Sign in to follow this  
arf16

Colleges

So I got into Virginia Tech, Purdue, NC State, and University of Virginia. I got wait listed at RPI. I here from my last school tomorrow night. I'll post updates on that and my decisions later.

Edited by arf16

Good luck and let us know.

I have been and always will be a Hurricane. :wink:

...and I did not get into Yale. Oh well, one less to have to choose from.

Right now I'm torn between VT and UVA. I really liked Tech when I visited it, and has a really nice campus and a more established engineering program, but UVA is more prestigious in name, has a pretty nice campus, and has one of the best crew teams in the country (rowing something I'll be involved in no matter where I go). UVA also has a pretty interesting engineering program.

I'm a Purdue Aero grad B.S. 1996 I can tell ya all you want to know.

I visited Purdue just 2 weeks ago and liked it a lot, but VT is a lot closer to home and has a nicer campus and, according to Princeton Review, has the best on campus dining in the nation.

BTW, if anyone's wondering, I plan on majoring in mechanical engineering then work in the automotive industry.

Edited by arf16

If ME is your Major, and all the mfg's are near Detroit, you would be amazed at what Purdue can offer. I would never go to a school based on their ability to make food....although Purdue does have a Restaurant and Hotel Mngt BS.

Purdue is an Engineering School. I respect your option of staying close to home, but remember that your choice is about your future....

Purdue also has major automotive facilities close by....There's a Subaru plant in LAF, as well as being close to those in DET.... There is a new Honda plant just south as well...so there is alot of automotive within 2-3 hours of Purdue to intern at....just an FYI

VT is awesome as well.

To me, VT and Purdue registered about equal in academics and student life, but VT has an added bonus of being an in-state school.

I know all about paying out of state fees. I'm from Michigan and went out of state to Purdue.

[Mesmorize] You will go to Purdue. You will be a Boilermaker and enjoy it. You will eat at the XXX and enjoy weekends at Harry's Chocolate Shop. You will GO UGLY EARLY! Go Purdue! Go Purdue! Hail Purdue! [/Mesmorize]

I just visited UVA this weekend and I really liked what I saw there. I had a great interview with the crew coach there and he told me that most of their coxswains (the small people with Napoleonic complexes who steer the boat and yell a lot) are graduating this year, so as an experienced cox, I have a very good chance of doing very well on their teams. I just have to visit VT next weekend to make sure this is what I really I want to do.

I'm a Purdue Aero grad B.S. 1996 I can tell ya all you want to know.

You graduated in BS...? :smile:

Soooo.... after much thought and consideration, I have decided to enroll at the University of Virginia. No one tell Dagger, though :ninja: .

J/K. But seriously all of the schools I was considering are extremely good schools, and this was one of the hardest decisions of my life. And I mean no disrespect if I choose this school over your alma mater or something like that. I chose the school I thought would be best for me.

- "this was one of the hardest decisions of my life"

hehehe...dont worry, life gets more entertaining and gives more things to ponder...

- "this was one of the hardest decisions of my life"

hehehe...dont worry, life gets more entertaining and gives more things to ponder...

When I was young and thinking like a young man thinks with all of the maturity I could muster, the Auburn University (Alabama) campus was the MOST target-rich environment on the planet (I visited most of the other SEC schools too). It had then and has now the best crop of FINE southern ladies available. Did a four year recon mission and picked the one to suit my fancy. 35 years later she is still a southern beauty in my eyes. Did the education thing too, but all of that best educational institution stuff is a bunch of bunk anyway. You get what you strive for in college, regardless of the institution or it's rep. Three years out of school nobody cares what your GPA was or where it was from. Might as well attend a school with a good football team so you can act like an alumini and dress up like a fool every Saturday.

At the end of the day, it's all about quality cheap beer and the results of that intense recon mission.

UVA's football team might nor be number one, but their crew team is ranked 15th in the country, and thats the team that matters to me :biggrin:

When I was young and thinking like a young man thinks with all of the maturity I could muster, the Auburn University (Alabama) campus was the MOST target-rich environment on the planet (I visited most of the other SEC schools too). It had then and has now the best crop of FINE southern ladies available. Did a four year recon mission and picked the one to suit my fancy. 35 years later she is still a southern beauty in my eyes. Did the education thing too, but all of that best educational institution stuff is a bunch of bunk anyway. You get what you strive for in college, regardless of the institution or it's rep. Three years out of school nobody cares what your GPA was or where it was from. Might as well attend a school with a good football team so you can act like an alumini and dress up like a fool every Saturday.

At the end of the day, it's all about quality cheap beer and the results of that intense recon mission.

Amen to that. Almost 15 years after my graduation no one cares where I went or what my degree was in. That only matters for your first, maybe 2nd jobs, out of school. After that it's where you worked and what you did that makes the difference.

Gentlemen thats very heartening considering that law school seems to be the death of me( having fallen foul of a very political administration in addition to being a non-conformist) and that my girl will be leaving me for England in a year when I get into my final.

good luck man... good for you :)

absolutely right on!!!!!

Where you got your degree matters not one little bit. What you do with what you learned, and CONTINUE TO LEARN is what matters a lot more. Actual acomplishments (like GPA) make far more of a difference than where you went to school. Results matter - nothing else comes close.

Resumes for positions look at the last few years only relative to the position you are looking for. "What have you done lately?" is what gets you to your goals.

Good luck - study hard. But not too hard. If you aren't having fun, you are not doing it right.

:good: