Sign in to follow this  
Viggen

F-16 Block 60 Question

So on another forum an arguement has started about the F-16E/F Block 60s. A guy is saying there are F-16C Block 60s. Myself and another member (who happens to live in the Block 60's home of the UAE) are saying that the only Block 60s are the E and F. Who is right? I just want to end it before hell breaks loose.

I might as well post the arguement.

Here's an idea:

F-16C Block 60(or, hey, even an F-16E or F desert falcon!),

The Block 60 are the F-16E and F-16F Desert Falcons.

No, they are not. The E and F and an added ECM suite. Block 60 is simply Block 50/52 with the addition of CFTs.

the USAF fleet is going to be upgraded to Block 60 standard if not enough F-35s can be procured. He also said the US Block 60 will no contain the ECM suite in the spine, so if that IS from wikipedia, it is wrong. The Desert Falcon is most comparable to Israel's F-16Ds.

Well, your either lying because you got a fact wrong and want to make up, or you are very gullible. The Block 60 is only in use with the UAE, of which I live in, and are only the F-16E and Fs.

No, NOW we will clear this up. The F-16E/F in your country, take a look, see that big avionics spine that houses the ECM gear? Not standard on the F-16 block 60 (or the C model for that reason.) Do your research kid. Just because you live on a sand dune does not make you an expert on these aircraft.

I live next to the AF Base and I know the pilots that fly the Block 60.

Well, eh, who is right?

Well this

"No, they are not. The E and F and an added ECM suite. Block 60 is simply Block 50/52 with the addition of CFTs."

is wrong - the Block 60 is based on the Block 50/52 yes, it does have CFTs yes - however if you see the link ive sent you it has an AESA radar, totally new cockpit layout, internal FLIR system, and supposedly an ASPJ

Basically the block 60 is the most advanced F-16 by a mile

The USAF block 50/52 have to carry ECM pods (centre line) and FLIR pods on the sides of the intake if they want the same capability. They still only have the APG-68 radar too - although I have read that a new smaller AESA is being developed (Grumman?) and may be fitted as part of a future upgrade but havnt seen anything confirmed in regards to upgrading the USAF fleet to Block 60 - they may even just upgrade to Block 70 by the time they get funding!

As for this:

" The Desert Falcon is most comparable to Israel's F-16Ds."

I think they probably meant F-16I - but ive no idea whats in that - its mostly Iraeli avionics!!

Coolhand is correct. The Block 60 is a different aircraft from the 50/52s.

Been pretty neat, talking to UAE guys about it. Heck, been trying to teach a UAE guy how to land from the back seat in the T-38C the last couple of days. We've had great discussions on the UAE, Block 60s, training programs, etc. Almost every UAE guy that comes through speaks good to excellent (as in almost no accent) English, pretty fun to hang around with...

Viggy (heh, heh), even if you give this information, you probably aren't going to win the forum battle. It's the internet...go figure. Everyone's right on the internet...in their own mind anyway..

Save your energy for something else.

FastCargo

Tell him it's not a good idea to take Wikipedia's word for granted, it's not a primary source of information, as it can be edited by anyone. Like Coolhand has done, give him reputable sources like F-16.net or Joe Baugher's site, and he won't have a leg to stand on.

It's very simple--the F-16C Blk 60 was redesignated the F-16E, and the 2-seat D was renamed the F. Plain and to the point.

There aren't two separate planes with differing equipment, it's the same thing. Like the Su-27K became the Su-33, or the F-5G became the F-20.