Sign in to follow this  
JonathanRL

Wings over Åland - Official Thread

"God Morgon, det här är Aktuellt med de senaste nyheterna. Efter Sovjetunionens krav att bygga en flottbas på Åland för deras bruk har Sveriges regering beslutat att bryta det avtal som i händelse av krig garanterar Ålands neutralitet. I ett uttalande idag säger CH Hermansson, Ordförande för Sveriges Kommunistiska parti att handlingen är diskutabel och bryter mot..."

He shut off the TV and turned around to face the person who entered the room.

"Well?"

"Sir, We now have three squadrons stationed upon the Island. Tanks from 4th Batallion are also en route with fleet transports."

"Thats all we can muster?"

"For now. The rest will not reach Åland in time to engage the first wave."

"Was there any problems with F18?"

"No sir. We found a suitable location."

"Dismissed, soldier."

The adjutant saluted and left the room. The General picked up the phone.

"What about Finland " he asked bluntly.

"Wildcard. But Ill think they are with us on this one."

"Think?"

"Nothing official yet. They are spooked."

"And Nato?"

"They wont risk Nucelar War over this, sir. We are on our own."

1965. Soviet demands that Åland will be surrendered to the Soviet Union in order to build a base for the Baltic Fleet. Sweden and Finland.

Sweden and Finland, Hopelessly outnumbered will have to try and hold back the tide...

ORDER OF BATTLE; FIRST BATTLE OF ÅLAND: 1965.

Sweden - Flyable Squadrons

F14 "Jägarna" - Flying J34 Hunters. Home Base: Mariehamn Airfield

F18 "Huvudstadsjakten" - Flying J35 Drakens. Home Base: Local strip of road, Western Åland.

F10 "Änglavakten" - Flying J29 Tunnans .Home Base: Mariehamn Airfield

Finland - AI Squadrons:

(Undecided) - Flying MiG-21.

Russians has 12 squadrons. Half Bombers, Half Figthers.

Screenshots coming soon.

Neat! What terrain are you using? :clapping:

I am currently raping a Falklands Terrain. They look basicly the same and the Falklands once has the added benefit of "Water airfield" - i.g the Russians dont have any Åland airfield yet. This is primary for Beta testing tough.

The mod is almost finished, its just the campaign bugs I need to sort out and most of them is about the Terrain.

I also started trying to custom make a terrain myself, but that goes slow.

Edited by tigertompa

Some Screenshots:

J34s from F8 Svea Flygflottilj engaged in Battle and a J29 Tunnan starting from Kumlinge Airstrip.

Will start to work on a campaign where the Viggen might make an entry once I squashed all the bugs.

Edited by tigertompa

Interisting, hope you can make the Soviet Union flyable

I can make them flyable, but it would not be that fun really.

Why I do not intend to make them flyable is this:

1: I choose Falklands Terrain because it and Åland looks pretty much the same. However, Soviet uses "Water Airfields" and does not have any proper Airstrips.

2: Soviet Forces outnumber the Swedes. It would be a little too easy campaign (as opposite to flying for Sweden who is fairly hard).

3: I have not even made Finland flyable because I want this mod to focus upon the Swedish Figthers. They will however appear as AI Aircraft with Gnats and MiG-21s (and if 2010 campaign is added, F-18 Hornets).

However, I had an idea to add a Carrier into the entire mess for a campaign at a later date, and if I include that, I will make sure Soviet side is flyable with MiG-27Ks and Yak-141s, mostly because it would be more balanced with one CAG against Ålands Air Defence.

Edited by tigertompa

hmm just for realism, you should then use a Su-33, since the MiG-27K doesn't exist ;)

You learn something new everyday. :ok:

Then perhaps I skip the Carrier part alltogether.

Nothing has really been progressed futher due to RL but I will resume working at my earliest convenience.

You learn something new everyday. :ok:

Then perhaps I skip the Carrier part alltogether.

Nothing has really been progressed futher due to RL but I will resume working at my earliest convenience.

DON'T SKIP THE CARRIER!!!!!

:no:

Not exactly a big deal in a fictional campaign that you use an aircraft that was and is real, just never in production and fielded to Russia. Could use it in a future Indian campaign.....

looks cool.

:good:

Not exactly a big deal in a fictional campaign that you use an aircraft that was and is real, just never in production and fielded to Russia. Could use it in a future Indian campaign.....

well actually there IS a MiG-27K but it neither is nor was intended to operated from a CV

;)

there was a Version of the MiG-23ML pojected for the use on carriers, which was designated MiG-23A but never went into testing afaik ;)

The Russian Naval Airforce uses: MIG-29K (2 in service) Su-33/Su-27K (24 build, one or two have crashed) Su-25UTG (naval Trainer attack version was proposed)

the Su-25 would be my choice for a carrier based attack aircraft ;)

otherwise you could choose the MiG-23A (there is a CV-Based Flogger in the D/L section calld "MiG-23MK") and the YAK-141 Freestyle (which is quite cool btw :-D)