-Increased standoff

-Enhanced lethality

-Enhanced propulsion and agility

-F-35, F/A-22, UCAV, and legacy

A/C

Source:http://www.dtic.mil/ndia/2004guns/wed/selfpropelled.ppt

Devlopment:

Boeing Wins Next Phase of U.S. Air Force Missile Technology Program

ST. LOUIS, May 31, 2007 -- Boeing [NYSE: BA] has been awarded a $4.2 million U.S. Air Force contract for the next phase of the Dual Role Air Dominance Missile -- Technology (DRADM-T) program, one of several efforts to develop technologies for the Joint Dual Role Air Dominance Missile (JDRADM).

JDRADM is the first next-generation advanced missile intended to conduct both air-to-air and air-to-ground missions in a single weapon.

DRADM-T focuses on the missile's propulsion and control systems. Boeing was selected following a competitive six-month Phase 1 study effort. Phase 2 will refine the technologies and configuration, leading to laboratory and ground testing. Boeing's Advanced Weapons and Missile Systems unit, part of Boeing Advanced Systems, will perform the work in St. Charles, Mo. The contract runs for 32 months.

Keith Smith, Boeing program manager for JDRADM, said, "The selection of Boeing for Phase 2 of the DRADM-T program demonstrates our customer's confidence in Boeing to develop the key technologies that will make the future JDRADM weapon a reality."

In 2006, Boeing competed for and won the warhead technology thrust program -- Multi-Role Responsive Ordnance Kill Mechanism -- of the JDRADM weapon. Boeing is currently executing the program's Phase 2 design and development efforts.

:ninja:

I'm very skeptical of this. Generally, you want an AAM to have a small warhead so it can be fast and agile, while you want a larger warhead for an AGM and it's slower, bulky, and can't turn well. Against an air target a 50lb warhead or less is great. Against a ground target, you really want 100lb or more.

Unless they'll build them in 2 versions with different warhead sizes, I can't see how one missile will do both jobs.

Thats interesting. I have to ask though, what the hell is up with all the "Joint" stuff from the US military recently?

Unless they'll build them in 2 versions with different warhead sizes, I can't see how one missile will do both jobs.

You're probably right, multiple versions sounds far more reasonable. (link)

Edited by Longestpants

Pull the AIM-54's outta storage: 132LB warhead, fast missile with long range and a long-burning motor. Could see that with a new targeting suite for A/A, A/G. Drawback is that it weighs a half a ton.

I'm very skeptical of this. Generally, you want an AAM to have a small warhead so it can be fast and agile, while you want a larger warhead for an AGM and it's slower, bulky, and can't turn well. Against an air target a 50lb warhead or less is great. Against a ground target, you really want 100lb or more.

Remember it is not always the size of the warhead to destroy a target. Just look at the size of a Hellfire! Three Main Types of a

AG missile or AT missile: Speed, Type of Warhead ( not the size or weight of it ) , and Guidance.

:rofl:

Sure is!

Plus it sounds cool. By description I'm a "Joint Forward Observer", but that means I can work with Marine ANGLICO or USAF JTAC teams, i.e. I know what they can do, and they know what I can do. And it's a cool snazzy word that means after all these years of each service doing what they want, they actually work together.

But back on topic, I bet Raytheon doesn't like the deal. And another thing... well yeah if AESA works out then it could be done, but seriously, you need AAMs and you need AGMs. Missiles can in some instances be multi-role, but seriously, if you are in a target rich environment, and go Winchester, and you gotta make it home, and you're deep in enemy territory...

Granted you can sometimes get by with a smaller warhead for a ground target, but you don't need multi-stage shaped warheads for an airplane like you do armor. There MUST be multiple warheads, and the guidance system has to be different, fuzing is different (air have prox fuzes, but ground you want impact)...in short, this is the missile equivalent of making the USAF and the USN both use the F-111. Hopefully it will fare better.

Not only that, but you would probably AFAIK need AESA to target the ground targets as well. Warhead? You can get by with an EFP (Explosively Formed Penetrator) warhead, where it adapts itself to the target type (aircraft, tank, bicycle) in the terminal phase. Alliant Techsystems has alot of experience with that so more than likely they'll be part of the contract down the road. Least I'd use them....

don't the Soviets (sorry, Russians) have a general purpose missile? I know that they have the K-13, which can be equipped with radar or IR seeker.

A universal missile design would be a good idea, but it'd have to be modular.

Edited by Rambler 1-1

They've made "universal" AAMs for a long time now, yes. IR or SARH (or even ARH), but never for AGM applications.

it sounds like the stuff coming out from ace combat series.

how about a popeye-like guidance for A2G and an AHM for A2A?

it could work with an aiming system mounted in the helmet.

with some work.

btw i like ace combat. really much.

Edited by the test pilot

Thats interesting. I have to ask though, what the hell is up with all the "Joint" stuff from the US military recently?

Joint arena is where the games are played. No force even comes close to solo activity, but perhaps sometimes the Navy. USAF has always been about supporting the Army and the Marines have found out how sweet it is to call the Air Force in to move the mud around when their own CAS is not enough. Some good guidance has come from the civilian side of the DoD that has enhanced joint activities. Perhaps, the best example in leading the joint activities are the exemplary efforts of the Special Operations team out of Fort Bragg, NC.