Sign in to follow this  
FastCargo

ASAT for Wings Over Israel

ASAT for Wings Over Israel

Readme for ASAT for WOI (Version 1.0)

********************************* Version 1.0 Original Release ********************************

Version 1.0

Thanks to the following folks:

TK - For the ThirdWire series of sims.

Bunyap and Wpnssgt - For the original Weapons Pack.

Mustang - For the great video tutorials.

To my fellow Combatace moderators - For helping me beta test and work out bugs.

Any errors or mistakes are entirely mine.

What you will need first:

Thirdwire Weapons Editor - http://www.thirdwire.com/downloads_tools.htm

Wings Over Israel (as of 29 Mar 08) - This mod will ONLY work with WoI at this time.

Mirage Factory's F-15C MSIP - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5865

Bunyap's Range - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=2658

Wrench's Range Upgrade - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=6164

Optional to increase fidelity:

USAFMTLs F-15C Skin for the 57th FIS - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=1572

Lexx_Luthor's 3-D rocket exhaust - http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...p;showfile=5998

Notes and limitations:

The 'Tselina ELINT Satellite' is a real satellite that existed in the 1980s. It was used as a target because I was able to find decent photos of it to build off of.

The ASAT missile was test fired once (and had a successful intercept), but was never approved for production.

I have not found any way to incorperate the satellite into a campaign and have it be designated as a target in a mission.

However, if anyone that's good at building single missions wants to incorperate it into a single mission, feel free to do so.

This is FREEWARE only, NO money is allowed to be made on the contents of these files, in whole or in part.

Feel free to redistribute, as long as the original authors are given appropriate credit.

Questions? Contact me at Combatace.

FastCargo

29 Mar 08

Hello, first of all thanks for this fun addition.

And now my question: how do you find the satellite ?

I tried but i failed

Satellite could be defined as "Comm station" type in campaign, the problem is makig sure that player only is tasked to attack it and with F-15 planes

What is the reason that is woi only? I guess it is in the weapondata entry, right?

Hello, first of all thanks for this fun addition.

And now my question: how do you find the satellite ?

I tried but i failed

I need a little more detail. I am assuming the weapon loaded correctly, and you got the image on your left hand MFD of the ASATs sensor. I'm also assuming you have Wings Over Isreal and that you were flying on the Range terrain.

If so, then you need to proceed to the range, specifically where the static aircraft are at, and fly vertically (straight up) from there. Even then, you won't get a target until passing about 10000 feet.

FastCargo

Satellite could be defined as "Comm station" type in campaign, the problem is makig sure that player only is tasked to attack it and with F-15 planes

Well, for the most part, yes. There actually was a possibility that I tried that didn't work. It'll make more sense in the next part.

What is the reason that is woi only? I guess it is in the weapondata entry, right?

Actually, no. It's because between WOE and WOI, there was FE. FE added a ground object...balloons!

Couldn't make a satellite out of a plane...nothing flies at 330,000+ feet in the engine...at least, not for long.

Couldn't make a satellite as a normal ground object (with a invisible 'base')...any weapons still tried to target the 'base' of the object.

Even tried building a REALLY tall aircraft...that didn't work either...

It wasn't until WOI came along, that had parts of the FE code in it...including the balloons. Which could be built normally, and their 'floating' height was defined in the data.ini. And because the WOI/FE engine knew it was a balloon, it would target the actual object...not where it's 'tied down'.

Easy enough after that...did a small test with the original FE balloon imported into WOI. Destroyed a Drachen balloon with a SDB at 1000 feet. So then just put it at 100 km straight up...worked like a champ.

After that, it was just a matter of tweaking the missile and target 'size' to find a playable balance.

I tried adding it as a mission in campaign (FE campaigns have a BALLOON_BUSTING parameter for the aircraft and campaign data.inis) by tweaking the F-15C plus adding the appropriate lines in the campaign file. No luck...though I have to admit, it would have been funny if it had worked (you've been tasked to destroy a balloon in 1993 Europe...).

So, right now, the only way to get specifically tasked to destroy a balloon would be in single missions...and I'm not a single mission builder.

What would be curious is if the satellites would be randomly put in campaigns anyway, like a lot of ground objects are.

You wouldn't be tasked to destroy them...but they could be out there...watching...waiting...

FastCargo

Very technical as always FC. You are anothe reason why I returned to this community.

So there would be no way to have it in SFP1?

Not until they get patched to WoI standards it can't. As he mentioned, WoI has bits of coding that allows him to pull it off so when the patch gets released for SFP1/WoE/WoV you'll be able to splash all the satellites you want.

Not until they get patched to WoI standards it can't. As he mentioned, WoI has bits of coding that allows him to pull it off so when the patch gets released for SFP1/WoE/WoV you'll be able to splash all the satellites you want.

:yes: Well, I own WOI too, so I can start splashing satellites

I ve beeen doing a few experiments with it, with current SFP and so far no result. The baloon code was obviously the way to go.

Edited by Canadair

Hi ya,

I was wondering about the weapons pack used here? It wasn't mentioned in the download page.

Thanks. :clapping:

Read the readme. It answers all questions and is VERY specific in it's instructions. If you're curious as to where the files are at, have a look inside the directories in the downloaded file. I just tested it myself and re-read my own instructions to make sure it is clear.

FastCargo

Read the readme. It answers all questions and is VERY specific in it's instructions. If you're curious as to where the files are at, have a look inside the directories in the downloaded file. I just tested it myself and re-read my own instructions to make sure it is clear.

FastCargo

FastCargo...please have patience with me when I tell you that I don't see the ASAT but, only @ this address...http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...404&hl=ASAT

sorry for the misunderstanding if any.

If you are looking for the download, check the very first post in this thread. Note the statement in that post:

"Click here to download this file." Follow the instruction and click on that statement and it will take you to the download page.

FastCargo

If you are looking for the download, check the very first post in this thread. Note the statement in that post:

"Click here to download this file." Follow the instruction and click on that statement and it will take you to the download page.

FastCargo

FC, have you tried this in the Range in a patched install of WOE? I can't find the tselina at all. Everything should be correct.

Edit; tried in israel as well, no joy. What am I doing worng?

Edited by Canadair

Yep, that's where I got the screenshot comparing the new highsky colors with my ASAT with a shot of a real ASAT launch (I missed)...but the satellite was there. Heck, I didn't even alter the Range ini files for the new patch.

FastCargo

Yep, that's where I got the screenshot comparing the new highsky colors with my ASAT with a shot of a real ASAT launch (I missed)...but the satellite was there. Heck, I didn't even alter the Range ini files for the new patch.

FastCargo

Yep I tried it again the satellite is there. But the point being is that locking in the reticle look like a roulette thing. Out of 8 sorties , in the perfect spot,, on the vertical in between the 4 parked plane targets, I locked it ONCE, and if I look at satellite with reverse-view (shift f8) I can't see the model. I must be doing something wrong. Is there any way to make the satellite easier to lock? I tried taking the maxvisibledistance= on tselina's data.ini to redicoulosly high values, but nothing.