Sign in to follow this  
Tantobot

IR Bombs?

I was surfing Wikipedia and I came across the Mitisubishi F-1 and under its weapons listing it indicated that the Japanese have the ability to mount IR guidence packages to the MK-82/84 and M117 Bombs to make them guided, has anyone in the real world business of flying military jets for a living ever come across of seen picture of this or is this an error on the part of wikipedia?

Thanks

Yep, it's a new concept for NVGs, so when you drop or fire an IR Illumination round, there will be a slight glow, but makes NVG use much better...

No it is not. It's so that they can claim they're "anti-landing craft" defensive weapons and not offensive ones as LGB's would be.

Ahh duh.. a bit too early in the morning...

No it is not. It's so that they can claim they're "anti-landing craft" defensive weapons and not offensive ones as LGB's would be.

I'm a bit lost on the logic there :blink: , surely the defensiveness or offensiveness of a weapon is on how you use it, do they have defensive bullets for their guns?, after all aren't Nuke's some sort of deffensive weapon on the basis of Mutually Assured Destruction.

Oh the JSDF, I find it rather intersting that they have IR guided bombs, why not just go with Laser Guided Muntions or is that to get around the "offensive" weapons catagory?

Have you ever seen an LGB or say a Mav on a Mitsubishi F-2 or F-1?

Didn't the Israelis make an IR bomb years back and it has been used on the AMX?

I'm a bit lost on the logic there :blink: , surely the defensiveness or offensiveness of a weapon is on how you use it, do they have defensive bullets for their guns?, after all aren't Nuke's some sort of deffensive weapon on the basis of Mutually Assured Destruction.

Greetings and salutations all,

Being a nuget within this fourm, might I inject my "two cents" into this conversation? {Well. . . I shall in any case. :wink: }

Reguardless of their R&D design specs as being offencive or defencive in nature, the object of "the end game", for parties envolved, remains the same. Kill the enemy and destroy their adjunct means of engageing in battle tacticaly. Stratigicaly, destroying the "offending" country's(ies') means to produce these same, as well as, destroying the civilian / political occupant's "will" to so continue.

Therefore, it is not only when or where any form or type wepon, or non-wepon for that matter, is to be used but, how and why it is as well. Combined, these ALL determin their true nature of being during conflicts, out right armed or otherwise.

As for M.A.D., those nuclear wepons WERE used, still ARE being used effectively by the U.S. and others, as an active/passive pychcological wepon of nuclear attack deterance, making them defencive in nature. However, when actually launched, by all parties involved, at an enemy and utilized, they will become offencive wepons as well, not only by the very large distructive radius powers of blast and heat but, the lingering and the spreading of both lethal and non-lethal but, gene and cellular level mutating long half life radioactive fallout, by the winds, affecting ALL living occupants of the targeted country(ies) AND on this planet as a whole!

M.A.D.!? Yes, indeed! In more ways than one but, the threat of it is still working, thank God. :clapping: But, I wonder yet, when and who will eventually "call the bluff"? :shok:

Laters peoples,

Rick "WHOSIT" W.

IR guided Bomb = Maverick with no rocket engine and bigger warhead. :grin:

I suppose if there's issues with getting close enough to use a laser to guide the weapon in, or you're concerned about losing lock due to smoke or having to evade, it's a great fire-and-forget weapon.

IR guided Bomb = Maverick with no rocket engine and bigger warhead. :grin:

I suppose if there's issues with getting close enough to use a laser to guide the weapon in, or you're concerned about losing lock due to smoke or having to evade, it's a great fire-and-forget weapon.

Not to hijack this thread...but my maverics are screwed :dntknw:

When I fire them, its approx 2 seconds till they actually launch. Even after that, they are VERY innacurate (i.e. 1 out of 6 hits). They USED to be super darts, that launched when i told em to, and hit almost everything, but something changed and they are not like they used to be. What is even more confusing is that the weapon file, when edited with the Weapon Editor (surprise) says that there is no launch delay, and the accuracy is like 80. any ideas?

yeah

the israeli OPHER kit is similar to the paveway II kit, but IR guided and F&F

the AMI used OPHER/Mk82 in Allied Force and bosnia campaign in '95 aboard theirs alenia/embraer AMX

the israelis claimed that the IR guidance work on tanks and weeled vehicles...

surely the OPHER is a effective and more cheaper than missiles