Sign in to follow this  
Basher11

I want to buy IL2-1946, a couple of questions

I watched the YouTube about some of the ingame features. They are so impressive. But i wonder all those non-propeller fighter jets, were they actually in service in that WWII era?

I think only the me-163 and the me-262 were in service on the German side during the war, American and Russian jets didnt come in until just after the war ended.The game is well worth the money you can now add planes that were not in the original game a flyable spit mk1 and b17 just to name a few.There are also many addon missions and campaigns for the game.

Is it fair to characterise all these non-propeller jet fighters were ancestors to the jet fighters like Sabre F-86 and MiG-15 in the Korea War?

The never-flown in real life Ta-183 in the game is indeed the design on which planes like the F-86, MiG-15, MD 450 Ouragan, and others were based.

Many others were "dead ends".

I watched the YouTube about some of the ingame features. They are so impressive. But i wonder all those non-propeller fighter jets, were they actually in service in that WWII era?

My humble advice: Go ahead & get IL2:1946...once you do so get it patched to version 4.08m available at the Gamer's Hell site, after that there are some cool mods available at the following forum:

www.allaircraftarcade.com/forum/index.php

Once you've got these mods, around 97% of all aircraft in the game, including heavy bombers like the B-17, B-24 & B-29 will be flyable with operable bomsights & gunner positions..

one last very important thing: before you use any of these mods it's VERY IMPORTANT to update your version of Il-2 to version 4.08m.. Or else your game will cease to function...

Hi, The Me-262, Me-163 and He-162 were used in combat definitely, I think some of Ar-234 were used as a recon plane and maybe as a quick bomber during German bombing of bridges over the Rhine at the end of WWII, the Do-335 prototype was tested but never used in combat, P-80 was used by Americans in Italy at the very end of the war but it never gone to dogfight against any Axis plane(they just never met any German or Italian plane becuase of Allied total superiority in the air), Bi-1 and La-7R were tested but never used in combat.

The other jet or rocket planes simulated in the game existed only as projects and never got in the air (Lerche, Go-229 etc.) or got in service after the WWII (MiG-9,..,)

However, i can strongly recommand this game. Buy it and fly it! :good:

Edited by Tailhooker