Sign in to follow this  
skyline

I find very hard to dogfight in Normal mode of WOE series!

I'm a newbie come to WOE. In easy mode, i can easy take out any enemy. When i try normal, i feel very hard to take out enemy from dogfight. Please give me advice how to practice in this mode. Thanks!

Practice makes perfect. You will probably die over 1000 times before learn the skills of air combat. This is normal for someone who is a beginner, so try to be patient and persistent.

This is the reason that not many people play flight simulations.

Also buy yourself a decent joystick, cause there's no trade without a proper tool.

Edited by Mladuna

Thanks! I will practice. I using Gravis Xterminator Dual Control to play Wings over Europe. Does anyone have good setup for this joystick? I think most fans of Wing over series can play good at Hard mode.

Hi pilot :biggrin:

Do not be affraid. Normal mode is not so hard. You need just some skill. Skill you get in practise. Fly, fly, fly :wink: Use your external views too. Lock your enemies/targets with your visual "lock" keys "R" "T" and for ground targets "E". Use ECM ("Z") and chaffs/flares ("X" and "C") dispensers if your aircraft is equiped with dispensers.

Take a look here too: http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?showt...&hl=gunnery

And fly, fly, fly :yes:

PS: your tactics in F-4 is different to F-15 tactics or F-100 tactics.

So this all mean that I agree with Mladuna :hi:

Edited by kukulino

I'm a newbie come to WOE. In easy mode, i can easy take out any enemy. When i try normal, i feel very hard to take out enemy from dogfight. Please give me advice how to practice in this mode. Thanks!

OK noob, :wink:

I never give advice, for fear that I will be completely off target. But I think I can handle your request.

1. Learn how to use the SPARROW's. FLY only your F-15A.

2. NEVER go to enemy territory. ONLY select COMBAT AIR PATROL.

3. USE 50% fuel OR LESS.

4. Never get closer than 4 miles to ANY potential air target. (see #1 above).

5. If you are worried about your wingmen, order them to RTB.

6. If (1-5) still do not work, then go to Column5's Site and download an F-16 (any model will do).

7. When using your sidewinders remember, they are heat seekers, so you "fire and forget" them. (i.e. move on quickly to the next unfortunate target).

8. Almost forgot! NEVER fly in Campaign mode.

Do not be affraid. Normal mode is not so hard. You need just some skill. Skill you get in practise. Fly, fly, fly Use your external views too. Lock your enemies/targets with your visual "lock" keys "R" "T" and for ground targets "E". Use ECM ("Z") and chaffs/flares ("X" and "C") dispensers if your aircraft is equiped with dispensers.

9. You don't need any of this stuff. (see #1 and #4 above).

Edited by Stwa

Yeah the F-15A in 1979 with AIM-9Ls and AIM-7Ms is a great way to get your confidence up in the default game.

Just use your radar in TWS mode and use your sparrows - always make sure you ID the target as enemy or freindly. In the 70's you may have had an AWACs to help you out (before awacs visual ID only)- which isnt modelled in this game - however once you lock a target with the radar use ctrl+R (i think) to target the locked jet - this will tell you if its an enemy or not.

If they fire a missile you can dump both chaff and flares (the f-15 carries loads) and thats good enough to spoof the stock soviet missiles.

If your RWR is buzzing the inbound could be radar (chaff)- if there is nothing buzzing then its gonna be an IR missile (so flares)

If you hear "he's firing a missile" take evasive action regardless (you will learn over time that you can ignore this at your peril)

Also once in close you cant miss with the AIM-9Ls

Of course how you fly will depend on the jet and era you are in - i.e. in 1962 you will be guns only and always merging so you wont have to worry about their missiles - however taking on Mig-17s in a Hawker Hunter can be pretty difficult.

Edited by CoolHand29

I think i must practice dogfight very much. Coz in WOE doesn't have unlimited missile. I often went out missiles before mission complete. Then i go to dogfight and K.I.A :rolleyes: . I usually choose F15C in WOE. Before i play F22 lightning 3 and Mig 29 Fulcrum.

Edited by skyline

Someone metioned a book here about fighter tactics.

THEE book on tactics is Shaws "Fighter Combat". If you're serious about learning the craft, this book is a must have. It is very in-depth and not for the feint at heart, but studying it will give you the knowledge you'll need to become a better stick.

I think i must practice dogfight very much. Coz in WOE doesn't have unlimited missile. I often went out missiles before mission complete. Then i go to dogfight and K.I.A :rolleyes: . I usually choose F15C in WOE. Before i play F22 lightning 3 and Mig 29 Fulcrum.

10. NEVER fight when you are out of Sparrow's. :no:

11. Probably, for most American birds of the era, just like in WW2, the very first rule is .... NEVER DOGFIGHT with the enemy. :dntknw: You might get killed, and you're flyin a 20 million dollar jet, not to mention the cost to train you to fly.

Edited by Stwa

Please tell me how to use Sparrow. I don't know using radar to fire it. Now i can win in dogfight 1vs1 in normal mode. I will practice dogfight 1vs2. Thanks everyone!