Sign in to follow this  
VONTOBLER

Balloon Effects

I know this is probably a weird request,but is there anything that has been done or could be done to improve the " BURNING" effects on observation balloons. I enjoy going after them in the game, but when they "GO UP" theres no smoke,no trickle of flame, just " KAAAAAAAABBOOOOOOOM!!!". A few years back I played "WINGS OF WAR", what the game lacked in realistic game play it made up for in certain effects. I thought the observation ballon and zepplin explosions were were very well done, and just was wondering if there could be anything to improve them for FIRST EAGLES.

Thank You

VonTobler

Just my guess from playing with 3D Max a while back is that to get a fire trail as it crept around the balloon and then lets say it folds in on it self as it loses air and then the firey heap kida flutters to the ground .... Im guessing the modeling would be hard in this engine.

But, If you look at the planes on the airfield as you strafe them and the plane disappears and a huge explosion appears and has plane parts in the fire. So its kind of something thats a bit closer to what your talking about.

The balloon would have to be more along the lines of an animation of each crease in the fabric and then have a fire module start a flame sequence as the balloon disappears in flames and a smoke effect and drops to the ground kinda like the planes do now.

I think Laton, Eml, or one of the mod people with a current version of Max might be able to make the animations up and get the collapse to look right. The fire mod I think is a plug in for max and has smoke available. Now as to the question of getting that from Max to the game might be an issue. Not sure really. Im sure one of the mod guys here will clarify the problems getting that done.

I would love to see the balloons have a much better graphic as well.

If you like a balloon hunt try the cambrai objusts.ini for that map I have here at CA. its a huge addition to the amount of balloons on the map. I also included 2-3 AAA positions around the added balloons so its a bit more of a threat to attack.

Edited by Firecage

Just my guess from playing with 3D Max a while back is that to get a fire trail as it crept around the balloon and then lets say it folds in on it self as it loses air and then the firey heap kida flutters to the ground .... Im guessing the modeling would be hard in this engine.

But, If you look at the planes on the airfield as you strafe them and the plane disappears and a huge explosion appears and has plane parts in the fire. So its kind of something thats a bit closer to what your talking about.

The balloon would have to be more along the lines of an animation of each crease in the fabric and then have a fire module start a flame sequence as the balloon disappears in flames and a smoke effect and drops to the ground kinda like the planes do now.

I think Laton, Eml, or one of the mod people with a current version of Max might be able to make the animations up and get the collapse to look right. The fire mod I think is a plug in for max and has smoke available. Now as to the question of getting that from Max to the game might be an issue. Not sure really. Im sure one of the mod guys here will clarify the problems getting that done.

I would love to see the balloons have a much better graphic as well.

If you like a balloon hunt try the cambrai objusts.ini for that map I have here at CA. its a huge addition to the amount of balloons on the map. I also included 2-3 AAA positions around the added balloons so its a bit more of a threat to attack.

I do appreciate you response and have your cambrai file and will give it a try.

Thank You again,

VonTobler