Sign in to follow this  
USAFCOP

New Air Force Uniform

Has anybody seen the new USAF uniform being proposed?

It's unbelieveable. In my career field we sometimes have to blend in with the countryside. Blue is not very "low profile"

Blue-Grey is VERY profile when many of the men and woman of the USAF work around a cement/concrete/asphalt runways and such... I think they are too dark though. Personally I don't like the uniform at all. However, I'm hearing that the men and woman of the USAF are welcoming the change.

Fates

Well it seems that it would help in the urban-type setting of most AF bases, but alot of them are near forests or fields, and that cammo would be detrimental in those settings.

Guest Ranger332

yeppers

think its more of a moral (spelling) thing as no other service will have those B.D.U.'s

Blue-Grey is VERY profile when many of the men and woman of the USAF work around a cement/concrete/asphalt runways and such...  I think they are too dark though. Personally I don't like the uniform at all.  However, I'm hearing that the men and woman of the USAF are welcoming the change.

Fates

Sorry, but the blue/grey does not blend in with the flight line. Our buildings are tan/brown, the concrete is a tan color, asphalt is black/grey. How about in Korea where they sure as hell have a definate threat and is in a green environment. What then? How about the Desert? Will we continue to be issued the standard DCU?

If we had to defend a base, we wouldnt do it from the flightline. We would move to prepared positions in the treelines or under other concealment.

I teach Combat Survival, and this uniform will not blend into the the forest regions we operate in. I like the pattern, but the color is way wrong!

The AF is searching for something they can call their own. To establish some history. Unfortunetly they are looking in the wrong place with this uniform.

As for people liking it. I dont know where you are getting this from, but here at Ramstein, where it will be put through it's testing, it's not being welcomed! Maybe the younger crowd, but the people with experience are saying no thanks.

Storm

P.S. I'm going to request that I test it here, to show them that it will not work in this environment, during my CST courses.

The current color pattern isn't set in stone. The utility of the uniform is what's being tested. It's the everyday use of the uniform that is the biggest concern.

the AF is searching for something they can call their own. To establish some history. Unfortunetly they are looking in the wrong place with this uniform.

Storm

P.S. I'm going to request that I test it here, to show them that it will not work in this environment, during my CST courses.

in other words they want to be the 3rd service with a distinctive uniform..in a time of low budgets I think Sec Def would rather use the money used to develop those 3 uniforms and put it into quality of living and in retirees....nothing wrong with pride,but to forget the people is not pride.....

Gotta agree with scout, wondering how needed this uniform change really is. Everyone should use same BDU's for cryin out loud. A desert and forest version. If you need unit pride then wear a different cover. Too much money is being spent on less than vital things. How about putting that money in the VA system or something. People are dying for lack of care. Its like San Diego building a new stadium for the Padres for hundreds of millions of dollars when we already have a good one thats perfectly serviceable when there are families on the street because they cant afford the exhorbitant rent here.

We got too much money and not enough sense...

Guest Ranger332

shoot the Army went to a beret for all ppl (silly I think should be for special troops only) but maybe a different color or style headgear.

AF use to use the Derby baseball cap back in th 1970's I saw alot of the AF wearing these (they used meny diff colors to denote job or unit) and they stuck out we all knew they were AF even at a distance

and even today in th Army our "Riggers" (the ppl that pack our chutes) have RED baseball caps and wear them with pride.

g6700203a.jpg

If you need unit pride then wear a different cover. Too much money is being spent on less than vital things. How about putting that money in the VA system or something.  

We got too much money and not enough sense...

I think if the af wants pride and tradition they could go back to wearing the shoulder patches,like the 8th af or 5th af patches we see in old pictures and videos..that ought bring pride and history...as a aside,way I look at it,if your unit needs a uniform to instill pride,you too much in the hole by then...

Storm:

Couldn't agree with you more. As I stated, I think they are WAY to dark, thus not blending in well. I should have rephrased my statement originally to say NOT VERY.

I don't like the uniform, and personally I can understand why you and others don't as well. As far as the "THEY ARE WELCOMING THE CHANGE", well that came from the af.mil sight...so probably just propaganda.

Fates

Personally I dont see what a computer weenie in the USAF needs with BDUs in the first place, but even when talking about ground crews, etc how about some decent looking coveralls. Something practical instead of always trying to make a fashion statement. Sorry, but I have to pick on the Air Force guys after all the flack we catch in the Navy from those Bell Bottoms,LOL :lol:

(thank gawd for flight suits)

Quit building Stealth bombers, and the AF can have whatever uni they want.

McNamara was a worthless war conducter but atleast he knew how to save money on the little things... (the M-16).

As for the Bellbottoms, my dad had a pair of custom made ones (for dress), they were skin tight until just below the knee, and then they flared out to like 4 feet; He looked like f*ckin Elvis.... ah the 70's, that fashion is coming back you know. :wink: