I wonder if anyone here have watched a motion picture "The 13 Days" - The cuabn missle crisis. Everytime I watch that motion picture, it aroused me and get me turned on to the A-7 Cosair. It looks ugly to me at first sight. But after some time, it looks admirably to me specially its airbrake which is part of the backbone of the airframe. Many aircrafts in that era including MiG-21, F-104, F-4..etc all had their airbrakes below the fuselage except Cosair.

Remember the Captain in that motion picture said "...nothing! Just hand signs only.", "...it was sparrows...", "..it was a cakewalk sir". Cool!

I wonder if someone will make a U-2 for WoV.

I really love A-7 realtime map MFD, is one there in the real jet? Also look at the camo, that's very cool.

img00001.JPG

img00002.JPG

Basher,

There is already a U-2 available for download:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...mp;showfile=488

Also, the recon aircraft was a F-8, not a A-7 (in the movie).

Welcome again to the TW sims world. To help you out, like others have posted, please refer to the knowledge base (KB as we like to call it). Its a gold mine of information, and will help you when you are ready to start enhancing your sims.

FastCargo

I don't mean to be blunt sorry, but I am pretty sure that's a Cosair. Check the airbrake in the movie and you will agree with me. The Crusader looks very much like the Cosair so it can easily get one confused.

I don't mean to be blunt sorry, but I am pretty sure that's a Cosair. Check the airbrake in the movie and you will agree with me. The Crusader looks very much like the Cosair so it can easily get one confused.

It was an F-8. Remember, the A-7 was not even on the drawing board during the Cuban Missile Crisis. It did not enter service until about 1967.

They even used genuine Crusaders for this film, courtesy of the Phillipine Air Force.

(That might also explain why the RF-8 had an IRST :biggrin: )

I'll get back to you later on this one. Got to watch the movie again.

I'll get back to you later on this one. Got to watch the movie again.

Trust us. :wink:

Three screen grabs:

post-22093-1206568416_thumb.jpg

post-22093-1206568456_thumb.jpg

post-22093-1206568708_thumb.jpg

Quite obivious that the RF-8A were actually redressed F-8s... :wink:

Edited by Gocad

Gentlemen,

Many thanks!  I didn't know the YouTube is now used as an education channel as well.  It provides visuals and audio rather than textual information.  It's realy a good link.

Back to the A-7 and F-8 issue, I'll get back to you.

Basher

Those are F-8's in Thirteen Days. F-8's are my favorite aircraft. I own every book on it. Those screen captures are of F-8's in 13 Days, are actually F-8P's that were sitting in an aircraft graveyard in the Phillipines. They were dressed up to look like RF-8A's.

A-7's didn't even exist then in 1962.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/A-7_Corsair_II

http://home.att.net/~jbaugher4/newa7.html

any doubt about Crusader in the movie yet?

:rofl:

Edited by Silverbolt