Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

Ever wish you could have a ruler?

While pounding my head against the desk for the upteenth time working on my various modeling projects, it struck me that there is a lot of time wasted going back and forth when positioning stuff on models...especially if you don't have access to the MAX file.

So, born out of frustration:

gallery_12105_43_445635.jpg

and a smaller one:

gallery_12105_43_183110.jpg

These 'rulers' are simply added like a pilot. The large one is 20 meters in length...each large number a meter, each small number a decimeter, and each 'tick' mark the thickness of a centimeter. It may be slightly off by about 5 millimeters due to the thickness of the 'O' tickmark.

The small one is 2 meters in length...basically scale the large one down by a decimal point.

The idea is to use the big one to get you close, then use the small one to get the exact position you need...taking screenshots to help remember what the measurement was.

If there is interest in these tools, I'll upload them here with instructions (pretty simple really).

FastCargo

Nice. I did somethng similar for terrain targets placement a while ago

Well that is just remarkable. I'm no modder but it seems like it could save you guys a lot of time and trouble.

Definitely release it, that'll be perfect for adding canards, weapons stations and other features (I'm thinking of playing with rocket boosters, Macross style fast packs etc)

ah, that is a very interesting idea

what version of 3ds max are you using? there is a measuring tool built in to v8 and v9...

there is a measuring tool built in to v8 and v9...

Which is pretty useless when you don't have source Max file :rolleyes:

Admittedly I am extremely new to 3ds and very welcome to learn techniques and ideas...please tell me how one edits anything in 3ds with out the source file...that is the part I do not understand (among other things).

Which is pretty useless when you don't have source Max file :rolleyes:

Sparky,

It isn't possible to edit anything on the aircraft without the MAX file.

This tool is mainly for use in cases where you don't have access to the original MAX file. Things like adding external bits (using 3ds max to build the new parts), weapon and decal placements, etc.

An example would be building new parts to add to a F-111A to turn it into a EF-111.

Sounds like there is enough interest to upload the tools here...I'll have it up in a few minutes.

FastCargo