Sign in to follow this  
sparkomatic

how many of you were even born...

Well, I predate the ORIGINAL G.I. Joe and I regret every day not keeping some of that stuff.

I think I love the Tomcat so much coz they flew something that looked like it against Cobra.

I was an impressionable kid back then. Weren't we all in those days of innocence?

Oh yeah; My favourite guy was Snake-Eyes.

when this was cool:

http://gijoe.wikia.com/wiki/Joepedia:G.I._Joe_vs._Cobra

(eh, not the website, the subject material)

When I could finally afford it as a teenager, they were only making the "adventure team" line in 1/6th...pi_ _ed me off. I really liked those army jackets, helmets, backpacks, digging fox holes, using the tents, etc...It was the Vietnam war and people didn't like army stuff (really can't blame them though).

I remember the original G.I. Joe. In 1968 I had one of the talking versions which I wish I still had today just for the collectors value. That and all my comics. :doh:

1968? I guess it's within a year older than me. I was never too interested in it honestly. I was always more interested in Apollo, the Eagle, and Tranquility base which was the month after I was born.

I grew up with the 80's reincarnation. I had absolutely tons of that stuff, including the F-14. Although it was called Action Force in the UK. I'm pretty sure it all got packed away with all the other attic junk and shipped to Australia when my parents moved.

I grew up with the original Joe. My friends and I would spend hours in the back yard playing with them. For Xmas a few years ago I received a 12" GI Joe wearing ABF flight deck gear. Family got it because I was a Grape on the Sara. It's still in the box. Not going to lose this one.

Now that my best friend and I are older and the money we are able to buy back some of our memories and childhood. I'm still trying to get a refund on my mis-spent youth however. :blink:

Well, I remember GI Joe in 1966. I had the Jeep with the recoiless rifle and spot light.

Guess I am really old.

GI Joe is the "Man"

I had a few of the original Joes....they faded out when I was about five, and then I had a ton of the Joe/Cobra stuff....

Lawl, the 1980s. Love it or hate it, some of us went through that stage.

I used to watch it a lot back when I was a kid >.> .

Guest Bounder
Well, I remember GI Joe in 1966. I had the Jeep with the recoiless rifle and spot light.

Guess I am really old.

GI Joe is the "Man"

got ya beat I had the GI Joe when the first came out ,and SECRET SAM remember him?

Wow looks like all of you guys are old :grandpa: I was born in '82 so i didn;t catch the original but i do remember watching some of the cartoons, but i think they were the newer ones.

Wow looks like all of you guys are old :grandpa: I was born in '82 so i didn;t catch the original but i do remember watching some of the cartoons, but i think they were the newer ones.

Same here, I could barely remember what happened in the 1980s cartoons. But then again, the 1980s are the era where cartoons = big market.

Born in '81 so yeah I also got the gust of the Joe vs Cobra 80's wave...

Though overall my fav entertainment back then was admittedly Transformers :cool:

Btw, I think they're making a GI Joe movie, a live action one this time (it was actually scheduled to come out before the Transformers one, then the studios said it would better to make Transformers instead of GI Joe, with the army guys in the movie actually being inspired by GI Joe - those buggies sure look like A.W.E. Strikers :blink: now they've planned to do a GI Joe movie - wonder if there's going to be a tie-in with the Transformers universe? If one would remember the 80's cartoon episode "Only Human", such an idea wouldn't be too far-fetched, considering that the comics already had a tie-in as well... Oh well, guess there's nothing left to do but wait and see...

Guess I am really old.

GI Joe is the "Man"

Yep, and a little later the Desert Jeep with the .50cal on the back a la the Rat Patrol TV series. A friend of mine had all the other nationalities. British, German, Japanese, Russian, even a French "commando" figure.

Yep, I grew up seeing the cartoons every morning as I ate breakfast getting ready for school. I think they aired at 7 AM, right after I got up, and I left the house around 740-745 to go to the bus stop.

The best were the GI Joe PSAs at the end of the show, as showcased in Family Guy when Chris was going to drink in the boys' bathroom.

"Now we know."

"And knowing is half the battle."

"GI JOE!"

Those Fenslerfilm spoofs of those PSAs are awesome, too.

I never had any of the toys, though, I was a Star Wars guy. :wink: I had a friend who had all of them, though, so we could have GI Joe and the Rebels vs Cobra and the Empire. :biggrin:

I think I still have the GI JOE Comic #1 in the garage in the comic box. I had few toys too. The rattler, the F14 clone, the X31 (F-16 with forward swept wings), the Hummer clone, the motorbike with the cannon side mount, the Abrams clone, HAWK missile battery clone, an AA gun wheeled trailer for the jeep, the snowcat, the killer whale hovercraft.

I wanted the Nightraven, that aircraft looked bad ass.

Falcon

Guest 531_Ghost

My first Joe:

gi_joe_1964-2.jpg

I had a original G.I. Joe when i was really little, but i really got into the 80s toy line. I had so much of this stuff, really makes me wonder what happened to it all. The names escape me right now but i had the A-10 VTOL,a Couple of the Jeeps,the motorcycle with the mini-gun side car,The jetpack,The cobra mini-copter,HISS tank and just about all of the action figures up until about the time of the duke mail away offer when i quit collecting.

In Todays World, War toys are not PC, but i think that playing out battles makes a child think a little more than the foo foo jolly happy toys that kids today play with. Maybe it was just me, but i would plan out entire battles and play for hours. Now when my friends children have birthdays or holidays i always give em war toys. Its actually kinda cool to see that the plain old plastic army men will keep kids busy for hours.

I recently dug out my 3 large boxes of Joes and their equipment (I still have a lot of them). They aren't that expensive on ebay (unless in the package). I have the XP-14F Skystriker was the F-14 type plane used by GI Joe. The A-10 vtol aircraft was the Rattler (Cobra). The X-30 Conquest was the FSW fighter that came out later in the series. http://www.yojoe.com/

There is a GI Joe movie coming out next year.

Here is a picture of Ray Park as Snake Eyes (Commando/Ninja)

snakeeyes2-1.jpg

snakeeyes1-1.jpg

Edited by USMC Hawker

You know what... you get this mental image of a tough guy who can handle himself, takes no bull etc. Then what...he gets out his GI Joe and :haha:

What is it about boys and their toys?...err sorry, collectables!