Sign in to follow this  
oded

Air to air combat questions (mostly...)

on my third mission in WOI's first campaign (6th day war) I was sent on a "fighter sweep" mission.

By the time I got to the contact waypoint I already received a "mission accomplished" messege over the radio. How can it be ? not a single rocket was fired...

few more questions

- what is the effective range of the cannons during air to air combat ?

- what are Matra R.530 used for ?

- is it crucial to deploy the external fuel tank before any bomb run/rocket-targeting/air-to-air combat ?

- is there a difference between ending a mission right after its goal is accomplished (pressing the esc button), or landing back at home base ?

- what's your best method (button used) to check your six ?

Thanks, Oded.

on my third mission in WOI's first campaign (6th day war) I was sent on a "fighter sweep" mission.

By the time I got to the contact waypoint I already received a "mission accomplished" messege over the radio. How can it be ? not a single rocket was fired...

You're not alone out there, thus it can be that another flight engaged and destroyed the enemy aircrafts designated as primary target. Same thing can happen during close air support or strike missions...

Btw, I would recommend that you just play the game for awhile, because doing so will answer most of the questions you have posted here. :wink:

Edited by Gocad

what are Matra R.530 used for ?

It is a semi active homing air to air missile. And not a very good one at that.

Perhaps your targets were already destroyed? I've had times where the Su-7s in WOI or the MiG-23s or MiG-27s in WOE crashed into the ground.

I've got some fighters in a Mirage III at about .4 of a mile with guns. The R.530 is a Semi Active Radar Guided Missile. I believe the first to come from France. It is crap, so I don't use it. While I leave my drop tanks on in air to round combat, if you get rid of them you can turn better, and are faster. There isn't any major differences I have noticed, but in a Close Air Support Mission, I like to get rid of ALL enemy tanks before I leave just to make sure the grunts took the objective with out a platoon of T-62s still there. To check your six you can use the mirrors (activated at the settings page in the menu) or using F6 and looking around.

Edited by JA 37 Viggen

Ive tried curtain of shells at 0.8nm; that is where you fire ahead of the target(nose up) and seen pieces come away from the fella. of course I used in excess of 500 rounds to test my theory.

Theres a major difference without tanks.Try a hard turn with the tanks .While in the turn jettison tanks; your nose will leap up noticeably. I definitely feel the difference. Usually i stick with the tanks for the extra legs, but when uve have ms sue flanker curious to know what uve got in ur pants it wouldnt be such a bad idea to drop em(the tanks)

Edited by Stick

Bad programming perhaps? Or like some1 said, some other fighter took your targets.

- what is the effective range of the cannons during air to air combat ?

I think it´s .8NM. I ´ve reached fighters at my 12 from .5NM, but flying leveled, and after several "tracking short bursts".

- what are Matra R.530 used for ?

I didn´t knew these missiles, until I red some of the good answers of this thread. Thanks!! ^^

- is it crucial to deploy the external fuel tank before any bomb run/rocket-targeting/air-to-air combat ?

I keep my tanks when I strike ground targets, but after completing that part, I release the tanks, so that the real fun beggins. ;)

- is there a difference between ending a mission right after its goal is accomplished (pressing the esc button), or landing back at home base ?

Nopes, no difference at all. But I like to land my fighters almost allways. :P

- what's your best method (button used) to check your six ?

Thanks, Oded.

I configured my joystick in order to select quikly the next visible targets. This is pretty usefull when you hear the warning: "You got a Bandit on your six!!". My method consist then in discarding the targets at my 10-11-12-1 or 2 o`clock, and right after the selection, padlocking the ones that appear in my six, making a fast turn at the same time, and following them almost always padlocked, keeping my sight on the ground, and over the selected target. Of course that method is a license of the game, cause in real flight you don´t have that kind of help in finding your enemies, that´s why I like to use the mirrors as well, or the pad num of my keyboard.

Good hunting,

MF.

There is an edit that will put the camera above the centre of the fuselage, looking behind. This is probably what you want!

Then just press the shoulderview and you're looking behind - check6. This view can be rotated 360 horizontal and also has some up&down movement.

I map it to a button near my pov hat so it's quick'n'easy - press shoulderview again and you're checkin'6 on next a/c.

If you want to try, just paste these 3 paragraphs over the originals in the viewlist ini :

[ViewClass006]

ViewClassName=ShoulderViewClass

ViewType=FIXED_VIEW

ViewGroupID=0

DefaultView=COCKPITFRONT

AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE

SnapView=FALSE

InsideView=FALSE

FocusObjectOnly=FALSE

FOV=70.0

PitchControl=CAMERA_PITCH_AXIS

YawControl=CAMERA_YAW_AXIS

RollControl=

ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

JumpToViewSameGroup=TRUE

JumpToViewDiffGroup=TRUE

SmoothAngleTransition=TRUE

SmoothPositionTransition=FALSE

SmoothFOVTransition=TRUE

ZoomFOV=TRUE

ZoomScale=0.02

PanScale=0.00140

MinSpeed=100.0

MaxSpeed=100.0

Acceleration=10.0

AngleRates=360.0,240.0,240.0

FOVRate=60.0

MinFOV=55.0

MaxFOV=85.0

ResetAngles=False

ResetTime=1.0

ResetRate=0.3

TrackIRUseAbsolutePos=TRUE

[ViewClass013]

ViewClassName=TowerViewClass

ViewType=TOWER_VIEW

ViewGroupID=0

DefaultView=FreeView

AllowFromDiffGroup=TRUE

SnapView=FALSE

InsideView=FALSE

FocusObjectOnly=FALSE

FOV=15.0

ObjectDistance=1000.0

PitchControl=

YawControl=

RollControl=

ZoomControl=CAMERA_ZOOM_CONTROL

JumpToViewSameGroup=TRUE

JumpToViewDiffGroup=TRUE

SmoothFOVTransition=TRUE

RememberAngle=FALSE

RememberPosition=FALSE

RememberFOV=FALSE

LimitPitch=FALSE

LimitYaw=FALSE

LimitRoll=FALSE

ZoomFOV=TRUE

StepZoom=FALSE

ZoomScale=0.01

FOVRate=60.0

MinObjectDistance=10.0

MaxObjectDistance=2000.0

OffsetDistance=0.0

MinFOV=5.0

MaxFOV=60.0

ResetTime=2.5

[View017]

ViewName=ShoulderView

ViewClassName=ShoulderViewClass

UpdateAlways=FALSE

ViewGotoControl=GOTO_VIEW_SHOULDER

CycleNextControl=GOTO_VIEW_OBJECT_NEXT

CyclePrevControl=GOTO_VIEW_OBJECT_PREV

ObjectFrom=SearchAircraft

PositionOffsets=0.0,0.0,3.3

AngleOffsets=180.0,10.0,0.0

For more understanding here's the link I got this edit from :

http://www.simhq.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?...207&fpart=1

This thread solved all my life's problems :yes: thanks a lot.

I also added the "check 6" view as suggested by "csb" and it works fantastic.

very helpful forum.

Oded.

Glad to here it, oded.

I suggest that you save a copy of the edited viewlist for future use.

Hartmann, unquestionably a legend, said for a proper guns kill you need your target to fill up your windscreen...works every time...he means get close...no, closer...if you can count rivets, burp the gun.