Sign in to follow this  
DoctorQuest

Canopy darkness - Can it be in the LOD file?

Ok.

I realize this is somewhat of a dead horse but I still can't figure out how to reduce the "darkness" of some of the canopy glass renderings.

I saw the bit about the trick of "moving" the glass out of the way but I was looking for a simpler alternative.

The REAL gist of my question is: "Can the color of the canopy be controlled in the 3D definition of the cockpit (I.E. the cockpit LOD file)?" Which, in effect, makes in difficult to change.

I have a couple of planes where I have mucked and mucked with the canopy TGA files to no avail. I have disabled the "reflection" TGAs. (Which DOES remove the reflections but does not affect the "tinting" of the glass.

Anyway, if I just knew that the "tint" can be controlled by the LOD file I will at least know what the basic issue is.

Thanks!!

Transparency is defined in the MAX file, but all it does is make it so it can be transparent. In other words, it does not matter in MAX if I define something as 1 percent or 99 percent transparent...the transparency of the TGA file is the ONLY thing that defines how transparent the object is.

Having said that, I've noticed that canopies that are double sided (ie have 'thickness') will always be darker than 2 dimensional (single sided) canopies.

I have disabled the "reflection" TGAs. (Which DOES remove the reflections but does not affect the "tinting" of the glass.

How did you do this? Because I wonder if you did this, if the engine falls back on the standard CANOPYGLASS.TGA file...which is quite dark.

FastCargo

I would sure love a solution to this dark canopy problem. I can't fly the A-6 in WOV because of it. I don't know if this helps, but the A-6 was fine before the patch.

How did you do this? Because I wonder if you did this, if the engine falls back on the standard CANOPYGLASS.TGA file...which is quite dark.

FastCargo

I used Paint Shop Pro to set the dimensions of the TGA file to 1x1. Seems to work fine. I understand the reflections add some realism but I find them a little annoying myself. Seems to have absolutely no effect on the "tint" one way or the other.

I would sure love a solution to this dark canopy problem. I can't fly the A-6 in WOV because of it. I don't know if this helps, but the A-6 was fine before the patch.

Me, too. I usually resort to turning off the cockpit via numpad '.'.

I used Paint Shop Pro to set the dimensions of the TGA file to 1x1. Seems to work fine. I understand the reflections add some realism but I find them a little annoying myself. Seems to have absolutely no effect on the "tint" one way or the other.

The dimensions of the TGA have ZERO to do with the tint.

It has to do with the transparency of the TGA usually stored as the alpha channel.

FastCargo

Ok. I'm new at this.......

I'll see what I can do.

What I don't quite understand yet..... Is there a separate canopyglass.tga for each aircraft?

Edited by kirbykern

Ok. I'm new at this.......

I'll see what I can do.

What I don't quite understand yet..... Is there a separate canopyglass.tga for each aircraft?

Depends if the modeler made one, but usually that is what the canopy glass is, a TGA. Which take a couple secs to adjust its transparency.