Sign in to follow this  
SJPhantom

Where's the Carrier?

Saw the great shot of the F4 coming in with it's hook down. I fly mainly the Airforces F4.....There's a carrier in WOV?

Where is there a carrier? :blink:

Saw the great shot of the F4 coming in with it's hook down. I fly mainly the Airforces F4.....There's a carrier in WOV?

Where is there a carrier? :blink:

It's not available in system-generated missions. You'll have to either put one together yourself, or fly someone else's scripted mission, like the one in the video below.

http://forum.combatace.com/uploads/1190950...43_42138740.wmv

Start a campaign with one of the F-4 Navy squadrons and the carrier will appear.

Try Linebacker1 with VF-96 'Fighting Falcons', then the F-4J will appear on the carrier, CVA-64 Constellation.

Make sure in the options you start from base and not in the air or near the target.

There are also some single missions already in the game that feature the carrier. There are even two for take off and landing practice with F4's. The Tonkin Gulf mission can also be used to practice with the F8. Just ignore the mission and dump your ordnance into the sea, come around and land.

The only thing I don't like is that the carriers are still programed like WW-2 straigh deck ships. They have an angled flight deck, but the arrestor hook catches a wire and tries to straighten you out so you veer off to the right. However, that is important anyway as the bit of deck that extends out off the left side of the ship is actually not deck at all, and you fall overboard right through it.

It is a shame, but you still have to land coming in from directly behind the ship.

The only thing I don't like is that the carriers are still programed like WW-2 straigh deck ships. They have an angled flight deck, but the arrestor hook catches a wire and tries to straighten you out so you veer off to the right. However, that is important anyway as the bit of deck that extends out off the left side of the ship is actually not deck at all, and you fall overboard right through it.

It is a shame, but you still have to land coming in from directly behind the ship.

I add this not as an argumentative contradiction to the above but just as a different experience. :yes:

I always land on the angled part of the carrier decks in WoV and have never fallen through--oh, sure, I've missed the wires when I thought I caught them and rolled off the end! But when I trap successfully I stop on the angled part without falling through and without any tendency to swing right.

Also, I've had bad luck going full throttle during a trap. When I used to do it I'd bring the power back once I confirmed I caught a wire. However, this would be just as the sim "let me go" from the wire and then there'd be just enough throttle left to propel me over the edge and into the drink before I could apply enough brake. So, if you find that happens to you, obviously just come back on the power at the cut and stay off it. (Who knows? Maybe I just have too slow reflexes. :dntknw: )

Oh, FYI, the above happened while flying the F-8.

Ah... I knew when I came to this place I would learn many new things. :biggrin:

I will try these knew things and see how many times I can crash into the Sea....

Ah... I knew when I came to this place I would learn many new things. :biggrin:

I will try these knew things and see how many times I can crash into the Sea....

...also, if you look in the knoweldge base, yeah, you'll see the instructions on how to add a carrier to the game. But more importantly, you can add this carrier to any SFP game (SF/WOV/WOE/WOI).

A bit of a "Necro" post, resurrecting an old thread, but I just got back into Wings over Vietnam, and had to re-buy my game as the SF-2 version due to compatibility issues with my new game PC.

I don't think the issues I brought up in my Wings over Vietnam-1 game exist in the newer 2.0 versions of the game.  I have no issues with veering off to the right when landing, or falling thru a fake deck.

The reason I say this is from my memory I believe the older games were never meant to have carriers at first, then a mod was made to add a WW-2 straight deck carrier.  That mod was then officially put into the game and a new angled deck carrier was put in for Vietnam setting.  However, the WoV game was still using the underlying code for the WW-2 carrier.  Aka it just looked like an angled deck carrier, but was really a straight deck carrier, with straight arrestor cables and no port side deck extension.

That is why I would fall thru the deck if you get too far to the left.  It wasn't really there beyond the edge of the carrier hull.

I'm much happier with the new 2.0 version of the game that I'm wondering why it took me so long to buy it until this past weekend.  I guess I was just being cheap as my last gaming PC was able to run the original games, and I saw no reason to upgrade, and definitely didn't see a reason to buy a game twice.

Hell, I even got my F-106 Delta Dart working (eventually, when I found out the mods go in your Users/User/Save game folder, and not the regular game folder.  I used to have the Delta Dart, but no weapons for it.  Now I even have that paid DLC that lets you set your own campaign aircraft, and I can fly around in my Dart in Vietnam.

In my experience, the  A-7E has a tendency to fall through the deck on the Harry S Truman, so I fly air force missions with the A-7D instead. The A-6 Intruder never falls through the deck. Can't think of any other aircraft that has ever fallen through the deck. F-35C, F-14 all land perfectly.

Further to the above, I swapped out the Harry S Truman and replaced it with the vanilla CV63. The A-7E lands perfectly every time without falling through the deck.

Landing speed of the A-7E is around 130Kts. Maybe that's too fast for the Truman to cope with.

The A-6a intruder lands at around 118 Kts, so it is slow enough to land on anything and not fall through the deck.

Further to the above, I can now confirm that the F-35c lands perfectly on the Harry S Truman at 136Kts without falling through the deck.