Sign in to follow this  
Basher11

Project-1 Truly impressive

I bought all three of them - Project 1, WoV and WoE. Very impressive. Just now I have installed Project 1 without applying patches.(Where can I find patches for Project 1?)  Despite it is a product of 6 years old (released 2002), the graphics is ingenious, way better than any other hard core simulations I have ever seen except the IL-2 series. Fantastic! I can fly the F-104 StarFighter. I read from somewhere that this aircraft had once been equipped with air-2-air nuclear missiles. It was ridden by George Bush Jnr. when he was in service with USAF I take it.

Despite it is classified as a soft-core military flight simulation, its panel and pit designs is not sketchy at all. The ground radar is looks like real:

GroundRadar.JPG

I have my video card settings max'd out. And in=game, I have the graphics details max'd out as well. This is what I have come up with. (N.B. I have saved both images as .JPG resolution was taken from 1600x1200x32). Check carefully, the graphics model is so fine that almost every part of the model is nearly perfectly curvy. The tank gallon looks almost completely spherical:

photorealistic_graphics_model.JPG

Can anyone give me pointers where I can locate the history of this flight simulation, it looks very impressive to me. I am so glad to have it in my possession.

Edited by Basher11

Hi Basher11 :yes:

Welcome to SFP1 series world :biggrin:

Yes, SFP1 is relatively old game. Do not play it without patches and service packs.

You can download patches from Download section here on CA:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...s&showcat=2

This is central download section for add ons to SFP1 games.

Another important site for you will be thirdwire.com with its download section:

http://thirdwire.com/downloads_fe.htm

Choose patches and service packs according game you want update.

Patches and service packs on thirdwire.com and here on CA are the same.

Happy hunting :yes:

PS: there is another "Wings over..." - Wings over Israel, and WW1 simulation First eagles with its expansion pack (check thirdwire.com)

Edited by kukulino

Many thanks for your pointers. I am returning from CA section just now. There are so many patches for SFP1 I don't know which one should I apply. Fortunately enough, you have pointed me to thirdwire where the patch selection menu presented m with only 2 patches. I guess the first big one should be the SP4 patch equivalent in CA. 74.3MB should be the right one I am after.

I bought all of them lest missing something I will regret later. Besides, I believe some aircrafts with corresponding cockpits and flight models might not be there in WoV and WoE.

So what are the differences between SFP1, WoV and WoE.  Are the graphic engines the same for all 3 of them?  What about AI and online gameplay? Where do I connect to online players?  Years ago, I played EA's USAF online and it was great fun and great graphics.

Anyway, it is a whole new world here.

Just a quick one: are there any folders which SFP1 contains screenshots when I hit the PrtScrn key on my keyboard?  I searched the directory structure of the installation trying to locate a folder like screenshot but in vain. If the default installation does not support a screenshot folder, can I change the .ini files to cater for a printscreen action?

Edited by Basher11

Did you buy them from TW online store? Downloadable installers seem to be already patched to the latest version. Actually applying the unnecessary service pack and patch to WoV made it crash.

Engines are the same 'cause older games get updates when new ones are released. SFP1, WoV, WoE will be updated to WoI engine later on...

Screenshot folder is created if you press PrintScreen in flight.

SFP1/WOV/WOE/WOI Comparison:

http://www.column5.us/sfchart.htm

You asked this in your previous topic: "Also, is MiG-21 a flyable aircraft in the game and does it haveits own cockpit?"

We have really great Mig-21F/PF/PFV/PFM/MF/UM (great UM is modelled by Amokfloo, Paladrians pit is included in UM pack. Get it here: LINK!!! ) cockpits modelled by Paladrian. Plus, you can install another mods to your games such tree mods, SAM mods, enviroment mods, third party planes, ships, etc.

Here is link to Knowledge base about addons, which can make you game better:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=24685

And here is link how install cockpits to Mig-21s manually (you can see there why manually):

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showtopic=23947&hl

Use Knowledge base. There are very usefull informations:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showforum=99

And use search engine too.

Edited by kukulino

Events took over in the last 15 minutes. I patched it to sp051506 which I believe is the latest version dated 2006. I really love SFP1. For years, even Falcon 4 never gave me this - FLOATING/DYNAMIC COCKPIT/AIRFRAME while I am cruising. This is so realistic. Perhaps only 1 flight simulation I know of simulated this properties - Joint Strike Fighters by Eidos. It is not a commonly known flight simulation though.  Oh this is so great!

