built into the game.

age is showing.... :grandpa:

Wrench

kevin stein