Sign in to follow this  
Fubar512

I picked a helluva day.....

I picked a helluva day to try flying...

gallery_279_43_57625.jpg

Careful, the lightning might get you.

Very nice work. Are those black clouds or large oil fires?

Careful, the lightning might get you.

Very nice work. Are those black clouds or large oil fires?

LOL..still working on the lightning, and the "fog" transparency issue. The default overcast and inclement cloud decks needed some updating, so I did this:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...si&img=5586

ehh..... what engines is your eagle running on ? good old coal dust powered machines huh...

fawk the environment!!!1

make all peoples fight in the shade!!1

Coooooooool job!

i hope you release a full enviroiment pack hehe

Edited by Silverbolt

Fubar... you mean real lightning? :blink:

I think someone (CA_Starry I think) was able to solve the fog and .TGA transparency issue... might wanna look into that.

LOL..still working on the lightning, and the "fog" transparency issue. The default overcast and inclement cloud decks needed some updating, so I did this:

http://forum.combatace.com/index.php?autoc...si&img=5586

This has to be one of the most difficult mods to build. You have done a magnificent job thus far, but if you are open to suggestions, I would make the fade from the dark thundestorms to the open air above the storms a quick, but more gradual fade to clear in the vertical. In the horizontal, in my experience, the change from in the dark clouds to in the clear is very rapid, although I have to admit having encountered the way you have modelled it as well. Depends on whether you are in the Amazon or in Europe. Most of the time the time of day is a factor with mid-afternoon when the weather really becomes 'merde'. Simulating lightning is simple. A quick whiteout and a crack of thunder. If done properly, it will scare the poo out of you. Leave those instrument lights turned up high so you can return to situational awareness quickly. Keep up the good work.

Fubar... you mean real lightning? :blink:

I think someone (CA_Starry I think) was able to solve the fog and .TGA transparency issue... might wanna look into that.

Yes, real, fill up your shorts when it catches you off guard, lightning. The issue with the "fog" is the effect as the aircraft goes through the cloud layer...not the clouds.

This has to be one of the most difficult mods to build. You have done a magnificent job thus far, but if you are open to suggestions, I would make the fade from the dark thundestorms to the open air above the storms a quick, but more gradual fade to clear in the vertical. In the horizontal, in my experience, the change from in the dark clouds to in the clear is very rapid, although I have to admit having encountered the way you have modelled it as well. Depends on whether you are in the Amazon or in Europe. Most of the time the time of day is a factor with mid-afternoon when the weather really becomes 'merde'. Simulating lightning is simple. A quick whiteout and a crack of thunder. If done properly, it will scare the poo out of you. Leave those instrument lights turned up high so you can return to situational awareness quickly. Keep up the good work.

Jug,

Thanks for sharing your experiences. I want to ensure that this effect is as authentic as possible.

The only time I witnessed lightning from the air, was on a flight from Houston to Newark. The storm cells were well off in the distance, and our pilot was of course, trying to get around them. Still, it was a neat light show from 30,000 feet and 50 or so miles away!

Simulating lightning is not easy in this series. You need to position it so it's random, yet you cannot have 30-40 bolts coming down at once...lol I'm using a lightning bolt tga that appears for less than a twentieth of a second, and the same flash effect that I use with nukes. The issue is again one of being able to see it through the clouds and cloud layer "fog". Sometimes you cannot see it, but the game "hiccups" for a split-second when it occurs, so I know it's happening somewhere in the SF virtual world.