But can anyone help me with this graphics glitches, when it occured, it flickered like a bad TV reception.  Yet it occured only at certain pan angles. When I pan to some other angles, it disappeared. God, I realy love this game! I like the eye-candy, I like the flight model, I like the variety of aircrafts and there are so many addons I have not explored yet. Please help me to fix this problem so that I can enjoy the flight!

My video card is Raedon X1950Pro 512MB RAM (AGP version) and the Catalyst driver is..(how do I get the catalyst driver version?) Your help will be greatly appreciated!

P.S. Thanks GR.Viper and kukulino!! The screenshots folder comes with the latest patch. The vanilla version of the game doesn't support one. And know what, after patching I can ALT-TAB to switch between Windows and the game. Good stuff!

img00004(glitches).JPG

Edited by Basher11

Wait wait wait!  I have got Riva Tuner.  It reports my Catalyst driver is 7.1.  Anyone up here know which driver will remove this anomalies?

Wait wait wait!  I have got Riva Tuner.  It reports my Catalyst driver is 7.1.  Anyone up here know which driver will remove this anomalies?

I'm currently using the Omega drivers, version 3.8.442, and they do not cause the "shadow" anomalies that you're experiencing. I also set my anti aliasing and anisotropic filtering manually (as opposed to application controlled).

Here are my settings in the ATI control panel:

gallery_279_43_12348.jpg

Fubar512:

Many thanks for your pointer. I check my ATi D3D settings, they are same as yours. Everything just max'd out. But did you say "shadow anomalies"? So I went into the Options>Graphics Details Level>Shadow. Previously it was on and I sort of betting on my luck, changed it to off to see if it did any better. It did indeed! The anomalies were gone.

What exactly does that setting do?

Actually, I did a reinstallation and ran the game out from the vanilla version. There were aboslutely no such problem. But there were many many other problems like the autopilot did silly thing, it would transit to next waypoint, no fly-by view...etc. Then I patched it to 8.30.06. And prior to that I thought something wrong with the DirectX 9.0c so I took the advise from ThirdWire, install DirectX 9.0c Aug 2008 version. Now the framerate is not as good as before DirectX change! :blink: A bit laggy with all the settings the same as before.

Would Omega fix the "shadow" problem? If so, do I have to uninstall Catalyst first?

Should I revert back to the previous DirectX version to redeem the smooth framerate I had before?

And what eye-candy I am losing without have the shadow setting turned on?

Fubar512:

Many thanks for your pointer. I check my ATi D3D settings, they are same as yours. Everything just max'd out. But did you say "shadow anomalies"? So I went into the Options>Graphics Details Level>Shadow. Previously it was on and I sort of betting on my luck, changed it to off to see if it did any better. It did indeed! The anomalies were gone.

What exactly does that setting do?

It simply adds shadows, which are known to be a bit of a frame-rate killer in this series. There are a few workarounds, such as setting them to "aircraft only", and limiting the distance at which they're cast to just under a hundred meters (arrrrgh...more stuff to add to the KB)

Actually, I did a reinstallation and ran the game out from the vanilla version. There were absolutely no such problem. But there were many many other problems like the autopilot did silly thing, it would transit to next waypoint, no fly-by view...etc. Then I patched it to 8.30.06. And prior to that I thought something wrong with the DirectX 9.0c so I took the advise from ThirdWire, install DirectX 9.0c Aug 2008 version. Now the framerate is not as good as before DirectX change! :blink: A bit laggy with all the settings the same as before.

As you've discovered, the latest patches place greater demands on your graphics adapter, due to the inclusion of volumetric clouds, and shaders for water and ground effects. You can turn these off in the game's options menu.

Would Omega fix the "shadow" problem? If so, do I have to uninstall Catalyst first?

It did so in my case, and yes, it is always a good idea to uninstall an older gfx driver before updating to a newer one.

Should I revert back to the previous DirectX version to redeem the smooth framerate I had before?

No! as I've mentioned before, you can always tune the graphics options to your preference, and the latest patches will not run without DX9.0c.

And what eye-candy I am losing without have the shadow setting turned on?

LOL...shadows, of course...

By the way, I've somehow gotten the impression that you're a fan of the "Zipper" as well. Let me show you a few enhancements that are available here at CA (environment & cockpit).

gallery_279_43_42528.jpg

gallery_279_43_117097.jpg

So a shadow is not really an eye-candy thing is it? Well then it doesn' tmatter now.

Strange about the framerates. I have just installed WoE to see if it is the same and framerate in WoE is better than P1 with the patch applied.

Yes I like the zipper. It has an interesting history. Despite it is now a retired jet fighter, it had its own glorious history despite a shortlived one. Many thanks!