Like many of us, I like high resolution textures. There is always some performance hit with them. But they make a huge difference, and are worth it IMO.

I decided to see if I could get some decent effects by simply enlarging the tiles, and putting them through a texture filter. Basically using the color information on these larger, blurry tiles to generate sort of a elevation map. Its not perfect for sure, but it does add detail. And these tiles can be created very quickly. I did about half of the terrain tiles in 30 minutes.

Here is a shot show new beside old.

filtered.jpg

To me, it looks better. I would like to make them look alittle more different though. For one thing, make the sand have the ripples, or waves in it as seen in the real world.

But the fact that the tiles get rotated makes this imposable to get to look right.

Anyway, what to you guys think. I plan to finish it out of course, but some of the other tiles will have to be done a little different. So they will take longer. The farm tiles turn out looking funny when put through this.

filtered2.jpg

Looks good. Worth the effort to make this happen it seems to me. :biggrin:

Very interesting, keep it up :good:

Edited by Brain32

Nice idea, go with it!